Macdonald-Stewart Library Building
809 Sherbrooke Street West
Montreal, Quebec H3A 0C1
- Atmospheric & Oceanic Sciences
- Civil Engineering & Applied Mechanics
- Manufacturing Management
- Mechanical Engineering
Date and time: Tuesdays from 11-12pm (Winter 2018)
Location: Room 206 (main floor), Schulich Library of Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, and Engineering
Please email: tara.mawhinney [at] mcgill.ca to make an appointment outside these hours.
Responsible for providing information services and collections to support the Departments of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, Civil Engineering and Applied Mechanics, and Mechanical Engineering.
- Master of Library and Information Studies, McGill University, 2005
- Bachelor of Arts, English and French Literature, University of British Columbia, 1999
Areas of interest
- Virtual reference services (Virtual Reference Coordinator for McGill Library, 2017-present)
- Information literacy competencies in science and engineering
- Collection development
- Services for international students
- Discovery search tools
- Association of College & Research Libraries
- Canadian Association of Professional Academic Librarians
- Membership Committee, 2016-present
- CAUT Librarians' and Archivists' Committee, 2017-2020
- Chinese American Librarians Association
- Engineering Libraries Division (ELD), American Society for Engineering Education
- Publications Committee, 2016-present
- McGill Association of University Teachers
- Membership Committee, 2013-present
- McGill Senate Committee on Libraries, 2015-2018
- McGill Library Brown Bag Lunch Series
- Co-organizer, 2013-present
- McGill Library Journal Club
Mawhinney, T., & Kochkina, S. (Forthcoming). Is the Medium the Message?: Examining Transactions Conducted Via Text in Comparison with Tradition Virtual Reference Methods. Journal of Library & Information Services in Distance Learning.
Mawhinney, T., & Zhao, J.C. (2017). Implementing a Peer Support Program for International Students: A Case Study at McGill University Library. In S. Arnold-Garza & C. Tomlinson (Eds.), Students Lead the Library: The Importance of Student Contributions to the Academic Library. Chicago: Association of College and Research Libraries. (free version)
Côté, M., Kochkina, S., & Mawhinney, T. (2016). Do You Want to Chat?: Reevaluating Organization of Virtual Reference Service at an Academic Library. Reference and User Services Quarterly, 56(1), 36-46. doi:10.5860/rusq.56n1.36 (free version)
Bain, C., Colosimo, A.C., Mawhinney, T., & Houle, L. (2016). Using WorldShare Collection Evaluation to Analyze Physical Science and Engineering Monograph Holdings by Discipline. Collection Management, 41(3), 133-151. doi:10.1080/01462679.2016.1208132 (free version)
Zhao, J.C., & Mawhinney, T. (2015). Comparison of Native Chinese-Speaking and Native English-Speaking Engineering Students' Information Literacy Challenges. Journal of Academic Librarianship, 41(6), 712-724. doi:10.1016/j.acalib.2015.09.010 (free version)
- Winner of the 2016 Chinese American Librarians Association Jing Liao Award for Best Research.
Spence, M., Saundry, A., Mawhinney, T., Dooley, S.J., & Barsky, E. Minding the Gaps: Comparing Engineering Research Output and Library Holdings at Four Large Universities. American Society for Engineering Education Conference, Seattle, WA, June 14-17, 2015.
Zhao, J.C., & Mawhinney, T. Identifying Challenges Faced by Chinese Undergraduate Engineering Students in Acquiring Information Literacy Skills – A Report on Survey Findings. American Society for Engineering Education Conference, Indianapolis, IN, June 15-18, 2014.
Barsky, E., Dooley, S., Mawhinney, T., Peterson, Z., & Spence, M. Influence of Discovery Search Tools on Science and Engineering E-books Usage. American Society for Engineering Education Conference, Atlanta, GA, June 23-26, 2013.
Spence, M., Mawhinney, T., & Barsky, E. (2012). How Much is Enough? Examining Computer Science and Civil Engineering Data to Inform Collection Development and Retention Decisions in Three Large Canadian University Libraries. Issues in Science and Technology Librarianship 71. doi:10.5062/F4ZS2TF7
Mawhinney, T. Social Network Sites for Engineers: A Necessary Distraction? Canadian Engineering Education Association Conference, Kingston, ON, June 7-9, 2010.
Lebowitz, A., & Mawhinney, T. (2010). The World Outside: The Shastri Indo-Canadian Institute. Access 16(1), 32-33.
Zhao, J., & Mawhinney, T. Peer-led Library Services for International Students. Chinese American Librarians Association Annual Poster Session, Orlando, FL, June 26, 2016. Poster presentation.
Zhao, J., & Mawhinney, T. Information Literacy Challenges Faced by Chinese Students. 13th Annual Concordia Library Research Forum, Montréal, QC, April 10, 2015.
Badia, G., Colosimo, A., Mawhinney, T., & Zhao, J. Enhancing Librarians' Roles in an Undergraduate Communications Course: An Evolutionary Timeline. Congrès des milieux documentaires du Québec, Montréal, QC, December 1-3, 2014. Poster presentation.