- angella [dot] lambrou [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Angella Lambrou)
- Phone : 514 398 4475 09184#
- McGill users only
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
- angella [dot] lambrou [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Request a One on One Consult) - indicate YOUR specific availability and preferred times
- Life Sciences Library / Library Hours
- Accessing Online Resources - on and off campus
- McGill ID Card - required to borrow library material and enter the McIntyre Medical Sciences building after 6:00pm and on weekends
- Library Catalogue / Your Library Account - view material you have signed out, renewals, fines, etc
- Loan Periods for Students / Loan Periods for Staff
- Borrowing from Other Libraries (Interlibrary Loans)
- APA Style - a comprehensive guide to using the APA format in your research. APA Sample Paper. This site is maintained by Purdue University's Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- EndNote - download the latest version. A web version EndNote Web is also available. Questions? Contact an citations [dot] library [at] mcgill [dot] ca (EndNote specialist at McGill).
EndNote Training Videos on Youtube
- Refworks - recommended for undergraduate students. Questions? Contact a citations [dot] library [at] mcgill [dot] ca (RefWorks specialist at McGill).
Refworks Training Videos on Youtube
- Health Sciences Resources for your Mobile / Health Science Mobile Guide
- uPrint - printing in the McGill Libraries
- Additional Subject Guides in the Health Sciences
- A - Z Subject Guides - subject guides and resources in all disciplines
- Bates' Nursing Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking, 2012. Print only
- Bates' Visual Guide to Physical Examination - Pt 1. Anatomical Sections (Windows only)
- Bates' Visual Guide to Physical Examination - Pt 2. Patient Assessment (Windows only)
- Chart Smart: the A-to-Z Guide to Better Nursing Documentation, 2011
- Dictionary of Nursing, 5th ed, 2008
- Dorland’s Illustrated Medical Dictionary, 31st ed, 2007
- Encyclopedia of Case Study Research (2010)
- Health Assessment Made Incredibly Visual!, 2011
- Measuring health: a guide to rating scales and questionnaires, 3rd ed., 2006
- Professional Guide to Signs and Symptoms, 6th ed, 2010
- Sage Encyclopedia of Qualitative Research Methods (2008)
- Straight A's series in nursing
- Taylor's Video Guide to Clinical Nursing Skills, 2nd ed, 2010 - streaming video
CINAHL: (Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature) Plus with Full Text - offers extensive coverage of the nursing and allied health disciplines. Provides full text for over 750 journals. Additional materials include Evidence-Based Care Sheets and Quick Lessons which provide concise overviews of diseases and conditions and outline the most effective treatment options. Start here!
CINAHL Support Center - provides a variety of support and training tools to help you quickly learn and search the CINAHL database
- MEDLINE (1996-) - biomedicine. Includes International Nursing Index. Start here!
MEDLINE, 1946 - - complete MEDLINE database
- Proquest Nursing & Allied Health Source - indexes the literature in nursing, allied health, and alternative medicine. Provides access to over 650 full text publications. Click on the "Browse" option at the top right hand of the screen to access enhanced content such as the Cultural Competency Briefs: Religion, Ethnicity and Care; the Medcom Video Training Programs, and Study Paths
- AMED: Allied and Complementary Medicine Database - covers complementary medicine, palliative care, and several professions allied to medicine
- CPS: Compendium of Pharmaceuticals & Specialties / CPSP: Compendium des produits et spécialités pharmaceutiques - Canadian drugs and therapeutics
- EMBASE, (1996 -) - biomedicine. Includes broad coverage of European and pharmacology research. NOTE: allows a limited number of simultaneous users.
EMBASE, 1947 -
- ERIC (1966 - ) - education, including nursing education. Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education.
- ERIC (1966 -) - open access (free) version of the ERIC database
- GIDEON (Global Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology Online Network) - a decision support application covering infectious diseases, microbiology and toxicology worldwide
- Google Scholar - restricts Google results to authoritative articles and websites. If phrase searching, use quotation marks to increase relevance and decrease retrieval
- Health & Psychosocial Instruments (1985 -) - health instruments, surveys, questionnaires, etc.
- McGill Library Global Health Resource Guide - created as a wiki, this resource guide attempts to promote collaboration in the field of global health
- MedlinePLUS - an excellent resource for patient / consumer health information. Provides drug and disease related links as well as interactive tutorials
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Online - international listing of doctoral dissertations and master's theses. Provides full text. Coverage varies
- PsycInfo (1987 -) - psychological, behavioral and emotional impact of disease
PsycInfo (1806 -)
- PUBMED (1948 -) - free (open access) version of MEDLINE. Includes International Nursing Index
- REHABDATA - covers physical, mental, and psychiatric disabilities
- SCOPUS (1823 -) - multidisciplinary. Provides citation indexing, patent searching, H-index indicators etc.
- STAT!Ref Electronic Medical Library - clinical collection. To view nursing titles, click in the "Search by Discipline" drop down menu and select "nursing". Applicable titles will be highlighted
- UpToDate - provides detailed reviews of clinical topics by synthesizing information and key findings, as well as providing detailed recommendations for patient care
- Web of Science (1900 -) - multidisciplinary. Features citation indexing, H-index indicators and access to Journal Citation Reports for journal impact factors
- TRIP: Turning Practice Into Research - searches high quality, filtered literature from a wide range of evidence based practice sources. Start here!
- RNAO (Registered Nurses' Association of Ontario): International Affairs & Best Practice Guidelines - provides access to Best Practice Guidelines as well as a Toolkit and Educator's Resource to support guideline implementation. Start here!
- nursing+ : Best Evidence for Nursing Care - current best evidence from research to support evidence-based clinical decisions. Articles rated for clinical relevance and interest by at least 3 members of a worldwide panel of practicing nurses. Registration required.
- Joanna Briggs Institute EBP Database - search, appraise, summarise, embed, utilise and evaluate evidence-based nursing information. Start here! NOTE: Uses British spelling.
- Cochrane Library - high-quality, independent evidence. Contains the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)
- Evidence-Based Practice Filters for CINAHL - pre-formatted EBN filters for CINAHL. Simply copy and paste the search strategy provided into the CINAHL search box, followed by your search term of interest (eg: myocardial infarction)
- Evidence-Based Nursing (vol. 1 - 1998 - ) - important EBN journal
- ACE Star Model of Knowledge Transformation© - a model for understanding the cycles, nature, and characteristics of knowledge that are utilized in various aspects of evidence-based practice (EBP)
- ANA Research Toolkit - developed by the American Nurses Association, this toolkit helps nurses to provide evidence-based care that promotes quality health outcomes.
- ACP Pier - a point-of-care decision-support tool that provides information and guidance on more than 300 diseases and conditions
- Clinical Evidence - a database of evidence on the effects of common clinical interventions
- EvidenceUPDATES - provides a tailored email alert service, as well as a searchable best evidence database. Free registration required
- International Journal of Nursing Practice - publishes in its special section the research output of the Cochrane Nursing Care Network
- National Guideline Clearinghouse™ (NGC) - international listing of clinical practice guidelines. Provides the option to compare guidelines
- PubMed Clinical Queries - offers a user-friendly approach to evidence-based searching in PubMed
- RCN Clinical Guidelines - provides access to clinical guidelines produced by the Royal College of Nursing, UK
- Recent Systematic Reviews (SRs) in Nursing Published in PubMed - embedded search strategy. Generates a listing of nursing related SRs
- Worldviews on Evidence-Based Nursing, (vol. 1 - 2004) - this quarterly journal publishes original articles and systematic reviews
- Films On Demand - an online video service of over 5,600 titles covering a range of topics
- Google Images - remember to credit the source of the image
- Google Videos - remember to credit the source of the video
- iTunes U - provides access to lectures, course materials, academic apps, etc
- NEJM Clinical Videos - 30+ videos in different aspects of clinical practice
- NFB: National Film Board Of Canada - an award winning Canadian collection of animation, documentaries, experimental films and alternative dramas.
- ResearchChannel at YouTube - provides over 460 videos and broadcast streaming. Click on Subscribe to receive notification when new videos are posted
- YouTube EDU - educational videos. Use the search function to locate videos of interest. Note the Nursing section.
If you are searching the main YouTube site, conduct your search, click on Search Options at the top left of the results window, and limit results by Categories --> Education or Duration --> Long (20~ minutes)
Education and Certification in Canada
- McGill Library catalogue: Books to Prepare for Canadian, Quebec and US Nursing Licensure Exams
- Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing (CASN)
- Canadian Nurses Association - advances the discipline of nursing in Canada. The CNA also develops, manages and updates the Canadian Registered Nurse Examination
- Ordre des Infirmières et Infirmiers du Québec - est un ordre professionnel dont la fonction principale est d'assurer la protection du public en contrôlant, notamment, l'exercice de la profession infirmière par ses membres
Education and Certification in the US and Elsewhere
- American Association of Colleges of Nursing - is the national voice for America's baccalaureate- and higher-degree nursing education programs
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) - develops the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) and the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN) that are used by state and territorial boards of nursing to assist in making licensure decisions
- McGill University. School of Nursing - a leader in nursing education, research and practice since its founding in 1920
- NurseOne / INF-Fusion
- Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing (CASN/ACESI) - the national voice for nursing education and nursing research in Canada
- CASN Members - provides a comprehensive listing of nursing schools in Canada
- Canadian Nursing Index - provides a comprehensive guide to Canadian nursing resources online
- Canadian Nursing Students Association - the national voice of Canadian nursing students
- Canadian Patient Safety Institute - was established in 2003 as an independent not-for-profit corporation, operating collaboratively with health professionals and organizations, regulatory bodies and governments to build and advance a safer healthcare system for Canadians
- Essential Nursing Resources, 26th ed, 2012 - compiled by the Interagency Council on Information Resources in Nursing, this comprehensive listing includes print, multimedia, and electronic sources to support nursing practice, education, administration, and research activities
- Histories of Canadian Hospitals and Schools of Nursing compiled by David S. Crawford, former Head, McGill Life Sciences Library
Infiressources.ca (Resources in Nursing) - a bilingual website developed by volunteer nurses to disseminate nursing knowledge throughout Quebec and the rest of the world
- Nursing in First Nations, Inuit & Aboriginal Communities - provides information about Canadian nurses who work in First Nations communities
- Nursing Theory Page - a collaborative effort by an international group interested in developing a collection of resources about nursing theories
- NursingEthics.ca - presents a collection of Canadian and international resources on nursing ethics