Named after the original home of James McGill, Burnside Hall was constructed for the Faculty of Science in 1970. An underground tunnel system connects it to additional Science and Engineering buildings.
Constructed in 1971, this building's many tiered levels and brick facing allow it to blend in with the older mansions surrounding it despite its modern style.
This modern addition to the storied Schulich School of Music building opened in 2006, and houses a world-class sound studio, audio research labs, the Marvin Duchow Music Library, a 200-seat recital hall and the Wirth Opera Rehearsal Room.
In 1971, Samuel Bronfman donated this building to McGill to house the newly opened Desautels Faculty of Management. In 2004, renovations to the main floor were completed, including the addition of a steel and granite canopy over the outside entrance.
Considered one of the most innovative libraries in existence at the time of its construction in 1893, the library's design by architect Sir Arthur Taylor used steel book stacks and glass floors to make the building fireproof. There is a considerable amount of ornament about this Richardsonian Romanesque building, including gargoyles, arches, stained glass and the Redpath crest, an ostrich holding a key.
Build between 1967 and 1969, McLennan is the largest of McGill's libraries. It was named in honour of Isabella McLennan, who had previously made a significant donation to McGill with which to purchase books.
Build between 1967 and 1969, McLennan is the largest of McGill's libraries. It was named in honour of Isabella McLennan, who had made a significant donation to McGill with which to purchase books.