robin [dot] canuel [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-4698
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
- Encyclopedia of North American Indians
- Treaties with American Indians: an encyclopedia of rights, conflicts and sovereignty
Includes information on Canadian tribes and treaties. Also in book format in MCL REF KF8203.6 T74 2008 v.1-3
Searching the Library Catalogue
WorldCat - Library Catalogue/Discovery Tool
- Finding Books, etc
Use WorldCat to find books, journals, articles, and other resources, in both print or electronic format. Your search will cover McGill's entire collection of resources, and can be expanded to include the collections of libraries worldwide.
Classic - Library Catalogue
- Finding Books, etc
Use the classic catalogue to search for print books, journals, DVDs, and other items that are in McGill's collection.
Periodical Indexes, Bibliographies, Full-text Databases
- Anthropology Plus
- Bibliography of Native North Americans
Indexes works concerning native North American issues from the 16th century to the present, including monographs, essays, journal articles, dissertations and other publications.
- CBCA Complete 1982-
- Early Canadiana Online Primary sources for Canadian native studies
- Early Encounters in North America: peoples, cultures and the environment
- eHRAF World Cultures
- For Seven Generations
Report of the Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples, 1997.
- Wenger Anthropological Eskimo Database
- America: History and Life
Full text of over 30 journals published through the American Anthropological Association
- CPI.Q (Canadian Periodical Index)
- Repère 1980-
- Portrait of Aboriginal Population in Canada (Dimension Series Census 1996)
See also EDRS description 1 and 2
Selected Internet Sites
Accessible to anyone with an Internet connection.
- McGill University Department of Anthropology
- First People's House (McGill University)
- Kanata: McGill Undergraduate Journal on Indigenous Peoples of North America
- First Nations Research - Land Claims
Simon Fraser University Library Research guide with references & links to research, policy and program materials relating to native land claims in Canada.
- Aboriginal Studies (WWW Virtual Library)
- American Indians (WWW Virtual Library)
Documents relating to aboriginals in Quebec.
- First Nations Seeker
- Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
- Assembly of First Nations
- Native American Ethnobotany Database
- Native Health Database
- ASTIS (Arctic Science and Technology Information System)
Over 46,000 records of publications and research projects about northern Canada, native peoples, northern oil and gas technology, etc.
- Innu Nation
Annotated list of periodicals (magazines, journals, newspapers and newsletters) published by Canada's Inuit peoples.
- Aboriginal Canada Portal
- Academic Info: Canadian First Nations
- First Perspective, A Canadian source providing stories related to major Aboriginal issues, including politics, health, and the environment.
- Indigenous Studies Portal. University of Saskatchewan site with links to published research on all aspects of indigenous studies.
- Québec Secrétariat aux affaires autochtones
- Turtle Island Native Network, Provides links to news on aboriginal issues and to sites related to healing and wellness, culture, education, and business.
- Grand Council of the Crees
- Nunavik Bibliography
"A cooperative long-term project to build a comprehensive bibliographic database about northern Quebec" north of 55° and some adjacent regions, a subset of the Arctic Institute of North America's Arctic Science and Technology Information System (ASTIS) database.
- Taiaiako’n Historical Preservation Society.
Information on preservation efforts for indigenous sites in the Toronto area, and other activities
- U.S. Department of the Interior Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Povos Indígenas (Fundação Nacional do Índio)
Re Brazil. In Portuguese.
- NativeWeb: resources for indigenous cultures around the world
- Links to Aboriginal Resources
- Indigenous Peoples' Literature
- First Nations Periodical Index
- Indigenous Environmental Network
- People's Paths Home Page: Paths to NAIIP Indian Tribes & Nations (North American Indian & Indigenous People)
- Center for World Indigenous Studies [does not work with Internet Explorer]
- Kahon:wes's Mohawk & Iroquois Index
- Ohwejagehka: Ha`degaenage
Nonprofit organization based on Six Nations of the Grand River in Ontario Canada established to help preserve and nurture Iroquoian languages and songs.
- Aboriginal treaties and documents
Selected full-text treaties and statutes from the National Archives of Canada, as well as links to land claims-related issues.
- Native American Documents Project
Documents from the U.S. National Archives and from reports of U.S. commissioner of Indian Affairs, many re Dawes Act or General Allotment Act (1887).
Related Subject Guides