East Asian Studies
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
- Han dian 汉典 (Dictionary of Chinese characters, words and idioms)
- Chinese English Online Dictionary
- China Knowledge - a universal guide for China studies
- 語源由来辞典 (Gogen Yurai Jiten)
- Japanese English Online Dictionary
- Encyclopedia of Modern China
- Encyclopedia of contemporary Japanese culture
Searching the Library Catalogue
Core and Additional Databases
- Bibliography of Asian Studies, 1971-
Online version of the Bibliography of Asian Studies (BAS), referencing principally western-language articles and book chapters on all parts of Asia published since 1971.
- China Academic Journals (CAJ) Series F 中國學術期刊
Guide to Searching CAJ
Full text articles (1994 – present) from over 2,300 Chinese academic journals on art, humanities, social science and other fields.
- China/Asia On Demand (CAOD)
An effective knowledge gateway to research materials from China in particular and Asia in general. Documents can be retrieved in their original format including graphs and illustrations.
- China Data Online 中國數據在線
A database covering comprehensive Chinese statistical information, including population, education, industrial, economic and cultural statistics.
- Early medieval China 中国中古研究.
A journal devoted to academic scholarship relating to the period roughly between the end of the Han and beginning of the Tang eras. However, the journal's coverage is occasionally extended in either direction. The focus remains on the people, events, and culture of the years 220-589 A.D.
- China Ancient Texts Database 漢達文庫(CHANT)
CHANT provides access to transmitted texts and excavated texts from ancient China (antiquity to late 6th century).
CiNii (Scholarly and Academic Information Navigator) enables searching of information on academic papers published in academic society journals or university research bulletins, or included in the National Diet Library's Japanese Periodicals Index Database.
- Current Digest of the Chinese Press
Each week The Current Digest presents a digestible collection of articles from key Chinese newspapers on such topics as politics, international relations, economics, business, health, environment, education, culture and more. Articles are selected from a wide variety of sources in China. Each article is translated into English, with great attention given to conveying "the sense and spirit" of the Chinese text.
- Harvard Korean Studies Bibliography
- Humanities Full Text (EBSCO)
- Institute of Chinese Modern History, Chinese Academy of Social Science
- International Bibliography of the Social Sciences (ProQuest) 1951-
Includes over two million bibliographic references to journal articles, books, reviews and chapters published since 1951. Over 2,800 journals are regularly indexed and some 7,000 books are included each year.
JapanKnowledge is a portal to Japanese encyclopedias, dictionaries and other databases.
- JSTOR and Asian Studies Journals on JSTOR
JSTOR is an archive of important scholarly journals. Content in JSTOR spans many disciplines, primarily in the humanities and social sciences.
- Kikuzō II bijuaru for libraries 聞蔵IIビジュアル for libraries
Newspaper database for Asahi shinbun containing 5 million articles published since 1985 and over 2.1 million articles from 1945 to 1984. Also includes articles from the weekly magazines Aera and Shūkan Asahi, and from the annual new-word dictionary Chiezō.
How to use Kikuzō II bijuaru for libraries 聞蔵IIビジュアル for libraries
- Koseisha Zasshi Kiji Sakuin Shusei 皓星社雑誌記事索引集成データベース.
Koseisha is the publisher of Meiji Taisho Showa zenki zasshi kiji sakuin shusei, a print index of Japanese periodical articles for the 1868-1948 period. The database provides online access to the author index and some table of contents of the print volumes.
- Korean Studies (Hanʼgukhak teitʻŏ peisŭ = 한국학데이터베이스)
Provides resources in the field of Korean studies, covering all academic disciplines such as arts and humanities, social sciences, sciences, medical sciences, etc.
- Ming Qing Women's Writings 明清婦女著作
This Digitization Project contains digitally scanned images of 90 titles of collections of writings by women that are in the holdings of the Harvard-Yenching Library.
- National Social Sciences Database 国家哲学社会科学学术期刊数据库
- National Institute of Korean History (by 국사편찬위원희)
- OriProbe Open Resources
This database includes China Legal Access such as Laws, Policies, Regulations and China Business References etc.
- Project MUSE
Project MUSE was launched in 1995 by the Johns Hopkins University Press, to offer the full text of JHUP scholarly journals via the world wide web. In 1999, MUSE published online 46 JHUP titles in the humanities, social sciences.
- Ren min ri bao 人民日報 (People's Daily, 1946-)
Electronic version of the official Chinese newspaper in mainland China. Coverage from 1946 to present.
- Shenbao 申報
Electronic version of Shenbao 申報. Shenbao developed into the first modern newspaper in China and soon became the most read daily paper nationwide. The database covers the full run of Shenbao, from April 1872 to its cessation in May 1949. In this version, the database makes available searchable fulltexts and pdf-images of most issues.
- Si bu cong kan 四部叢刊
A collection of the main works reprinted from the rare Song, Yuan, and Ming editions. http://hanchi.ihp.sinica.edu.tw/ihp/hanji.htm
- Si ku quan shu 四庫全書 (文淵閣版)
A comprehensive collection of Chinese scholarship up to the 18th century.
- Scripta Sinica 漢籍電子文獻資料庫
A full-text database containing about 460 Chinese pre-modern works essential to research in traditional Sinology. It contains almost all of the important Chinese classics, especially those related to Chinese history.
- Zhongguo li dai shi ke shi liao hui bian 中國歷代石刻史料匯編
This database compiles more than 17,000 metal and stone inscriptions selected by the National Library of China.
- Nineteenth Century U.S. Newspapers Including news on China between 1800-1900.
- Nineteenth Century British Library Newspapers Including news on China between 1800-1860.
- North China Herald Principal English newspaper published in Shanghai, China during the so called "treaty century"(1842-1943), when the Great Western Powers established a strong presence in China.
- Chinese Recorder This collection answers a need for clear, intelligible and informative English-language sources relating to China and the West, 1793-1980, which can be accessed online and used in the classroom or in course packs. Also ideal for independent projects on almost any aspect of Chinese history during the two centuries of monumental social and political upheaval that ultimately recreated China into a modern power.
- China: Trade, Politics and Culture 1793-1980 This collection meets the need for intelligible and informative English-language sources relating to China and the West, 1793-1980. It Includes almost any aspect of Chinese modern history during the two centuries of monumental social and political upheaval that ultimately recreated China into a modern power, with manuscripts encompassing events from the earliest English embassy to the birth and early years of the People’s Republic.
- Nineteenth Century Collections Online Including many files such as manuscripts, maps, photos, monographs, images on Asia and the West, and cultural and diplomatic exchange.
Selected Internet Sites
Accessible to anyone with an Internet connection.
- McGill University Department of East Asian Studies
- Centre for East Asian Research, McGill University
- European Association of Sinological Librarians (EASL)
- Subject Resources for Asian Studies (non-Asian languages)
From the University of British Columbia Library.
- Asian Studies (WWW Virtual Library)
- China Trade, politics & culture, 1793-1980: sources from the School of Oriental And African Studies and the British Library, London
- Internet Guide for China Studies (WWW Virtual Library)
- China (University of Michigan Documents Center)
- Scripta Sinica 中 央 研 究 院 漢 籍 電 子 文 獻
- China Vitae
- Chinese Surnames
Part of WorldGen Web Project (genealogy).
- China Historical GIS
Database of historical administrative units for periods in Chinese History, and base GIS platform for spatial analysis, temporal statistical modeling, and representation of selected historical units as digital maps.
- E-Magazine: Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures
- The Foreign Press Center/Japan (FPCJ)
- Japan Focus : An Asia-Pacific Journal
- Libraries and Information in Japan: A Bibliography
- JGuide: Stanford Guide to Japan Information Resources
- The Historiographical Institute, The University of Tokyo 東京大学史料編纂所
- International Research Center for Japanese Studies 国際日本文化研究センター
- East Asian Libraries Cooperative World-Wide Web (Japan)
National Center for Science Information Systems (NACSIS-ELS) provides an integrated system of bibliographic databases and an electronic document delivery of Japanese academic journals on the Internet.
- North American Coordinating Council on Japanese Library Resources
Scholarly discussion, links, etc.
- Japan Center for Asian Historical Records (JACAR)
- Gordon W. Prange Collection (1945 - 1949)
List of virtually everything published in Japan on all subjects in the period indicated. Database in Japanese. Free registration required.
- Doing Photography and Social Research in the Allied Occupation of Japan, 1948-1951: A Personal and Professional Memoir
By anthropologist John W. Bennett, taken 1948-1951, some 1960's. Also selections from Bennett's professional journal of the period, and other documents.
- Korean History: a Bibliography (Kenneth Robinson)
- CEAL Committee on Korean Materials: Internet Resources Subject Guides
- Korean American Digital Archive At the University of Southern California..
- Korean Short Story Index
Short story collections held at Hamilton Library, University of Hawaii at Manoa, including some medium- or full-length stories and plays when part of a collection.
- Beijing Daily
- China Youth Daily
- Economic Daily
- Economic Information Daily
- Guang Ming Daily
- Jie Fang Daily
- People's Daily
- Science & Technology Daily
- Wen Hui Daily
- Xin Hua She
- Central Daily News
- Central News Agency
- China Times
- Taiwan Economic News (Eng)
- Taiwan Shin Wen Daily News
- Taiwan Today News Network
- Asahi 朝日新闻
- Asahi (English version of Asahi Shimbun 朝日新闻)
- Daily Yomiuri (English version of Yomiuri Shimbun 読売新聞)
- Mainichi Daily News (English version of Mainichi Shimbun 毎日新聞)
- Nihon Keizai Shimbun (English version of Nikkei Shimbun 日經新聞)
East Asian Electronic Journals
- Asian DOC (English)
- China Scholars Abroad (Chinese)
- Far Eastern Ecomonic Review (English)
- Japan Statistics Bureau & Statistics Center (Japanese)
- Journal of Asian Studies (English)
- Ling Lung Women's Magazien (English)
- NACSIS-ELS (Japanese)
- Academia Sinica
- Chinese University of Hong Kong
- International Dunhuang Project
- University of Virgina
- University of Virgina / University of Pittsburgh
- OpenSources: Voices from the Open Source Revolution
East Asian Libraries and Organizations in Canada & US
- University of British Columbia ---Asian Library
- University de Montreal --- Centre d'Études de l'Asie de l'Est
- University of Toronto --- Cheng Yu Tung East Asian Library
- Columbia University ---C. V. Starr East Asian Library
- Harvard University ---Harvard-Yenching Library
- Ohio State University --- East Asian Studies Reading Room
- Princeton University --- East Asian Library and the Gest Collection
- Rutgers University --- East Asian Library
- Stanford University --- Hoover Institution
- University of Arizona --- East Asian Collection
- University of California, Berkeley --- East Asian Library
- University of California, Los Angeles --- Richard C. Rudolph East Asian Library
- University of Chicago --- East Asian Collection
- University of Hawaii --- Asian Collection
- University of Illinois --- Asian Library
- University of Iowa --- East Asian Collection
- University of Kansas --- East Asian Library
- University of Michigan --- Asian Library
- University of Minnesota --- East Asian Library
- University of Pittsburgh --- East Asian Library
- Washington University St Louis --- East Asian Library
- University of Washington --- East Asian Library
- Yale University --- East Asian Collection
- Asian Studies Virtual Library
- Asian Studies Association of Australia
- Council on East Asian Libraries
- East Asian Libraries Cooperative WWW
- European Association of Sinological Librarians
- The Library of Congress Asian Reading Room
- The National Bureau of Asian Research