- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
- Bloomsbury Dictionary of Myth (xreferplus)
- Brill Dictionary of Religion
- Concise Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church
- Concise Oxford Dictionary of World Religions
- Critical terms for religious studies
- Dictionary of Buddhism (Oxford)
- Digital Dictionary of Buddhism
- Dictionary of Hindu Lore and Legend, Thames & Hudson (xreferplus)
- Dictionary of the Bible (Oxford)
- Encyclopedia of Islam
- Encyclopedia of Religion
- Encyclopedia of the Dead Sea Scrolls
- Macmillan Dictionary of the Bible (xreferplus)
- New Catholic Encyclopedia
- New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis
- Oxford biblical studies online
Bible texts, commentaries, concordances, encyclopedias, atlases and more.
- Popular Dictionary of Buddhism
Biographical Dictionaries (Electronic Databases)
- Oxford Dictionary of Popes
- Oxford Dictionary of Saints
- Oxford Guide to People and Places of the Bible
- Who's Who in Christianity, Routledge (xreferplus)
- Who's Who in the New Testament, Routledge (xreferplus)
- Who's Who in the Old Testament, Routledge (xreferplus)
Searching the Library Catalogue
|Truncation symbol:||?||e.g. religio? will retrieve catalogue records containing the words religion, religions, religious, etc.|
|Phrase searching:||"___"||e.g. "New Testament" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase New Testament|
|Boolean operators:||(), AND, OR, NOT
|e.g. religion AND (revelation OR "New Testament") will retrieve catalogue records containing the word religion AND either revelation OR the phrase New Testament|
Core and Additional Databases
Periodical Indexes, Bibliographies, Full-text Articles and Books
- 19th Century Masterfile
Includes Index to Periodical Articles on Religion 1890-1899, by Ernest Cushing Richardson.
- ATLA religion database with ATLASerials (EBSCO)
- HRAF (Human Relations Area Files)
- Index Islamicus, 1906-1996
Including Religious Studies related material.
- ArticleFirst 1990- (OCLC)
- Arts & Humanities Citation Index (Web of Science) 1975-
- Current Contents 1993- (OVID)
- Electronic Collections Online 1995- (OCLC)
- Project MUSE
- Wilson Humanities Full Text 1984-
- Ad Fontes Digital Library of Classical Protestant Texts
- Ad Fontes Digital Library of the Catholic Reformation
- The Ante-Nicene fathers : translations of the writings of the fathers down to A.D. 325
- Codex Sinaiticus
- Digital Karl Barth Library
- Holy Bible, King James Version (xreferplus)
- Patrologia Latina
- Patrologiae Graecae
- Qur'an (xreferplus)
- Thesaurus Linguae Graecae: A Digital Library of Greek Literature (TLG)
- TBRC Tibetan Buddhist Resource Center digital library: Core Text Collections 1 & 4 NB: Does not work with Internet Explorer - use Firefox, Chrome or Safari
Atlases (Electronic Databases)
Selected Internet Sites
Most of these sites are accessible to anyone with an Internet connection, some require McGill login.
- Birks Reading Room, McGill University
- McGill Faculty of Religious Studies
- Islamic Studies Library, McGill University
- Religion & Philosophy (Center for Research Libraries).
- Canadian Corporation for the Study of Religion
- Academic Info Religion Gateway
"An Annotated Directory of Internet Resources for the Academic Study of Religion" by Mike Madin.
- Psychology of Religion Pages
By Michael E. Nielsen, Ph.D., Department of Psychology, Georgia Southern University
- The Virtual Library: Religion (WWW-Virtual Library)
- Virtual Religion Index
Maintained by Rutgers University Religion Department.
- Religious Resources.org
- Religion Online
More than 4,500 articles, chapters on line: full texts by religious scholars on topics including Bible, Theology, Ethics, Church and Society, Communication, Cultural Studies, Homiletics, Pastoral Care, Missions, Comparative Religion, Sociology of Religion, and Religious Education.
- Theological Research Exchange Network (TREN)
Database of theses and conference papers.
- Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
- Academic Info: Religions in Canada
- Ecole Initiative
Hypertext encyclopedia of early Christian Church history, including English translations of Judeo-Christian and Islamic primary sources to 1500, glossary, articles, images, and chronology.
- Early Christian Writings Links to texts by and about Church fathers and apologists of 1st-2d century
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library
Classic Christian books in electronic format.
- Book of Mormon
"Chaplaincy, crisis, grief, death & divorce archive." Privately maintained site with bibliographies on these topics.
- Ecumenical Links World Council of Churches' site with links.
- Center for Religion and Civic Culture
From the University of Southern California. Includes PDF reports, civic profiles, newsletters, and informational pieces.
Anglican, Protestant (Internet Resources)
Bible (Internet Resources)
- Oxford biblical studies online
Bible texts, commentaries, concordances, encyclopedias, atlases and more. Requires McGill login.
- New Testament Gateway
- Resource Pages for Biblical Studies
Buddhism (Internet Resources)
- Digital Library & Museum of Buddhist Studies
- Lotus Sutra (Burton Watson trans.), with commentary and information on Nichiren Buddhism
Catholic (Internet Resources)
- Catholic Canada Directory
- Catholic Encyclopedia
1907-1912 edition. Cf. 2d edition of New Catholic Encyclopedia (2003- ) HSSL Reference BX841 N44 2003. Part of the New Advent Catholic Website.
- Catholic Educators Resource
Organized by "a group of concerned Catholic educators, academics, and clergy", in conjunction with the Society of Catholic Social Scientists to "identify areas of weakness in teaching materials and to develop supplementary and primary instructional resources which treat fairly the Catholic contribution and perspective."
- Catholic News Agency
- Sexual Abuse by Catholic Clergy: the Canadian situation
Provides information on Canadian cases of sexual and physical of children by Catholic clergy, with links to abuse in other denominations.
- Theology Library at Spring Hill College
"The Jesuit College of the South." 8,000+ links.
- Early Church Fathers
Ante- and Post-Nicene. Full original texts.
Cults, Sects (Internet Resources)
- CESNUR (Center for Studies on New Religions)
- Religious Movements Homepage
Cults, sects, religious broadcasting, religious freedom and televangelism links. By Jeffrey Hadden, Sociology Dept., University of Virginia.
Hindu (Internet Resources)
- Hindu Links Universe
- Hinduism Sacred Texts
Links to sacred texts, epics and books about hinduism in English.