The Schulich Library of Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, and Engineering supports the teaching, learning and research of the staff and students of the Faculties of Dentistry, Engineering, Medicine and Science.
The Library occupies the former Macdonald Physics Building, which was built in 1893 by A.T. Taylor. Here, Ernest Rutherford conducted the research (1898 – 1907) that would eventually lead to his Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1908. The building was completely renovated and reopened in 1982 as the Macdonald-Stewart Library Building. At this time, physical sciences and engineering collections were merged and brought together important collections such as the Baillie Library of Chemistry and the Mossman Collection on the History of Science and Ideas.
In 2001 the Library was renamed the Schulich Library of Science and Engineering in honour of the family of Seymour Schulich (BSc’61, MBA’65), a generous benefactor of both the Library and the University.
In 2013, the life sciences library collections were merged with the physical sciences and engineering collections in the Schulich Library stacks, and in 2016 the Library was renamed Schulich Library of Physical Sciences, Life Sciences, and Engineering to reflect the expanded scope of collections and services.
Schulich Library Advisory Committee
The Schulich Library Advisory Committee is made up of faculty members representing each of the McGill faculties that we serve, as well as student (EUS, SUS, MSS, PGSS) representatives and librarians.
Schulich Library has an extensive collection of books and journals in the physical sciences, life sciences and engineering subject areas. In addition, a large body of online resources, e-journals and databases are available. Most current journals are available online and accessible from McGill Library WorldCat.