- McGill users only
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias (Electronic Databases)
- Comprehensive Shakespeare Dictionary
- Dictionary of Shakespeare (Peter Collin)
- Dictionary of Shakespeare (Oxford)
- Oxford Companion to Shakespeare
- Oxford English Dictionary
Searching the Library Catalogue
|Truncation symbol:||?||e.g. histor? will retrieve catalogue records containing the words history, histories, historical, etc.|
|Phrase searching:||"___"||e.g. "United Nations" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase United Nations|
|Boolean operators:||(), AND, OR, NOT
|e.g. history AND (Canada OR "United States") will retrieve catalogue records containing the word history AND either Canada OR the phrase United States|
Core and Additional Databases
Periodical Indexes, Bibliographies, Full-text (Electronic Databases)
- ArticleFirst 1990- (OCLC)
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (Web of Science), 1975-
- Electronic Collections Online 1995- (OCLC)
- ITER: Gateway to the Middle Ages and Rennaissance 1842-
Includes Shakespeare Quarterly.
- MLA Bibliography, 1963- (OVID)
- Project Muse
Includes Shakespeare Quarterly, v. 52, 2001-
- ProQuest Research Library
Includes full text of Shakespeare Studies, v.25, 1997-
- Wilson Humanities Abstracts, 1984- (OVID)
- World Shakespeare Bibliography 1972-
Other (Electronic Databases)
- Shakespeare Suite
Ask for CD-ROM at McLennan Reference.
Selected Internet Sites
Accessible to anyone with an Internet connection.
- McGill University English Department
- McGill Shakespeare Resources Page
Created by Wes Folkerth, a graduate student in the McGill Dept. of English for English 215. Provides comprehensive links to Shakespeare sites on the Web.
- Shakespeare Bookshelf (Internet Public Library)
From 1914 W.J. Craig edition of The Oxford Shakespeare also at Bartleby.
- Complete Works of William Shakespeare
Includes link to Shakespeare resources on the Internet.
- Internet Shakespeare Editions
By Michael Best, English Dept., University of Victoria.
- Mr. William Shakespeare and the Internet
Based on a Web server at Palomar College in Southern California. Maintained by Dr. Terry Gray. Sources, criticism, genealogy, authorship dispute, Elizabethan costumes, music and dance, etc.
- Shakespeare Authorship Page: Dedicated to the Proposition that Shakespeare Wrote Shakespeare
- Folger Shakespeare Library
- Electronic Shakespeare
Works, life, authorship debate, festivals, theatres, etc.
- Literary Resources: Renaissance
Maintained by Jack Lynch, Rutgers University.
Concordance (Internet Resources)
- Victorian Literary Studies Archive: Hyper-Concordance
To Shakespeare's works, among others.
E-Journals (Internet Resources)
- Shakespeare: a selective list of reference sources
- Shakespeare: A Student's Guide to Basic Reference Sources (1977)
Print copy only, available at the McLennan Reference Desk.