- McGill users only
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
- Dictionary of African Mythology (Oxford)
- Encyclopaedia of Islam
- Encyclopedia of the African Diaspora: origins, experiences, and culture HSSL REF DT16.5 E53 2008 v.1-3
- New Encyclopedia of Africa 1200 entries on all aspects of Africa, including ethnic groups. HSSL REF DT2 N48 2008 v.1-5
Searching the Library Catalogue
|Truncation symbol:||?||e.g. africa? will retrieve catalogue records containing the words africa, africans, africaines, etc.|
|Phrase searching:||"___"||e.g. "south africa" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase south africa|
|Boolean operators:||(), AND, OR, NOT
|e.g. development AND (uganda OR "south africa") will retrieve catalogue records containing the word development AND either uganda OR the phrase south africa|
Core and Additional Databases
- Africa-Wide : NiPAD
- Anthropology Plus Incorporates Anthropological Literature and Anthropological Index
- eHRAF World Cultures
- Historical Abstracts
- Index Islamicus
- International Political Science Abstracts
- Social Sciences Full Text
- JSTOR African Studies
- PAIS International
- Status of Women in Africa 1968-1998
- World Bank Africa Database 1965-2000
- World Development Indicators (WDI) Online 1960-
- Early English Books Online (EEBO) 1475-1700
- Eighteenth Century Collections Online (ECCO)
- Empire Online
- House of Commons Parliamentary Papers, Great Britain, 19th century onwards
- Slavery, Abolition and Social Justice, 1490-2007
- Transatlantic Slave Trade 1595-1866
Selected Internet Sites
Accessible to anyone with an Internet connection.
- McGill University African Studies Program
- McGill Institute for the Study of International Development (ISID)
- Indian Ocean World Centre (McGill University)
- 160-324B African Politics
McGill University Department of Political Science. Includes list of web sites for primary sources on Africa.
- Ethnopsychiatry and Theories of "the African Mind": A Historical and Comparative Study
Article by N.J. Carson in MJM (McGill Journal of Medicine) 3:1(1997).
- Africa Portal
Full-text documents from books, journals etc. on African policy issues.
- African Studies (WWW Virtual Library)
- Africa South of the Sahara
- Africana Collection
Northwestern University Library.
- African Studies Association
The ASA, based at Rutgers University, publishes the African Studies review and the website has news for Africanists.
- African Studies Center, University of Pennsylvania
- Using Google for African Studies Research: A Guide to Effective Web Searching
By Hans M. Zell.
From the Norwegian Council for Africa (NOCA).
- African Online Digital Library
- African Human Rights Resource Center