- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Sources for Background Information
- Blackwell Dictionary of Social Policy
- Dictionary of Family Therapy (Miermont )
- Dictionary of Probation and Offender Management
Entries of 500 to 1500 words on key terms and concepts from 'Accountability' to 'Youth offending teams'. Mainly UK based.
- English-French Guide to Human Services Terminology (Brend)
- A to Z of Social Research
Covers "the whole expanse of social science research methods and issues, from qualitative research techniques to statistical testing and from the practicalities of using the Internet to the philosophy of social research." Entries 800-3,000 words, with suggested readings. By Robert L. Miller and John D. Brewer, 2003.
- Blackwell Encyclopædia of Social Work
- Encyclopedia of Social Work (NASW 20th ed.)
- Encyclopedia of Canadian Social Work
N.B. Cover title. Title page title varies: Canadian Encyclopedia of Social Work
- International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences
Browse or search lengthy articles in the largest encyclopedia covering social science history, ethics, methodology, applications and issues. Includes bibliographical references.
- International Encyclopedia of the Social Sciences
- Edinburgh International Encyclopaedia of Psychoanalysis
- Encyclopedia of Ageism
- Encyclopedia of Aging and Public Health
- Encyclopedia of American Prisons
- Encyclopedia of Case Study Research
- Encyclopedia of Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Encyclopedia of Counseling
- Encyclopedia of Diasporas: Immigrant & Refugee Cultures Around the World
- Encyclopedia of Domestic Violence
- Encyclopedia of Homelessness
- Encyclopedia of Interpersonal Violence
- Encyclopedia of Juvenile Justice
- Encyclopedia of Juvenile Violence
- Encyclopedia of Motherhood
General editor: Andrea O'Reilly.
- Encyclopedia of Multicultural Psychology
- Encyclopedia of Psychotherapy
- Encyclopedia of Race, Ethnicity, and Society
- Encyclopedia of Social Theory
- Encyclopedia of Social Welfare History in North America
- Encyclopedia of Social Work with Groups
- Encyclopedia of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment, & Recovery
- Encyclopedia of the Life Course and Human Development
3 vols. of signed entries, with bibliographies, examining how experiences, transitions and events such as childcare, education, stress, marriage, career, addiction, friendship, parenthood, disease, spirituality, and retirement influence the individual's life course.
- Encyclopedia of World Poverty
- Greenwood Encyclopedia of LGBT Issues Worldwide
- International Encyclopedia of Marriage and Family
- International Encyclopedia of Social Policy
- SAGE Encyclopedia of Qualitative Research Methods
2 vols. Defines core concepts, describes techniques involved in implementation of qualitative methods. Gives overview of qualitative approaches to research. Covers major facets of qualitative methods: access to research participants, data coding, research ethics, role of theory in qualitative research.
Handbooks, Companions, Guides
- Adoption: a Reference Handbook
2d ed. one-volume, part of Contemporary World Issues series; USA slant.
- Beginner's Guide to Critical Thinking and Writing in Health and Social Care
- Blackwell Companion to Social Work (2008)
Note 1997 edition available online.
- Blackwell Companion to Social Inequalities
- Cambridge Handbook of Age and Ageing
- Companion to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Studies
- Comprehensive Handbook of Social Work and Social Welfare
- Global Refugee Crisis: A Reference Handbook
- Handbook for Action Research in Health and Social Care
- Handbook of Counseling and Psychotherapy with Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Clients
- Handbook of International Social Work
- SAGE Handbook of International Social Work
- SAGE Handbook of Social Work
- Handbook of Service User Involvement in Mental Health Research
Aims to be "an international textbook on the involvement of mental healths ‘service users’, ‘consumers’, ‘survivors’, ‘patients’ and ‘ex-patients’ in mental health research."
- Handbook of Social Work in Health and Aging
- Systematic Reviews and Meta-analysis (Pocket guides to social work research methods)
- Systematic reviews in the social sciences: a practical guide
- Guide to Evidence-based Group Work
- Wiley-Blackwell Handbook of Couples and Family Relationships
McGill Library currently has two catalogues, the newer McGill WorldCat and the older Classic Catalogue, both of which list and locate items in McGill libraries, but each having some unique features. The Classic Catalogue only searches print and physical circulating materials (books, DVDs, print journals). E-resources are not searchable, or accessible, from the Classic Catalogue.
In the Classic Catalogue, use the Word(s) anywhere or Advanced search/keyword options for exhaustive keyword searches. "Basic keyword(s)", the default search option, will search for your word(s) only in the author, title, and subject heading fields of records in the catalogue.
In WorldCat, all-field (titles, notes, abstracts, summaries, descriptions, authors, and subjects) keyword searching is the default search option.
Searching with Subject Headings
In either catalogue, searching by subject heading is possible, but words and phrases you use must conform to the 'controlled vocabulary' used by library cataloguers. A good way to determine the exact subject word or phrase to use is to first do a keyword search and then look at the subject headings assigned to relevant results and redo the search by subject. It is very possible you may obtain more results by either keyword searches or by subject heading searches. Thorough searching should encompass both search methods.
Truncation, phrases and Boolean operators
|Truncation symbol||?or *||e.g. teen? or teen* will retrieve catalogue records containing the words teen, teens, teenager, etc.|
|Phrase searching||"___"||e.g. "public welfare" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase public welfare|
|Boolean operators:||AND, OR, NOT
|e.g. "social policy" and (Canada or "United States") will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase social policy and either Canada or the phrase United States.
Note Terms linked with or should always be enclosed within parentheses
Note When searching WorldCat, Boolean operators AND, OR, and NOT should be capitalized.
Browsing the shelves ... virtually (Using the catalogue)
In the Classic Catalogue only, you can also virtually browse library shelves for print items by doing a "Call Number begins with ..." search. In the examples below, subject heading equivalents are also provided—and that's another great way to search (in either catalogue).
|CALL NUMBER begins with ...||SUBJECT begins with ...|
|HN1-HN995||Social history & conditions; social problems; social reform|
|HV1-HV9960||Social pathology. Social and public welfare. Criminology|
|HV10.5||Social workers - Professional ethics, Evidence-based social work, etc.|
|HV40-||Social case work|
|HV45||Social group work|
|Headings beginning with Social work with, e.g.
Social work with alcoholics
Social work with children
Social work with gays
Social work with immigrants
|RC475-RC569||Psychotherapy, family therapy, group work, etc.|
|CALL NUMBER begins with ...
**Life Sciences collection only**
|MEDICAL SUBJECT MeSH begins with ...
**Life Sciences collection only**
|WA546||Community Health Services|
|WM430||Family therapy, Group therapy|
Finding Articles in the Catalogue
In WorldCat only, a search will yield not only books and other media, but also many articles taken from databases such as ArticleFirst, British Library Inside Serials, ERIC, MEDLINE, JSTOR, OAIster PapersFirst, ProceedingsFirst and Elsevier, as well as any other additional library subscription-based databases selected by you on "Advanced Search - Add/Remove Databases".
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Core and Additional Databases
- Social Work Abstracts
Produced by USA National Association of Social Workers, 1968- , from 500+ core social work and related journals in all areas of the social work profession: theory and practice, areas of service (gerontology, welfare, public health, criminology, education, etc.), social issues, social problems. Includes books and dissertations (USA only). Updated quarterly. Note Indexing of some core journals 1989-1996 is lacking. Cf. doi:10.1177/1049731508329392 .
- Social Services Abstracts (ProQuest)
Abstracts of current research articles and book reviews from over 1600 journals on social work, human services, and related areas, including social welfare, social policy, and community development. Includes dissertation abstracts.
- SocINDEX with Full Text (EBSCO)
Comprehensive sociology research database with 2.1 million+ records, including full text for 860+ journals (1908- ), 830+ books and monographs, and 16,800+ conference papers. Search tools include 20,000+ term thesaurus. Indexes many social work journals from North America and beyond.
- Sociological Abstracts (ProQuest)
Abstracts and indexes of international literature (articles, book reviews, books, book chapters, dissertations, conference papers and working papers) of sociology and related disciplines including social work, 1952- . Over 5,000 journals covered. Monthly updates. Lists article references, 2002- . "Cited by" references included for many articles. "Documents with shared records" option.
- ASSIA (Applied Social Sciences Index and Abstracts)ProQuest
Indexing of over 500 journals from over 16 countries in the fields of health, social services, psychology, sociology, economics, politics, race relations and education, 1987- . Updated monthly.
- Oxford Bibliographies Online (OBO) Social Work
Peer-reviewed discovery tool that sifts through mountains of publications—all formats—on themes and topics of the discipline, and attempts to selectively identify and critically describe only those deemed most essential. Formal annual article reviews, with more frequent updates possible by author.
Bibliographic database of over 50,000 books, articles and reports from the specialist collection on Social Gerontology held at the UK Centre for Policy on Ageing.
- AgeLine (EBSCO)
Produced by AARP, focusing exclusively on population aged 50+ and aging issues; premier source for literature (1978- ) of social gerontology including aging-related content from health sciences, psychology, sociology, social work, economics, and public policy. 600+ journals indexed, plus books, book chapters, reports, dissertations, consumer guides, and educational videos.
- AoA Administration Database
Abstracts of materials produced by AoA (Administration on Aging) grantees funded under Title IV of USA Older Americans Act (OAA) supporting demonstration, research, and training projects designed to promote use of innovative ideas and best practices in programs and services for older adults.
- APOS Clinical Database
American Psychosocial Oncology Society's annotated bibliography on research and clinical interventions in psycho-oncology, to address educational needs of psycho-oncologists in private practice, agency, and academic settings.
Index of 12,000+ references including books, articles, Master and Ph.D. theses, reports, texts and documents from aboriginal organizations and public sources, relating to aboriginals in Quebec on many subjects, e.g. Health and Social services, Mental Health, Families, Youth, Child Protection, Urban area, etc.
- Campbell Collaboration Library of Systematic Reviews
Free online access to systematic reviews in the areas of education, criminal justice and social welfare.
- Canadian Research Index (ProQuest)
Index with abstracts of Canadian federal, provincial, and municipal documents issued by the federal government, provinces, and two of three territories (not Nunavut); non-depository publications issued by government agencies and departments; scientific and technical report literature issued by research institutes and government laboratories; policy, social, economic, and political reports from 'think-tanks', etc.; Statistics Canada monographs, and serials, 1982- . McGill Library has all provincial titles (listed in CRI as Provincial Collection)on microfiche 1989- ; municipal collection on microfiche 1998-2003, and Education Collection on microfiche 1979-2003. Federal titles are likely available in print in McGill Library or online on a government website.
- Catalog of Nonprofit Literature
Foundation Center's searchable database (1997- ) of approx. 28,000 citations to: articles from 100+ periodicals, books, media resources, and 'grey' literature from the nonprofit sector covering philanthropy, fundraising, nonprofit management and leadership, voluntarism, etc. Formerly known as The Literature of the Nonprofit Sector.
- CBCA Complete (ProQuest)
- Canadian Public Policy Collection
Collection of monograph publications from Canadian public policy institutes, government agencies, advocacy groups, think-tanks, university research institutions and other public interest groups.
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text (EBSCO)
Comprehensive nursing & allied health research database, with full text for 760+ of journals indexed (4,175+) and 275+ books/monographs, 1981- in all areas of nursing and allied health literature, including social work.
Près de 8000 fiches bibliographiques des documents écrits et de langue française, publiés depuis 1980 concernant la recherche sur la famille au Québec. Multidisciplinaire (administration, anthropologie, architecture, communications, criminologie, démographie, droit, éducation physique, éducation, études littéraires, études urbaines; géographie, gérontologie, histoire, médecine, nutrition et diététique, orientation scolaire et professionnelle, philosophie, psychiatrie, psycho-pédagogie, psycho-éducation, psychologie, récréologie, relations industrielles, santé publique et communautaire, science économique, science politique, sciences infirmières, sciences religieuses; service social, sexologie, sociologie).
- First Nations Child & Family Caring Society of Canada Database (FNCFCS)
Actually not a database but downloadable program used to generate genograms depicting emotional and social bonds between individuals composing a family or social unit. Only available on Windows platform, but may be run on a Macintosh with Parallels or VMFusion software or, if an old Mac, Virtual PC.
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences: IBSSProQuest
Two million+ references to journal articles from 2,800+ journals with abstracts for over half, books (ca. 7,000 per year), reviews and selected book chapters 1951- in all social sciences including social work related topics;over 100 languages and countries covered. Full text indicated when available.
- ISI Web of Science
Multidisciplinary database of articles from high impact journals worldwide, including Open Access journals and 110,000+ conference proceedings, with current and retrospective coverage in science, arts, humanities, and social sciences (2,100+ journals, 1956- )—including social work.
- Journal TOCS: Social Services and Welfare
Lists table of contents (=TOC) of several journals (currently 95+). “Browse results” menu on left lists titles. Clicking on a journal title results in a list of articles in the current issue. Clicking on article title may lead to full text of article in one of McGill Library’s subscription databases (McGill users only). See also Journal TOCS: Disability, etc.
- WHO MiNDbank
Links to a range of country and international resources, covering mental health, substance abuse, disability, general health, human rights and development, including policies, strategies, laws, and service standards.
- NDAR (National Database of Ageing Research)
Aims to be fully comprehensive on-line resource of research in progress and forthcoming research within the UK on all non-medical aspects of older age.
- Oxford Scholarship Online: Social Work
Full-text, searchable access to academic peer-reviewed monographs (books) in Social Work published by Oxford University Press, with title and chapter abstracts, and short-cut capability to books, chapters or searches.
- PAIS International (CSA)
- P.E.P. Archive
Full text of 29 premier journals in psychoanalysis (1871-2006), 56 classic psychoanalytic books, and all 24 volumes of The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud.
- PILOTS Database
Index of world literature on PTSD, from US Dept of Veteran Affairs National Center for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder.
- Revue française des affaires sociales CAIRN
Revue thématique trimestrielle pluridisciplinaire, interrogeable, 2001- , dans le champ sanitaire et social, publiée par la Documentation française. Chaque numéro comporte un dossier thématique. La revue publie également des articles hors dossier.
- Social Care Online
UK's "most complete range" of information and reseach—indexing of journal articles from approx. 350 periodicals, websites, research reviews, legislation and government documents, and "service user knowledge"—on fostering, mental health human resources, etc. 1980- and some "defining texts" from 1960s, 1970s.
- Social Sciences Full Text (Wilson)
Additional Databases — Data, Statistics
- Online Resources - Statistics & Data )
Maintained by EDRS - Electronic Data Resource Service.
- Data Resources for Social Work
Maintained by S. Czarnocki, (formerly EDRS).
- Canadian Data
- Statistics Canada: Statistics by Subject
- CANSIM @ CHASS
Data from “Sherlock” merged into the Internet Data Library System (IDLS) (both now superceded) and enhanced to provide access in both French and English to files released through Statistics Canada's Data Liberation Initiative (DLI).
- Child Trends Databank
"Monitoring the situation of women and children" with UNICEF’s statistical information, including data used in its The State of the World’s Children and Progress for Children. Also technical resources for conducting UNICEF-supported Multiple Indicator Cluster Surveys (MICS).
- Portail informationnel Santé et Services sociaux (Québec)
- Banque de données des statistique officielles sur le Québec
- Baseline Data Reports CHSSN (Community Health and Social Services Network)
Data, 2003- and other reports re Québec anglophone community.
- Health and Medical Care Archive (ICPSR)
HMCA, data archive of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF), operated by the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research from selected research projects including surveys of health care professionals and organizations, investigations of access to medical care, surveys on substance abuse, and evaluations of innovative programs for delivery of health care in the USA. Includes bibliography of related articles, books, book chapters, reports, working papers, dissertations, conference papers, and unpublished manuscripts.
- AFCARS and NCANDS
USA data re adoption and foster care, and child abuse and neglect.
Subject classification of datasets of Interuniversity Consortium for Political and Social Research.
Additional Databases — Film
- Counseling and Therapy in Video
Online collection (vols. I & II) of over 600 hours of streaming 400 (standard) and 800 (full-screen) kbps video—with searchable synchronized transcripts--available for the study of counseling, social work, psychotherapy, psychology, and psychiatric counseling. Includes filmed footage of actual therapy sessions, re-enacted therapy sessions, scripted sessions designed by counseling professionals to illustrate common issues and scenarios, consultations among expert therapists, documentaries, and lectures, presentations and interviews of prominent therapists. Downloadable ZIP files of teaching and discussion guides, video clip-making tools and annotated playlist capability also available. Browse searching by video title, subject, themes, therapists, and therapy types.
- Films on Demand
Streaming video—Flash Video, Windows Media and QuickTime—of selected educational programs, from Films Media Group, high school to college level; 6,000+ titles in Humanities, Social Sciences, and Science, including Social Work, Health, Family, Guidance and Counseling.
- National Film board
McGill subscription to NFB streaming service includes films marked "Campus" as well as those accessible to the general public. NOTE Some films are not available through the streaming service.
- PsycTHERAPY (APA)
Streaming video of 300+ hours of psychotherapy demonstrations featuring 95 renowned North American therapists: 200+ topics, 65 therapeutic approaches. Searchable, with transcripts; playlist capability.
Selected Internet Sites
Accessible to anyone with an Internet connection.
McGill Selected Internet Sites
- McGill School of Social work
- Centre for Research on Children and Families (CRCF)
- IAIN Indonesia Social Equity Project
- McGill Centre for Studies in Aging (MCSA)
- International Community Action Network (ICAN)
Formerly McGill Middle East Program (MMEP).
- McGill Institute for Health and Social Policy
- Dr. Henry Kravitz Psychiatry Library, Institute of Community and Family Psychiatry, Jewish General Hospital
- New Social Worker Online
"The professional social work careers magazine."
- Internet Social Worker (intute)
Interactive tutorial to improve Internet skills.
- Social Work Policy Institute (NASW)
- Ministère de la santé et des Services sociaux du Québec
- Agence de la santé et des services sociaux de Montréal
- Familles et Aînés Québec
- Disability (Human Resources and Skills Development Canada) (HRSDC)
- Public Health Agency of Canada: Childhood and Adolescence
- Public Health Agency of Canada: Aboriginal Head Start (AHS)
Associations - Canada, Québec
- Canadian Association of Social Workers
- CASWE/ACFTS (Canadian Association for Social Work Education)
- Canadian Council on Social Development (CCSD)
- FRP Canada (Canadian Association of Family Resource Programs)
- Ordre professionel des travailleurs sociaux du Québec
- Association québécoise d'établissements de santé et de services sociaux
- CHSSN (Community Health and Social Services Network)
For Quebec English-speaking communities.
- RUFUTS (Regroupement des Unités de Formation Universitaire en Travail Social du Québec)
Associations - Other
- AAMFT (American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy)
- Association of Baccalaureate Social Work Program Directors (BPD)
- ASWB (Association of Social Work Boards)
- British Association of Social Workers
- Clinical Social Work Association (CSWA)
- Council on Social Work Education
- International Association for Social Work with Groups (IASWG)
Formerly the Association for the Advancement of Social Work with Groups (AASWG).
- International Association of Schools of Social Work (IASSW - AIETS)
- International Council on Social Welfare
- International Federation of Social Workers
- NAPRSW (National Association of Puerto Rican & Hispanic Social Workers
- NASW Online (National Association of Social Workers)
- National Association of Black Social Workers
- National Indian Child Welfare Association
- National Organization of Forensic Social Work
- National Rural Social Work Caucus
Contains Rural Annotated Bibliography, a.k.a. Annotated Bibliography on Rural Policy and Rural Social Work Practice and links.
- North American Association of Christians in Social Work
- Registry of Marriage and Family Therapists in Canada, Inc. (RMFT)
- School Social Work Association of America
- Society for Social Work and Research (SSWR)
Under Doctoral Student Center, some helpful links for dissertation and journal writing, teaching, presentations, research methods, etc.
- Society for Social Work Leadership in Health Care
Standards, links, etc.
- Scourge of a Continent: The Devastation of AIDS, HIV Prevention Policies, and the Relief Effort in Sub-Saharan Africa
CSA Discovery Guide featuring review article, citations, web sites, glossary.
Alzheimer's Disease, Aging
- Alzheimer's Disease: A Family Affair and a Growing Social Problem
CSA Discovery Guide featuring review article, citations, web sites, glossary.
- Canadian Caregiver Coalition
With links to key studies and reports.
- Resource Page for Nursing Home Social Workers
From University of Iowa School of Social Work.
Code of Ethics
- Code of Ethics of Social Workers
- CASW Code of Ethics (2005)
- Guideline for Ethical Practice (CASW) (2005)
- NASW Code of Ethics
- IFSW Statement of Ethical Principles
- IFSW National Codes of Ethics
Adopted by member organizations.
- Center on Knowledge Translation for Disability and Rehabilitation Research Registry on Systematic Reviews
- Office for Disability Issues (Human Resources and Social Development Canada)
- Disability Research(Canadian Council on Social Development
- ADA Library
- Disability Archive (UK)
- Web and Data Sources for Social Policy Research
Electronic sources for statistics and other data, by Susan Czarnocki, Data Specialist, Electronic Data Resource Service, McGill Libary.
- E-Library for Global Welfare
Formerly Social Policy WWW Virtual Library.
- Social Policy - Evaluation (WWW Virtual Library)
Links to worldwide government auditors, evaluation societies, research guides, statistical databases.
- Institute for Research on Public Policy (IRPP)
- Canadian Council on Social Development ;
- Canadian Social Research Links ;
- Policy Horizons Canada ;
- Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives ;
- Caledon Institute of Social Policy ;
Research reports 1993- , and Social Policy Record 2007- .
International network for comparative research and public policy development on migration, diversity, and immigrant integration in cities in Canada and elsewhere.
- Social Research and Demonstration Corporation
Non-profit organization shares its research, projects, and publications that evaluate existing social programs, and test new social program ideas.
- European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research
- Introduction to Social Policy
By Paul Spicker, Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen.
- Joint Center for Poverty Research
Online reports, conference proceedings, ebooks, policy briefs, working papers, links, etc. all re "what it means to be poor and live in America."
- Public Policy Hub
Mainly UK structures, policies, and resources supporting policy making and delivery.
- Policy Archive
Summaries and full texts, videos, reports, briefs, and multimedia material of think tank, university, government, and foundation-funded policy research.
Statistics, policy documents, international database of research on homelessness, etc. in French and English, maintained by Fédération Européenne d'Associations Nationales Travaillant avec les Sans-Abri.
- UNRISD (United Nations Research Institute for Social Development)
Autonomous UN agency that carries out research on the social dimensions of contemporary problems affecting development.
- Social Work and Social Welfare in Canada
Includes glossary, online course, history, publications and links, by Steve Hick.
Non-profit social services organization of Aboriginal gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people in Toronto.
- Coalition des familles homoparentales
- Project 10
Educational support services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth who attend public school.
- Up Series
Not an Internet site but a documentary television series (DVD). Cf. Up series Wikipedia article.
- Mass Observation Online
Individual accounts of everyday life and events in Britain collected 1937-1972 on various topics including police reports, accounts of crime and accidents in the Blackout, war period; sexual behaviour (including reports on sex in and outside of marriage, sexual morality, questionnaires, and material on contraception, ‘Lonely Hearts’ clubs, and venereal disease); health (including surveys of health, the National Health Service and chemists’ shops); family planning (including family surveys and matrimony questionnaires), etc.
- Centre for Longitudinal Studies
- ESRC United Kingdom Longitudinal Studies Centre
Includes link to the Keeping Track, database of longitudinal datasets collected by government and other sources in the UK and worldwide: ceased in 2004.
- National Longitudinal Surveys (USA Dept of Labor)
Re "labor market activities and other significant life events."
- Longitudinal Studies of Aging
From US National Center for Health Statistics.
- Longitudinal Studies of Child Abuse and Neglect (LONGSCAN)
Collaborative studies exploring critical issues in child abuse. Some data restricted.
- Youth in Transition Survey (YITS)
Initiative of Human Resources and Social Development Canada, and Statistics Canada.
- National Longitudinal Survey of Children and Youth (NLSCY)
Statistics Canada long-term study of the development and well-being of Canadian children from birth to early adulthood, including factors influencing social, emotional and behavioural development over time.
- Institute of Marriage and Family Canada
- How Couples Meet and Stay Together
Stanford University study of 4,000+ American adults to determine whether traditional couples and nontraditional couples meet in the same way and their dissolution rates.
- Healing Journey: Family Violence Prevention
For aboriginal communities.
- National Clearinghouse on Family Violence
- Family Violence (Canada Department of Justice)
- Centre for Children and Families in the Justice System
- Centre de recherche interdisciplinaire sur les problèmes conjugaux et les agressions sexuelles (CRIPCAS)
- Interdisciplinary Research Center on Family Violence and Violence against Women (CRI-VIFF)
Institute on Violence, Abuse and Trauma.
- Minnesota Center Against Violence and Abuse
- VAWnet: National Online Resource Center on Violence Against Women
Other Internet Sites
- Canadian Social Work University Programs
- Research Mindedness
Learning resource to help students and practitioners of social care and social work make more effective and extensive use of research in their studies and in practice.
Social policy and social work teaching resources on the web:handouts, exercises, podcasts, videos, etc.
- FIRA (Father Involvement Research Alliance)
"Pan-Canadian alliance of individuals, organizations and institutions dedicated to the development and sharing of knowledge focusing on father involvement."
- International Society for Quality of Life Research (ISOQOL)
- Butler Center for Research (Hazelden Foundation)
Clinical and institutional research re recovery from addiction: surveys, research trends, searchable research library catalogue, and Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs - Data Archives, Surveys and Related Databases.
- Community-Based Research Canada
"... intended to enable and empower citizens across Canada to access, produce, and put into action knowledge that will make their communities more sustainable, fairer, safer, healthier, and prosperous."
- Centre jeunesse de Montréal -Institut universitaire
Course-Related Library Guides
- SWRK 723 – Advanced seminar in social policy
Annotated list, with links, of major sources for government information, compiled for SWRK 723 (Prof. W. Thomson, School of Social Work) by Megan Fitzgibbons, Liaison Librarian, January, 2010.
Related subject guides