hssl [dot] library [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email) • 514-398-4734
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Dictionaries, Encyclopedias (Electronic & Print)
- 21st century sociology : a reference handbook
- Blackwell encyclopedia of Sociology
HSSL REF HM425 B53 2007 v. 1-11
- Dictionary of Sociolinguistics
- Dictionary of Sociology (Oxford)
- Dictionary of the Social Sciences (Oxford)
- Encyclopedia of American Social Movements
HSSL REF HN57 E594 2004 v.1-4
- Encyclopedia of Social Psychology
HSSL REF HM1007 E53 2007 v.1-2
- International Encyclopedia of Revolution and Protest: 1500 to the present (2009)
- Handbook of environmental sociology (2002)
- International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences
- Key concepts in medical sociology
- Social Issues in America: an encyclopedia
HSSL REF HN57 S624 2006 v.1-8
Searching the Library Catalogue
Use the basic word(s) anywhere or advanced keyword search in the library catalogue. You can search using words like - gender, sociolog?, demograph?, etc.
|Truncation symbol:||?||e.g. sociolog? will retrieve catalogue records containing the words sociology, sociological, sociologists, etc.|
|Phrase searching:||"___"||e.g. "social research" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase social research|
|Boolean operators:||(), AND, OR, NOT
|e.g. gender AND (sociology OR "social research") will retrieve catalogue records containing the word gender AND either sociology OR the phrase social research|
Periodical Indexing and Full-text Article Databases
- SocIndex with Full Text (EBSCO) Most extensive coverage of the Sociology databases
- Social Sciences Full Text
- Sociological Abstracts 1963-
Additional and Multidisciplinary Databases
- Academic Search Complete (EBSCO)
- Annual Review of Sociology 1975-
- ArticleFirst 1990- (OCLC)
- CAB Abstracts, 1973- (OVID)
Includes Rural Development Abstracts, Leisure, Recreation and Tourism Abstracts and World Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology Abstracts.
- Current Contents 1993- (OVID)
- FRANCIS 1984- Especially good for articles in European journals, often in other languages
- Health & Psychosocial Instruments (OVID)
- Humanities and Social Sciences Index Retrospective, 1907-1984
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences 1981-
- Mass Observation Online
- Project MUSE
- ProQuest Research Library, 1971-
- Sage Journals online
- Social Sciences Citation Index (Web of Science), 1956-
Statistics (Electronic Databases)
- ICPSR: Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research
- World Development Indicators, 1970-
Selected Internet Sites
Accessible to anyone with an Internet connection.
- McGill University Department of Sociology
- Yahoo: Sociology
- Sociological Tour Through Cyberspace
- Canadian Social Research
- Canadian Race Relations Foundation Publish downloadable PDF reports on various topics.
- Multicultural Canada
- Sloan Work and Family Research Network
With access to the Sloan Work and Family Research Literature Database with over 3,000 references.and annotations for articles, books, chapters in books, reports, and papers.
- Human Resources and Social Development Canada
Banque de données de la recherche sur la famille au Québec.
- Santé et Services Sociaux Québec
- Impact of legalized Abortion on Crime
- MOST Clearing House (UNESCO)
Management of Social Transformations Programme re research on globalization and governance, multi-racial and multi-ethnic societies, urban development, poverty eradication, etc.
United Nations Research Institute for Social Development Programs, research and reports on international aspects of social development
Sociological information system based at University of Amsterdam: links to online journals, libraries, bookstores, associations, newsletters, etc.
- Research on Immigration and Integration in the Metropolis Working Papers
Full text of papers published since 1996 by the Metropolis British Columbia Centre of Excellence for Rsearch on Immigration and Diversity, plus bibliography of related publications, many full text also.
- Center for the Study and Prevention of Violence
Includes searchable database VioLit.
- Organized Crime and Corruption Bibliographic Database
Annotated bibliography through 2006 from the Nathanson Centre on Transnational Human Rights, Crime and Security, Osgoode Hall, York University.
"A forum for the cross-disciplinary academic discussion of life online,1997-1999."
- Social, Economic and Political Change
Re long term, large scale changes in social, political and economic systems at national and international levels. Compiled by Gene Shackman and Ya-Lin Liu.
- Resources for Methods in Evaluation and Social Research
Compiled by Gene Shackman and Ya-Lin Liu.