Company information, Industry information & Company rankings
Company & Industry information
Make sure you research the company you want to work for or the industry you want to work in, prior to writing your cover letter and going your interviews.
Full-text news and financial information - International.
- FP Infomart
All-in-one source of information on Canadian companies tracked by the Financial Post Data Group, as well as related stories from the Financial Post (National Post).
- Passport GMID (Euromonitor)
Background, competitive environment, market share, outlook, related industry reports and more.
- Hoover's Company Records
Find up to date proprietary editorial content covering more than 40,000 public and non-public companies and 225,000 key executives.
- International Directory of Company Histories
3-6 page long public company histories
- Marketline (Datamonitor)
Contains SWOT, competitors, market share, related industry reports.
- Mergent Online
International coverage, contains public and private companies (click on D&M 20M tab for private company search). Comprehensive financials, competitors, annual reports, and more.
Top in Canada
Employment research and CV preparation
Job Hunting & Deciding on a Job Market
Search the McGill Library catalogue for books on these subjects:
- Job Hunting
- Career Changes
- Job Futures - Government of Canada information on job duties, educational requirements, average wages, unemployment rate, & work prospects.
- Encyclopedia of Careers & Vocation Guidance - great resource for overview of educational requirements, job overview etc.
- Emploi Quebec - Quebec government information on job duties, educational requirements, average wages, unemployment rate, & more.
- Canada Salary Calculator - The Canada Salary Calculator will give you an idea about typical salaries in every region of Canada.
- Canadian Salary Survey - The Canadian Salary Survey provides a summary of the range of salaries that are currently being earned by professionals in each of numerous skilled occupations, listed as A, B, or 0 on the National Occupation Classification (NOC).
- What color is your parachute? : a practical manual for job-hunters & career-changers (Electronic book)
- Working world : careers in international education, exchange, and development (Electronic book)
- Starting your career as a Wall Street Quant
Creating Résumés, Cover Letters, & Interview Preparation
See this list of books at the library.
For additional books, search the McGill Library catalogue for books on these subjects:
- Application for positions
- Résumés (Employment)
- Cover letters
- Employment interviewing
- Online Career Library (Vault Guides)
- Job Futures - Canada's national career and education planning tool
- C.V. and Cover Letter - A McGill University ressource from the Career Planning Service (CaPS) with suggestions on writing effective cover letters and cirriculum vitæ. CaPS also offers CV Writing and Cover Letter Practice workshops, as well as a daily CV Drop In. You may also schedule an appointment to have your CV or cover letter reviewed by a career advisor at 514-398-3304.