Faculty and students from outside of Canada
- You can purchase a library McGill Library Borrowing Card, which allows you to borrow from the Library.
- The cost is $100 for 6 months or $200 for 12 months.
- McGill Library Borrowing Cards are valid in all McGill branch libraries, subject to the borrowing policies of individual collections.
- A McGill Library Borrowing Card may only be used by the person to whom it is issued.
- The expiration date is calculated from the date of payment.
- Fines or other sanctions are imposed for late returns and cards may be cancelled if misused.
Note: Purchasing a McGill Library Borrowing Card does not provide remote access to the Library’s electronic resources, nor does it give you access to all Library services and resources. More »
To purchase a McGill Library Borrowing Card:
- Complete the McGill Library Borrowing Card Application Form.
- Visit any Library Services Desk at any branch except the Birks Reading Room.
- All major credit cards and Interac are accepted.
- Bring a photo ID & proof of address.
Once your application has been processed, you will be provided with a McGill Library Borrowing Card that you can use to borrow items.
Note: Students and faculty members from universities outside Canada must return items borrowed to the McGill Library.
|Loan period||Max number of renewals||Max number of items||Overdue fines||Recall fines1|
|Books (Regular loan)||3 weeks||Unlimited||30||$0.50/day||+ $5.00/day|
|Journals||1 week||1||30||$0.50/day||+ $5.00/day|
|Audio/video materials; Maps||1 week||1||6||$2.00/day||+ $5.00/day|
|Scores||3 weeks||2||30||$0.50/day||+ $5.00/day|
1 All loans are subject to immediate recall if needed for reserves, or after 14 days from the date of the original loan if requested by another library user. AV and Map loans are subject to recall after 7 days. When you receive a recall notice from the Library, you must return the item by the new (possibly earlier) due date or you will be charged $5 per day, with a maximum fine of $100 per item. You will be blocked from borrowing if you have $30 or more owing to the library or one overdue recalled item.