3485 McTavish Street
Montreal, Quebec H3A 0E1
- Islamic Manuscripts, Codicology, Palaeography History of the Islamic book
- Islamic Studies
- Middle East
- South Asia Studies
Liaison: To assist in the provision of a range of library and information services and collections to support teaching, learning, research and outreach activities of the McGill University Library and Institute of Islamic Studies within the Faculty of Arts and to ensure the effective operations of the Islamic Studies Library.
- Master of Library and Information Studies, Dalhousie University, 2009
- Master of Arts, Middle East Studies, University of Exeter, 2007
- Bachelor of Arts, Classical Studies and English Literature, University of New Brunswick, 2003
Areas of interest
- Collection Development
- Digital Humanities
- Information literacy
- Islamic Manuscripts, Codicology and Palaeography
- History of the Islamic Book
- Rare Books and Special Collections
- Islamic and Middle East Studies
- South Asia Studies
- Middle East Librarians Association (MELA), President (2013-2014), Vice-President/Program Chair (2012-2013)
- Center for Research Libraries (CRL), Middle East Materials Project (MEMP), Executive Board (2013-2015)
- Middle East Studies Association (MESA)
- L'Association des Bibliothècaires du Québec - Québec Library Association (ABQLA), Executive Board (2013-2015)
- Bibliographical Society of Canada
Swanick, S. (2014). İbrahim Müteferrika and The Printing Press: A Delayed Renaissance. Papers of The Bibliographical Society of Canada. (Forthcoming).
Swanick, S. (2013). Islamic Studies Library: Growth and Evolution. Fontanus, from the Collections of McGill University, vol. XIII, 2013.
Garland, J. & Swanick, S. Curating print collections in the digital age. International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA), Helsinki, 2012; Abstract 78/87.
Swanick, S. (2012). Index Islamicus. The Charleston Advisor. 14 (2): 29-31, 2012.
Swanick, S. (2012). Encyclopaedia Iranica. The Charleston Advisor, 13 (4): 11-14. 2012.
Swanick, S. (ed.). (2011). Abū Ḥāmid al-Ghazālī: An exhibition held in the Humanities and Social Sciences Library, McGill University August 15, 2011-31 March, 2012. Montreal: McGill University Library, 2011. 44.
Swanick, Sean. 'Of making books there is no end: Islamic Manuscripts on the Web.' College & Research Libraries News, 72, no. 7 (2011): 416-419.
Selected talks and presentations
Swanick, S. & A. Salamon. Digitizing Exhibitions as a Means of Implementing a Digitization Program. Middle East Librarians Association, Denver, Colorado, 15 Nov., 2012.
Garland, J. & Swanick, S. Curating print collections in the digital age. International Federation of Library Associations, Helsinki, Finland, 13 August 2012.
S. Swanick. İbrahim Müteferrika and the rise of the printing press in the Islamic World. 2012 Annual Meeting of the Bibliographical Society of Canada, May 28-29, 2012, Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences Wilfrid Laurier University and University of Waterloo
Swanick, S. & Garland, J. Lacquer Illustrated Bindings: Syncretic Elements of Painting and Writing. 38th Saint Louis Conference on Manuscript Studies, Saint Louis, Missouri, October, 14, 2011.
S. Swanick. A history of the Islamic Studies Library through its collections. Canadian Libraries Association, 27 May 2011.
- Access to Mideast and Islamic Resources (AMIR). "This project began as a consequence of a series of conversations in 2010 between Charles Jones and Peter Magierski at NYU about the need for a tool to assemble and distribute information on open access material relating to the Middle East."
- Middle Eastern Resources An invaluable resource of some of the most important websites pertaining to the fields of Islamic Studies.