robin [dot] canuel [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-4698
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
- Encyclopedia of North American Indians
- Treaties with American Indians: an encyclopedia of rights, conflicts and sovereignty
Includes information on Canadian tribes and treaties. Also in book format in MCL REF KF8203.6 T74 2008 v.1-3
Searching the Library Catalogue
Use the basic word(s) anywhere or advanced keyword search in the library catalogue. You can search using words like - indigenous, aborigin?, etc.
|Truncation symbol:||?||e.g. aborigin? will retrieve catalogue records containing the words aborigine, aborigines, aboriginal, etc.|
|Phrase searching:||"___"||e.g. "first nations" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase first nations|
|Boolean operators:||(), AND, OR, NOT |
|e.g. history AND (indigenous OR "first nations") will retrieve catalogue records containing the word history AND either indigenous OR the phrase first nations|
Periodical Indexes, Bibliographies, Full-text Databases
- Anthropology Plus
- Bibliography of Native North Americans
Indexes works concerning native North American issues from the 16th century to the present, including monographs, essays, journal articles, dissertations and other publications.
- CBCA Complete 1982-
- Early Canadiana Online Primary sources for Canadian native studies
- Early Encounters in North America: peoples, cultures and the environment
- eHRAF World Cultures
- For Seven Generations
Report of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples, 1997.
- Wenger Anthropological Eskimo Database
- America: History and Life
Full text of over 30 journals published through the American Anthropological Association
- CPI.Q (Canadian Periodical Index)
- Repère 1980-
- Portrait of Aboriginal Population in Canada (Dimension Series Census 1996)
See also EDRS description 1 and 2
Selected Internet Sites
Accessible to anyone with an Internet connection.
- McGill University Department of Anthropology
- First People's House (McGill University)
- Kanata: McGill Undergraduate Journal on Indigenous Peoples of North America
- First Nations Research - Land Claims
Simon Fraser University Library Research guide with references & links to research, policy and program materials relating to native land claims in Canada.
- Aboriginal Studies (WWW Virtual Library)
- American Indians (WWW Virtual Library)
Documents relating to aboriginals in Quebec.
- First Nations Seeker
- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
- Assembly of First Nations
- Native American Ethnobotany Database
- Native Health Database
- ASTIS (Arctic Science and Technology Information System)
Over 46,000 records of publications and research projects about northern Canada, native peoples, northern oil and gas technology, etc.
- Innu Nation
Annotated list of periodicals (magazines, journals, newspapers and newsletters) published by Canada's Inuit peoples.
- Aboriginal Canada Portal
- Academic Info: Canadian First Nations
- First Perspective, A Canadian source providing stories related to major Aboriginal issues, including politics, health, and the environment.
- Indigenous Studies Portal. University of Saskatchewan site with links to published research on all aspects of indigenous studies.
- Québec Secrétariat aux affaires autochtones
- Turtle Island Native Network, Provides links to news on aboriginal issues and to sites related to healing and wellness, culture, education, and business.
- Grand Council of the Crees
- Nunavik Bibliography
"A cooperative long-term project to build a comprehensive bibliographic database about northern Quebec" north of 55° and some adjacent regions, a subset of the Arctic Institute of North America's Arctic Science and Technology Information System (ASTIS) database.
- Taiaiako’n Historical Preservation Society.
Information on preservation efforts for indigenous sites in the Toronto area, and other activities
- U.S. Department of the Interior Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Povos Indígenas (Fundação Nacional do Índio)
Re Brazil. In Portuguese.
- NativeWeb: resources for indigenous cultures around the world
- Links to Aboriginal Resources
- Indigenous Peoples' Literature
- First Nations Periodical Index
- Indigenous Environmental Network
- People's Paths Home Page: Paths to NAIIP Indian Tribes & Nations (North American Indian & Indigenous People)
- Center for World Indigenous Studies [does not work with Internet Explorer]
- Kahon:wes's Mohawk & Iroquois Index
- Ohwejagehka: Ha`degaenage
Nonprofit organization based on Six Nations of the Grand River in Ontario Canada established to help preserve and nurture Iroquoian languages and songs.
- Aboriginal treaties and documents
Selected full-text treaties and statutes from the National Archives of Canada, as well as links to land claims-related issues.
- Native American Documents Project
Documents from the U.S. National Archives and from reports of U.S. commissioner of Indian Affairs, many re Dawes Act or General Allotment Act (1887).