- McGill users only
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Finding articles on your topic
- GeoRef (covers geosciences)
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management Database (covers ecology and water resource issues; includes Water Resources Abstracts)
- Scopus (multidisciplinary)
- Web of Science (includes science citation index)
- BIOSIS Previews (includes hydrology, ecology and environmental studies)
- Meteorological and Geoastrophysical Abstracts (includes climatology, hydrology and oceanography)
- GEOBASE (human and physical geography, ecology, geology, oceanography, geomechanics and development studies)
You may also wish to consult the full list of databases available through McGill Library.
Most of the Library's licensed electronic resources, such as databases, full-text online journals and e-books, are restricted to McGill students, faculty, staff and other authorized users of the McGill Library. Find out about accessing the Library's online resources from on and off campus.
Writing and referencing your research paper
Consult these resources for tips on how to write a research paper. Click on the call number to find out the McGill Library where the book is located.
|Making sense : a student’s guide to research and writing : geography & environmental sciences||G74 N67 2012|
|How to do your essays, exams & coursework in geography and related disciplines||ebook|
|Introduction to scientific geographic research||G73 H36 1992|
|An introduction to scientific research methods in geography||G73 M58 2006|
|The Little, Brown essential handbook||PE1112 A27 2008|
|The Little, Brown handbook||PE1112 F685 2011|
|A manual for writers of research papers, theses, and dissertations : Chicago style for students and researchers||LB2369 T8 2007|
|Writing research papers : a complete guide||LB2369 L4 2005|
|Initiation à la recherche en géographie||ebook|
Preparing an annotated bibliography
- How to Prepare an Annotated Bibliography from Cornell University Library.
The Chicago Manual of Style
- The Chicago Manual of Style is available online through the McGill Library. The Chicago-Style Citation Quick Guide is the easiest place to start. Click on the "author-date" tab for the style used by those in the physical, natural and social sciences.
Sources for background information
Dictionaries and encyclopedias
- Dictionary of geography
- Dictionary of physical geography
- Encyclopedia of deserts Reference GB611 E65 1999
- Encyclopedia of environmental analysis and remediation Reference GE10 E49 1998 v.1-8
- Encyclopedia of environmental science and engineering
- Encyclopedia of global environmental change Reference GE149 E443 2002
- Encyclopedia of hydrological sciences
- Encyclopedia of hydrology and water resources GB655 E53 1998
- Encyclopedia of inland waters
- International encyclopedia of human geography
- U.X.L encyclopedia of water science Reference GB662.3 U95 2005
- Water encyclopedia: hydrologic data and internet resources
Handbooks and data tables
- National Climate Archive for Canadian climate normals or scan the catalogue for past years
- Groundwater chemicals desk reference, 4th ed. TD426 M66 2007
- Groundwater chemicals desk reference, 3rd ed.
- Historical streamflow summary Scan titles by province
- Real-time and Archived Hydrometric Data from Water Survey of Canada
- State of Canada’s environment : 1996 TD26 S77 1996
The Reference Collection is located on the main floor of Schulich Library in Room 217.