Tara [dot] Mawhinney [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-4764
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Office hours are held in Room 206 on the main floor of Schulich Library. Please tara [dot] mawhinney [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email me) to make other arrangements if you are not available at the following time:
- Tuesdays, 11-12pm for the fall 2014 semester
1. Sources for background information
If you are not sure what your topic is all about, look it up in a dictionary or encyclopedia. Start with:
Dictionaries and encyclopedias
- A Dictionary of weather
- Encyclopedia of atmospheric sciences
- Encyclopedia of coastal science
- Encyclopedia of earth
- Encyclopedia of hydrological sciences
- Encyclopedia of marine sciences
- Encyclopedia of ocean sciences
- Encyclopedia of physical science and technology
- Encyclopedia of world climatology
- Handbook of weather, climate, and water : atmospheric chemistry, hydrology, and societal impacts
- Handbook of weather, climate, and water : dynamics, climate, physical meteorology, weather systems, and measurements
- Water encyclopedia
Search tips for the library catalogue
|Truncation symbol:||?||e.g. meteorolog? will retrieve catalogue records containing the words meteorology, meteorological, meteorologists, etc.|
|Phrase searching:||"___"||e.g. "climate change" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase climate change|
|Boolean operators:||(), AND, OR, NOT
|e.g. precipitation AND (climate OR weather) will retrieve catalogue records containing the word precipitation AND either climate OR weather|
You can also browse the catalogue, or the shelves at the following call numbers
Dynamics of the ocean
Oceanography. By region
Marine resources. Applied oceanography
Marine pollution. Sea water pollution
Meteorological climatology. Including the earth's atmosphere
Climatology and weather
- Meteorological and Geoastrophysical Abstracts
Produced by the American Meteorological Society, this database provides current citations published in over 600 sources worldwide.
- Oceanic Abstracts
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management
3.2 Additional databases for Atmospheric and oceanic sciences
Databases for related subjects
Primarily for citations with abstracts to physics, among other disciplines.
Multidisciplinary. Allows citation searching.
- Web of Science
Access to Science Citation Index. Offers searching for articles, including cited author and cited work.
- General Science Full Text
Intended for undergraduates.
- SciFinder Scholar
Provides access to more than 8000 journals and patent references. Intended for graduate students, faculty and researchers.
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses
A database of doctoral dissertations and master's theses from the United States, Canada and selected international institutions.
- COLOMBO (interlibrary loan)
All McGill students and staff may order materials not available at McGill using COLOMBO.
You can also search the full text of core journals
Full text database of the journals published by Elsevier, also allows citation searching.
- American Meteorological Society: AMS Journals Online
Most of the Library's licensed electronic resources, such as databases, full-text online journals and e-books, are restricted to McGill students, faculty, staff and other authorized users of the McGill Library. Find out about accessing the Library's online resources from on and off campus.
- Canadian Climate Summaries (Environment Canada)
- Climate Data Online (Environment Canada)
- Department of Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences (McGill University)
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Live Weather Images
- Weather and Meteorology (Environment Canada)
- NASA Global Change Master Directory
- National Climatic Data Center
- National Snow and Ice Data Center (University of Colorado)
- Oceanographic Databases (Fisheries and Oceans Canada)
- RealClimate: Climate Science from Climate Scientists
- U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration