Jessica [dot] Lange [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email) • 514-398-4690 x00871
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
- Ad$pender - U.S. rates for advertising by product.
- Canadian Media Directors' Council Media Digest 2010-2011 - Canadian media trends (very large PDF file)
- Advertising Red Books
Domestic & international advertising agencies and advertisers, including ad expenditures, sales, products advertised, and contact information. One user at a time only.
- National List of Advertisers
- Statista - aggregator of statistics including those for advertising expenditures
- Americas Market & Mediafact- Rates for different types of marketing mediums including TV in the Americas.
- Canadian Advertising Rates and Data (CARD) - Advertising rates and contact information for Canadian media (magazines, radio, TV). See this guide.
- Media Planning & Buying Calculator - online calculator for CPM, CPP etc.
- eMarketer - search 'cost per click' for online advertising costs
- Radio Market Rankings- top radio stations in major Canadian markets
- Top 30 TV programs in Canada
- PMB - see PMB readship data for information on magazine and newspapers readership in Canada. See this video for how to read a report.
Due to copyright restrictions, most online digital repositories of advertisements contain primarily pre-1960s advertisements.
- Emergence of Advertising in America: 1850-1920
- Ad*Access – US and Canadian print advertisements 1911-1955
- Picture Post Historical Archive - Go to the Advanced search to search advertisements from the British magazine Picture Post (1939-1957)
- American Periodical Serials (1740-1900) – Go to advanced search, type in keywords and select document type ‘advertisement’.
- History of Advertising Trust Collection of UK print advertisements.
- Vintage Ad Browser - 1000s of advertisement from the early 1800s to present. Browse by subject.
- Found in Mom's Basement Collection of advertisements browseable by date and subject.
- Adflip: Online archive of print ads. Requires a subscription for some content.
- Vogue: Searchable archive of the magazine Vogue going to back 1892 including full-page advertisements.
- Canadian Advertising Museum
- Women's Wear Daily: Go to advanced search and select 'advertisements'
- New York Times -Proquest Historical Newspapers (1851-2007) - select document type as 'advertisement' or 'display ad'. To search across all historical newspapers, go to top of page and change database list to include other Proquest Historical Newspaper titles.
- Osler Print Collection Online - medical and pharmaceutical advertisements from McGill's Osler Library
- Adviews Commercials produced by the D'Arcy Masius Benton & Bowles (DMB&B) advertising agency (1950s-80s)
- Arrows Television Commercials Archive Collection of every entry to The British Television Awards since 1977
- Business Source Complete : Articles from business and management journals including articles on advertising.
- ABI Inform : Articles from business and management journals including articles on advertising.
- Advertising Age: Journal on advertising and marketing. Articles online going back to the mid-1990s.