Built in 1968, the Centennial Centre is occupied by a wide variety of student organizations, services and facilities, including the MacDonald Campus Students' Society, Student Health Services, and modern Food and Nutrition labs. It also houses the Lyman Entomological Museum, whose insect collection consists of over 2.8 million specimens, making it the largest university insect collection in the country.
Inaugurated in 1921, the museum is named after renowned Montreal collector David Ross McCord, who bequeathed his extensive collection Canadian artifacts to open a national history museum in Montreal. Although once housed in an old mansion on campus, this Montreal institution at has inhabited its current location, the former Students' Union building, since 1971 with major renovations taking place in 1991.
The namesake of Ernest Rutherford, one of McGill's most famous radiation physicists, special precautions were taken when it was built in 1977 to make it as stable and tremor-resistant as possible, The ground floor contains offices and large lecture rooms, and the building is home to a museum that also bears Mr. Rutherford's name.
Built in 1965, the Centre was designed to accommodate all the offices and meeting rooms needed by the Students' Society of McGill University (SSMU) and McGill's vast assortment of social and cultural clubs. Known to students as the Shatner Building, it is three times the size of the old Student Union Building, which now houses the McCord Museum.