- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
- Cultural Geography : a Critical Dictionary of Key Concepts
- Dictionary of Human Geography
- Encyclopedia of Human Geography
- Encyclopedia of Urban Studies
- International Encyclopedia of Human Geography
- The Oxford Companion to Global Change
Searching the Library Catalogue
|Truncation symbol:||?||e.g. histor? will retrieve catalogue records containing the words history, histories, historical, etc.|
|Phrase searching:||"___"||e.g. "United Nations" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase United Nations|
|Boolean operators:||(), AND, OR, NOT
|e.g. history AND (Canada OR "United States") will retrieve catalogue records containing the word history AND either Canada OR the phrase United States|
- Africa-Wide Information - Multidisciplinary database covering all aspects of Africa and African Studies.
- CAB Abstracts - Covers research and development literature in the fields of agriculture, forestry, health, natural resources management and tourism.
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management Database - Multidisciplinary, comprehensive coverage of the environmental sciences.
- GEOBASE - Multidisciplinary database for human and physical geography, ecology, geology, oceanography, geomechanics and development studies.
- Google Scholar
Searches scholarly literature across disciplines and sources and includes some grey literature. Use the Google search tips here: google_tips_handout.pdf.
- GreenFILE - Focuses on human impact on the environment. Topics covered include green issues, global climate change, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more.
- GREENR - Devoted to the study of sustainability and the environment and provides access to academic articles, news articles, background information, video, primary source documents and statistics.
- OECD iLibrary - Online library of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. OECD publications cover economic, environmental, and social issues including trade, education, labour, social policy, health, finance, development, energy, sustainability, and science and innovation.
- MEDLINE (1996- ) (or search via PubMed) - Journal article database of the National Library of Medicine in the U.S. Some coverage of health-related topics in Geography such as global health, social determinants of health, and climate change issues.
- PAIS International - Covers global public policy, social issues, demography, environmental studies, general social sciences.
- General Science Full Text - Scientific information, including: Conservation, Environment, Food, Health
- Scopus - A major multidisciplinary database that includes backward and forward citation linking as well as citation counts.
- SimplyMap Canada - Enables non-technical users to create thematic maps and reports comparing demographic, business, and marketing data across geographic regions. GIS users can export data and corresponding shapefiles and use them in ArcGIS projects.
- Social Sciences Full Text - Coverage of both applied and theoretical aspects of the Social Sciences, including Economics, Environmental Studies, Gender Studies, Geography, Planning & Public Administration, Policy Sciences, Political Science, Sociology, and Urban Studies.
- Urban Studies Abstracts - Covers areas essential to urban studies, including city planning, urban affairs, community development, transportation, and urban design.
- Web of Science - A major multidisciplinary database for the Social Sciences, Arts & Humanities, as well as the Sciences. Allows for cited reference searching to find articles that cite a previously published work.
Grey Literature Sources
Non-academic or "in-house" literature outside of traditional publishing -- government documents, urban plans, reports, working papers, etc. If the source is a Google Custom Search, use the Google search tips here: google_tips_handout.pdf.
- Carleton University's Find Canadian Government Publications on the Web
Google Custom Search that searches across Canadian government websites with the option to limit to federal, provincial, or municipal information.
- Canadian electronic library: Canadian public policy collection
Publications from Canadian public policy institutes, government agencies, advocacy groups, think-tanks, university research centres and public interest groups.
- IGO Search
Google Custom Search of websites of over 3000 IGOs for reports and other publications. Maintained by the Union of International Associations (UIA).
- NGO Search
Custom Google Search of websites of IGO websites for reports and other publications
- Google Scholar
Searches scholarly literature across disciplines and sources and includes some grey literature.
- McGill Library Subject Guide for Theses and Dissertations
Lists sources for locating theses and dissertations from McGill and beyond.
- McGill Library Subject Guide for Conference Papers
Lists sources for locating conference papers and presentations. Conference papers and presentations report research in-progress.
Selected Internet Sites
- CIA World Factbook
- Poverty Reduction and Equity: World Bank
- UN-HABITAT: United Nations Human Settlements Programme
- UN Human Development Reports and Data
- DataBank, The World Bank
- World Health Organization
- World Resources Institute