Departments and Schools
Built in 1897, this brick mansion was donated to the Royal Victoria Hospital in 1941 by Lady Meredith, the daughter of its original owner. Originally used as a nurses residence, McGill acquired the house in 1975, but shared it with the Hospital for many years. On January 7, 1990, it was broken into and set on fire. Although minimal damage was done, McGill took the opportunity to renovate the house to its original elegance.
The Lyman Duff Medical Building was constructed in the 1960's to provide additional space to the Pathological Institute. It now provides modern labs and facilities for several departments, and houses four additional laboratories for the Sheldon Biotechnology Centre in its Gatehouse.
This building is used by the McGill Centre for Research and Teaching on Women, which promotes research and teaching in the field of women's studies. The McGill Childcare Centres also share this space.