Sources for background information
Encyclopedias, handbooks, atlas
- Bloomsbury companion to Jewish Studies
- The Cambridge dictionary of Judaism and Jewish culture
- Codex Judaica : chronological index of Jewish history, covering 5,764 years of Biblical, Talmudic & post-Talmudic history
- Concise Companion to the Jewish Religion (Oxford)
- Dictionary of Iberian Jewish and Converso Authors
- Encyclopedia Judaica
- Encyclopedia of Jewish folklore and traditions
- Encyclopedia of Jews in the Islamic world
- Encyclopedia of modern Jewish culture
- Encyclopedia of the Jewish diaspora : origins, experiences, and culture
- Encyclopedia of the Pioneers and Builders of Israel
- Modern Hebrew Literature - a Bio-Bibliographical Lexicon A Hebrew database of 2,000 entries updated daily about Hebrew authors.
- Jewish Women. A Comprehensive Historical Encyclopedia
- Oxford Bibliographies Online: Jewish Studies
- The Oxford dictionary of the Jewish religion
- The Palgrave dictionary of medieval Anglo-Jewish history
- Routledge who’s who in Jewish history: after the period of the Old Testament
- Who’s who in the Jewish Bible
- The YIVO encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe
- The YIVO encyclopedia of Jews in Eastern Europe, Online edition
Core and additional databases
Periodical indexes, bibliographies, full-text databases
- Vidal Sassoon International Center for the Study of Antisemitsm
- Index to Jewish Periodicals (EBSCO).
- Jewish Studies Source (EBSCO)
- Bar Ilan's Judaic Library
- RAMBI: Index of articles in Jewish Studies.
Including Jewish Studies-related material.
- America : History and Life 1964-
- ATLA Religion Database-
- British Humanities Index
- Central and Eastern European Online Library
- Historical Abstracts
- Humanities Full text (OVID)
- MLA international bibliography
- PAIS International
- Sociological Abstracts (CSA)
Find journals by title
- Compact memory. Internetarchiv jüdischer Periodika. A virtual archive of 118 Jewish historical magazines and newspapers in German speaking countries from 1806 until 1938 when these were banned by the Nazis.
- Historical Jewish Press A collection of Jewish newspapers published in various countries, languages, and time periods.
- The Jerusalem post
Electronic books Collections
- Hebrew Books A not-for-profit organization founded in order to preserve old American Hebrew books that are out of print and/or circulation.
- Project Ben-Yehuda Complete text of classics of Hebrew literature
- Brill Online Books and Journals
- Oxford Scholarship Online
- Polonsky Foundation Digitization Project A selection of digitized Hebrew manuscripts
- Project MUSE
- University Press Scholarship Online
- Wiley Online Library - Books
- Index to Yiddish Periodicals
- Di Tsukunft "The world's oldest Yiddish literary journal" published since 1892.
- Yidishe Heftn - Les Cahiers yidish Yidishe Heftn features articles dealing with cultural and literary issues (essays, poems, fiction, letters) and articles concerning important Israeli political events and distinguished Jewish individuals.
- National Yiddish Book Center
Full texts of over 10,000 works of modern Yiddish literature, comprising the National Yiddish Book Center's Steven Spielberg Digital Library.
- Vilnius Yiddish Institute
- Writers in Yiddish. Dictionary of Literary Biography Vol. 333
- YIVO Library Yiddish Books Full text of hundreds of Yiddish book published from the 1600 to the beginning of the 20 century.
- Jewish Law. Examining Halacha,Jewish Issues and Secular Law
- Understanding Jewish law / Steven H. Resnicoff.
- Dine Israel
- Jewish law Annual
- Justice Magazine The quarterly magazine of the International Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists (IAJLJ)
- Soncino Babylonian Talmud Translated into English with notes, glossary and indices under the editorship of Rabbi Dr. I. Epstein.
- Florida Atlantic University Judaica Sound Archives The largest online collection of Judaic music in the world.
- Dartmouth Jewish Sound Archive A repository of sound recordings for researchers and students and searchable information that can aid in the study of Jewish music and culture, Jewish society, and the history of Jewish recordings(If you are not a student at Dartmouth College or at Hebrew College, you will need to register and demonstrate a legitimate scholarly or research purpose)
- Jewish Music Institute A collection of books, sheet music, 78s, CDs, tapes and scores covering Jewish music from the middle-ages to the 21st century and spanning all genres including choral, cantorial, jazz, klezmer, Yiddish, Sephardi, Israeli and classical music.
- Milken Archive of Jewish Music The largest collection of American Jewish music, including 800 hours of oral histories, 50,000 photographs and historical documents, and thousands of hours of video footage from recording sessions, interviews, and live performances, plus an extensive collection of program notes and essays.
- Music Collection and Sound Archives The world's largest collection of ethnographic and commercial recordings of Israeli and Jewish music, from the National Library of Israel.
- Naxos Music Library The world´s largest online classical music library. Search under Klezmer, Yiddish, Hebrew, Israeli, Cantorial
- Nostalgia (Hebrew) Portal musica, shir, be-zemer
- Otzar Ha-Zemer Ha -ivri Israel Broadcasting Authority site for streamed Israeli old songs.
- Sephardic Pizmonim Project
- Sephardic Music: a Century of Recordings This site showcases over 100 years of recorded Sephardic music, from the 78 rpm era to the present.
- Zemereshet (in Hebrew) Thousands of recordings from the pre-state days of Israel to the 1950s, including the lyrics to songs.
Selected Internet sites
Accessible to anyone with an Internet connection.
- Academic Jewish Studies Internet Directory (WWW Virtual Library)
- Central Zionist Archives The historic archives of the Zionist Movement, of the World Zionist Organization, and of the Jewish Agency
- Center for Jewish History. Home to five partner organizations: American Jewish Historical Society, American Sephardi Federation, Leo Baeck Institute, Yeshiva University Museum and YIVO Institute for Jewish Research.
- Ets Haim Manuscripts. Images and descriptions of Jewish manuscripts from Ets Haim’s holdings.
- Garment Worker's Legacy: The Joe Fishstein Collection of Yiddish Poetry
- Internet Jewish History Sourcebook
- Israel State Archives
- Jewish Public Library (Montréal)
- Jewish Languages Provides information and bibliographic references about Jewish languages
- Jewish Virtual LibraryIsrael Union Catalog
Over 6 million bibliographic records in the catalogues of the Israeli university and college libraries, as well as selected research institute and government libraries.
- The Judaica Europeana Consortium
- Judeo-Spanish (Ladino Language)
- Jewish Language Research Website Information about several Jewish languages
- Ladino language (Instituto Maale Adumim)
- McGill University Department of Jewish Studies
- The Middle East 1916-2001 : A Documentary Record. From the The Avalon Project at Yale Law School.
- RACHEL. Réseau européen des bibliothèques judaique et hebraique.
- Sefaria. An open source, not-for-profit project committed to bringing digital Jewish texts into the public domain
- YIVO Digital Archive on Jewish Life in Poland. A collection of manuscripts, posters, photographs, music and other artifacts.
E-journals (Internet resources)
- Dorot The McGill Undergraduate Journal of Jewish Studies
- JEWISH STUDIES, AN INTERNET JOURNAL JSIJ is a peer-reviewed, electronic journal dealing with all fields of Jewish studies, published by the Faculty of Jewish Studies, Bar-Ilan University, Israel.
- Melilah Manchester Journal of Jewish Studies
- Quntres An Online Journal for the History, Culture, and Art of the Jewish Book.
- Sephardic Horizons An Online Journal about Sephardic culture, Sephardic music and the Ladino or Judeo-Spanish language.
- WOMEN IN JUDAISM: A MULTIDISCIPLINARY JOURNAL An academic, refereed journal published exclusively on the Internet, and devoted to scholarly debate on gender-related issues in Judaism.
Related subject guides