This page contains information on the areas that have been set aside specifically for graduate students in Library branches across campus:
- Humanities and Social Sciences Library
- Islamic Studies Library
- Macdonald Campus Library
- Marvin Duchow Music Library
- Nahum Gelber Law Library
- Schulich Library of Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, and Engineering
Humanities and Social Sciences Library
PhD study room
- Spaces reserved for PhD students in the Faculty of Arts (postdoctoral fellows and other doctoral students may be considered as well)
- Quiet and secure working space, only accessible to approved students
- Assigned desks with lockable drawers
Read the guidelines for the PhD study room
Request a desk in the PhD study room
Graduate study rooms
- Small rooms to be shared by two students in the Faculty of Arts, on floors 2 to 6 of the McLennan Library Building
- Preference is given to graduate students who are currently writing theses or preparing for comprehensive exams
- Study rooms cannot be used for meetings or as personal offices
- Students are provided with a carrel borrower's card, allowing them to keep books on hold during the session, as long as they are not requested by others
Who may apply
- Numbered carrels are for the personal use of graduate students
- Designed for individual study, fitted with side partitions
- Books charged to a carrel borrower's card may be kept on hold during the session, as long as they are not requested by others
- Undergraduate honours students writing theses may also apply, by showing that they are registered in an honours program
How to reserve a carrel
- Carrels are assigned on a first come, first served basis to qualifying students
- To reserve a carrel desk in the Humanities and Social Sciences Library, please come to the Library Services desk with your McGill ID card during service hours
Who may apply
- Numbered lockers on the third floor of the McLennan Library are for the personal use of graduate students and are assigned for the term
Please note: We are unable to offer lockers to students who have been assigned a study room or carrel.
- Library books kept in the lockers must be charged out to the borrower's card
- Storing food in the locker is prohibited
- McGill Library staff can request to check the content of the locker at any time
- Students must supply their own locks, the library will not be responsible for lost or stolen personal property
How to reserve a locker
- Locker are assigned on a first come, first served basis to qualifying students
- To obtain a locker on the 3rd floor of the Humanities and Social Sciences Library, please come to the Library Services desk with your McGill ID card during service hours
Islamic Studies Library
- The Islamic Studies Library has a total of 42 study carrels for graduate students. These are available in the Octagon Room, in the Mirror Room and on the second floor.
- Group study areas are located in the Elevator Room and in the Fountain Room on the main floor
Macdonald Campus Library
Reserved storage cabinets
- Graduate student cabinets, available for one term only, on Level 3. Cabinet keys may be borrowed from the Loans Desk.
Marvin Duchow Music Library
Graduate students in Music have two options with respect to carrels and study rooms for their specific use in the Music Library. They may sign up for carrel space in the public reading areas of the 5th floor or they may request a carrel in A407 or A507 if they are preparing for their comprehensive exams.
For more information, please consult:
Guidelines for Music graduate student carrels and study rooms (pdf) | Isoloirs et locaux d’étude pour étudiantes et étudiants aux cycles supérieurs en musique - Politique d’utilisation (pdf)
Nahum Gelber Law Library
- Graduate students are entitled to apply for a reserved study space on the 5th floor, to which library materials may be signed out.
- There are 21 locked cubicles, and 27 desks in the open stacks.
- Use the application form to request a space.
- The type of space a student is entitled to is assigned by the Associate Dean, Graduate Studies.
Schulich Library of Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, and Engineering
Reserved storage cabinets
- Rooms 411 and 412.
- Semi-private desks with locking cabinets.
- Available to graduate students on a first come, first served basis.
- To reserve, contact the schulichloans [dot] library [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Schulich Loans desk) .