eamon [dot] duffy [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-4697
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Sources for Background Information
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Oxford Companion to the History of Modern Science
- Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Encyclopedia of Life Sciences
- New Dictionary of the History of Ideas
- New Dictionary of Scientists (Oxford)
Searching the Library Catalogue
|Truncation symbol:||?||e.g. histor? will retrieve catalogue records containing the words history, histories, historical, etc.|
|Phrase searching:||"___"||e.g. "United Nations" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase United Nations|
|Boolean operators:||(), AND, OR, NOT |
|e.g. history AND (Canada OR "United States") will retrieve catalogue records containing the word history AND either Canada OR the phrase United States|
Core and additional databases.
Periodical indexes for History and Philosophy of Science and related subjects:
Click on "Info?" for a detailed description of the database contents and coverage.
- History of Science, Technology, and Medicine , coverage 1975- Info?
Printed bibliographies for earlier years:
Isis Cumulative Bibliographies of the History of Science, 1913-65
Isis Cumulative Bibliographies of the History of Science, 1966-75
- Philosopher's Index, coverage 1940- Info?
- BHInet (British Humanities Index), coverage 1962- Info?
- FRANCIS, coverage 1984- Info?
For specific historical periods:
- Historical Abstracts Covers European history since the Renaissance. America: History and Life Covers all periods of Canada and the US. These two databases can be searched together or separately. Info about Historical Abstracts? Info about America: History and Life?
- International Medieval Bibliography , coverage 1967-
- Année philologique (Covers all of Classical Antiquity), coverage 1924-2007 Info?
Very large, multi-subject periodical indexes. There is a lot of content dealing with history and philosophy of science in these databases and very many full-text files. Years of coverage vary greatly.
- WilsonWeb OmniFile Full Text Mega, coverage mainly 1984-
For retrospective coverage 1907-1984, go to WilsonWeb, open the database selection area and select "Humanities and Social Sciences Index Retro."To search thousands of collections of essays, open the database selection area and select "Essay and General Literature Index." All three databases can be combined in the same search.
- ProQuest Research Library - (Years of coverage vary)
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO) - (Years of coverage vary)
- Expanded Academic ASAP (Gale) - (Years of coverage vary)
Selected Internet Sites
- Voice of the Shuttle: History of Sci-Tech Sponsored by the University of California at Santa Barbara.
- Intute History and Philosophy of Science Resources Sponsored by the Joint Information Systems Committee in the UK.
- BSHS Directory of Links in the History of Science, Technology and Medicine Maintained by the British Society for the History of Science.
- History of Science and Technology Maintained by the University of Delaware Library.
- ECHO - exploring and collecting history online — science, technology, and industry Maintained by the Center for History and New Media, George Mason University.