- McGill users only
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Researching McGill Architecture
- Canadian Architecture Collection (CAC)
Located in the Redpath Library Building, McGill University, this archive documents the work of selected past and present architects who have studied and/or taught at the McGill School of Architecture and School of Urban Planning. Includes architectural plans, drawings, and photographs of many McGill buildings. Search the online archive list by architect name. Selected collections available online. jennifer [dot] garland [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Visits by appointment).
- McGill Architectural Plans Database
Locate architectural plans of McGill buildings by building name or architect. Contact ron [dot] macdonald [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Ron MacDonald), Technical Document Manager, McGill Facilities, for access to plans.
- Student Papers, McGill University
Unpublished papers on buildings in and around Montreal
- Virtual McGill
Searchable database of information about the buildings of the McGill Campus. Search by building, architect or donor.
Researching Montreal Architecture
- Albums de rues E.Z. Massicotte
Photographs of Montreal streets taken between 1870-1920
- Canadian Centre for Architecture (CCA)
Montreal-based research centre and museum. Search the CCA collection for architectural plans, photographs and related archives or consult the Overview of the Collections for more information.
- Encyclopédie de la maison québecoise
NA7242 Q4 L4x (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Expo '67
- Fire Insurance Maps
Historical urban maps that outline the footprint of every building on a given street, including number of stories and building materials. Cities and dates vary by source:
- BANQ: Index map of Montréal land use plans (1954-1990) and fire insurance plans (1914-1972)
- Rare Books and Special Collections, McGill University: Maps of Montreal by the Underwriters' Survey Bureau
- Hospital Architecture in Montreal
Contains over 1,000 images, a hospital construction chronology, architectural records and an in-depth case study of the Royal Victoria Hospital.
- Images Montreal (imtl.org)
Brief entries on selected Montreal skyscrapers, historical buildings, architecture landmarks, and their architects. Includes photos.
- L'Institut de recherche en histoire de l'architecture (IRHA)
A non-profit organization in Montréal whose objectives are to support historical and theoretical research and interdisciplinary dialogue pertaining to architecture
- Lovell's Directory (1842-1977) Street directory of Montreal, includes resident and business names for most addresses.
- The Major Squares of Montreal
FC2947.65 C5613 1990 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Mansions of the Golden Square Mile
NA7243 M6R4513 1987 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Memorable Montreal (Created by Heritage Montreal)
Browse by: Neighborhood, Bridge, Building, Creator/Builder, Monument, Public Artwork, or Public Figure
- Montreal Architecture: A Guide to Styles and Buildings
NA747 M6 R4613 1990 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Montréal Municipalité et Métropole 1920-1960
A digital exhibit produced by the Montreal Archives
- Montréal son histoire son architecture (Pinard)
FC2947.4 P55 1987 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Québec: trois siécles d'architecture
NA747 Q4 N6 1989 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Répertoire d’architecture traditionnelle sur le territoire de la Communauté urbaine de Montréal
A series on Montreal building types, including schools, domestic architecture, and industrial buildings. An excellent resource for identifying architect name and a brief bibliography. (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- La Société d'habitation du Québec
Established in 1967, responsible for housing in Québec. Lists many sources, including Logis, the library catalogue of the SHQ Documentation Centre.
- The Square Mile, Montreal 1860-1914
NA7243 M6 G47 1980a (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Sur les traces du Montréal moderne/Discovering Modern Montreal.
NA747 M6 S87 2007 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Ville de Montréal
Official portal of the City of Montreal, contains information on boroughs, housing and planning issues. Provides useful links to additional sources such as the Master Plan, etc.
Researching Canadian Architecture
- Architects of Nova Scotia: A Biographical Dictionary, 1605-1950
NA60 C2 R67 1994 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada 1800-1950 (Hill)
- The Buildings of Canada: A Guide to pre-20th Century Styles
NA740 H86 1980 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Calgary Architecture
NA747 C3 G83 1984 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Canadian Encyclopaedia
FC23 C36 1988 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference) and online under 'Architecture'.
- Canada Green Building Council
A coalition representing various segments of the design and building industry which aims to promote the design and construction of green buildings in Canada. The website also has information about Green Building Rating & Labelling Systems used in Canada.
- Canadian Artist Files
From the University of Calgary, this site provides files on Canadian artists including architects, with a cross-reference list for public art and buildings
- The City of Toronto's Inventory of Buildings of Architectural and Historical Importance
NA60 C3T6 1960 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Exploring Nova Scotia
NA746 N6 E96 1984 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Exploring Ottawa
NA747 O7 K35 1983 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Exploring Vancouver
NA747 V3 K35 1993 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- A History of Canadian Architecture
NA740 K35 1994 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Ontario Architecture: A Guide to Styles and Terms
NA746 O5 B55 1990 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
Finding Journal Articles
- Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals (1930-present)
- American Periodicals Series (1740-1900) Includes some architectural journals
- Architecture in Canadian Illustrated News and l'Opinion Publique
Z5941 B7676 1984 (Ref)
- Canadian Architect & Builder (1888-1908)
Original print copy held in Rare Books and Special Collections
- CPI.Q- Canadian Periodical Index
- Index of Houses Featured in Canadian Homes & Gardens
NA740 C322 1980 (Ref)
- Canadian Architectural Periodicals Index, 1940-1980
Z5944 C3 B47 1986 (Ref)
Guides to Selected Architectural Projects
Available at McGill Library:
- Canadian Architecture Collection (CAC)
Located in the Redpath Library Building, McGill University, this archive documents the work of past and present architects who have studies and/or taught at the McGill School of Architecture and School of Urban Planning. Includes architectural plans, drawings, and photographs of many McGill buildings. Search the online archive list by architect name. Selected collections available online. jennifer [dot] garland [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Visits by appointment).
- John S. Archibald and his Associates: A Guide to the Archive
CD3649 M6 B4 1990 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Edward & W.S. Maxwell: A Guide to the Archives
CD3649 M6 B43 1987 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Moshe Safdie Buildings and Projects, 1967-1992
NA749 S2 A4 1996 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Ramsay Traquair and his Successors: A Guide to the Archive
CD3649 M6B43 1987 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
Selected architectural archives available at the Canadian Centre for Architecture (CCA). Print guides available in Blackader-Lauterman:
- Guide du fonds Ernest Isbell Barott = Inventory of the archive of Ernest Isbell Barott
Z5944 C3 C46 1985 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Inventory of the Archive of Ernest Isbell Carbott
Z5944 C3 C46 1985 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Guide du fonds Pierre-Dionne = Guide and inventory to the Pierre Dionne archive
NA749 D56 R67 1990 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Inventory of the Archive of Ludger and Paul M. Lemieux
Z6616 L44 G85 1983 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Guide du fonds Ross & Macdonald = Guide and inventory to the Ross & Macdonald Archive
NA749 R67 R67 1991 (Blackader-Lauterman Reference)
- Art and Architecture in Canada: A Bibliography and Guide to the Literature to 1981 / Art et architecture au Canada: bibliographie et guide de la documentation jusqu'en 1981 in 2 volumes serves as "a reference guide to the most significant contributions to the literature of art and architecture in Canada published in Canada and abroad from 1825 to 1981" (from the Preface). In the first volume, numbered entries, which are accompanied by abstracts, are organized by subject, including historical period and and geographical location. The second volue contains an author and subject index to the numbered entries of the first volume. Use the first volume for general browsing and the second volume as a reference tool.
Z5961 C3 L47 1991 (Ref)
- Les Fonds Adamsburg
A database of files used to document the Répertoire d'architecture traditionelle de la CUM. Contains over 10 000 files and more than 50 000 photographs on buildings classified by address. Includes information on architects, some engineers as well as artists and artisans that worked in Montreal. For information contact Denise Caron at 514-872-7646.
- Manitoba Architecture to 1940 provides numbered entries in four sections (books, articles, special materials, and addenda) as well as indexes referring to the entries and organized by by architect, building, and topic. Entries include location code.
Z5944 C3 W32 1976 (Ref)Ordre des Architectes du Québec
- A Union List of Architectural Records in Canadian Public Collections
Z5944 C3 L43 1983 (Ref)