Inaugurated in 1921, the museum is named after renowned Montreal collector David Ross McCord, who bequeathed his extensive collection Canadian artifacts to open a national history museum in Montreal. Although once housed in an old mansion on campus, this Montreal institution at has inhabited its current location, the former Students' Union building, since 1971 with major renovations taking place in 1991.
In 1971, Samuel Bronfman donated this building to McGill to house the newly opened Desautels Faculty of Management. In 2004, renovations to the main floor were completed, including the addition of a steel and granite canopy over the outside entrance.
Built in 1936, Douglas Hall was originally an all-men's residence for graduate students. While this residence is now co-ed, the structure itself remains unchanged from its original conception.
Built in 1976, this former hotel is the newest of McGill's residences and houses over 600 students on 12 floors. It is attached to an underground shopping centre, and conveniently located near many of area amenities, including McGill's athletics facilities.
Considered one of the most innovative libraries in existence at the time of its construction in 1893, the library's design by architect Sir Arthur Taylor used steel book stacks and glass floors to make the building fireproof. There is a considerable amount of ornament about this Richardsonian Romanesque building, including gargoyles, arches, stained glass and the Redpath crest, an ostrich holding a key.
Founded in 1899, Royal Victoria College was originally the women's college at McGill, and today is the only all-female residence. When part of the college was converted to become the Strathcona Music Building, a new addition to the College was created along University Street.
Founded in 1899, Royal Victoria College was originally the women's college at McGill. When part of the college was converted to become the Strathcona Music Building, a new addition to the College was created along University Street.