- McGill users only
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Cultural Geography : a Critical Dictionary of Key Concepts
- Dictionary of Human Geography
- Encyclopedia of Human Geography
- Encyclopedia of Urban Studies
- International Encyclopedia of Human Geography
- The Oxford Companion to Global Change
Searching the Library Catalogue
|Truncation symbol:||?||e.g. histor? will retrieve catalogue records containing the words history, histories, historical, etc.|
|Phrase searching:||"___"||e.g. "United Nations" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase United Nations|
|Boolean operators:||(), AND, OR, NOT
|e.g. history AND (Canada OR "United States") will retrieve catalogue records containing the word history AND either Canada OR the phrase United States|
- Africa-Wide Information - Multidisciplinary database covering all aspects of Africa and African Studies.
- CAB Abstracts - Covers research and development literature in the fields of agriculture, forestry, health, natural resources management and tourism.
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management Database - Multidisciplinary, comprehensive coverage of the environmental sciences.
- GEOBASE - Multidisciplinary database for human and physical geography, ecology, geology, oceanography, geomechanics and development studies.
- GreenFILE - Focuses on human impact on the environment. Topics covered include green issues, global climate change, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more.
- OECD iLibrary - Online library of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. OECD publications cover economic, environmental, and social issues including trade, education, labour, social policy, health, finance, development, energy, sustainability, and science and innovation.
- MEDLINE (1996- ) (or search via PubMed) - Journal article database of the National Library of Medicine in the U.S. Some coverage of health-related topics in Geography such as global health, social determinants of health, and climate change issues.
- PAIS International - Covers global public policy, social issues, demography, environmental studies, general social sciences.
- General Science Full Text - Scientific information, including: Conservation, Environment, Food, Health
- Scopus - A Full-text science and social sciences database that is capable of backward and forward citation linking and includes citation counts.
- Social Sciences Full Text - Coverage of both applied and theoretical aspects of the Social Sciences, in the areas of Addiction Studies, Anthropology, Area Studies, Community Health & Medical Care, Corrections, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Economics, Environmental Studies, Ethics, Family Studies, Gender Studies, Geography, Gerontology, International Relations, Law, Minority Studies, Planning & Public Administration, Policy Sciences, Political Science, Psychiatry, Psychology, Public Welfare, Social Work, Sociology, Urban Studies
- Urban Studies Abstracts - Covers areas essential to urban studies, including city planning, urban affairs, community development, transportation, and urban design.
- Web of Science - A multidisciplinary index to the journal literature of the Social Sciences, Arts & Humanities, and the Sciences. Allows for cited reference searching to find articles that cite a previously published work.
Grey Literature Sources
Non-academic or "in-house" literature outside of traditional publishing -- government documents, urban plans, reports, working papers, etc. If the source is a Google Custom Search, use the Google search tips here: google_tips_handout.pdf.
- Carleton University's Find Canadian Government Publications on the Web
Google Custom Search that searches across Canadian government websites with the option to limit to federal, provincial, or municipal information.
- Canadian electronic library: Canadian public policy collection
Publications from Canadian public policy institutes, government agencies, advocacy groups, think-tanks, university research centres and public interest groups.
- IGO Search
Google Custom Search of websites of over 3000 IGOs for reports and other publications. Maintained by the Union of International Associations (UIA).
- NGO Search
Custom Google Search of websites of IGO websites for reports and other publications
- Google Scholar
Searches scholarly literature across disciplines and sources and includes some grey literature.
- McGill Library Subject Guide for Theses and Dissertations
Lists sources for locating theses and dissertations from McGill and beyond.
- McGill Library Subject Guide for Conference Papers
Lists sources for locating conference papers and presentations. Conference papers and presentations report research in-progress.
Selected Internet Sites
- Atlas of Canada
From Natural Resources Canada; Provides a comprehensive collection of maps and related information about Canada
- CIA World Factbook
Provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military and transnational issues for 266 world entities
- Infomine: Maps & GIS
Compilation of country data and statistics that allows users to generate maps and graphs
- Povert Reduction and Equity: World Bank
- UN-HABITAT: United Nations Human Settlements Programme
- World Health Organization
- World Resources Institute
Updated November 2009 by J. Garland