Christopher [dot] Lyons [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-4475 x09847
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Sources for Background Information
- A Bibliography of Books and Pamphlets on Medical Iconography in the Osler Library of the History of Medicine of McGill University
- Editors’ Choices from the Literature, Arts, and Medicine Database : 10 Year Anniversary
- Five Hundred Years of Medicine in Art
- Literature and Medicine: An Annotated Bibliography
- Oxford Reference Online
Searching the Library Catalogue
Search tips for the library catalogue
|Truncation symbol:||?||e.g. medic? will retrieve catalogue records containing the words medicine, medical, medics, etc.|
|Phrase searching:||"___"||e.g. "One Flew over the Cuckoo’s Nest" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest|
|Boolean operators:||(), AND, OR, NOT
|e.g. literature and (physicians or doctors) will retrieve catalogue records containing the word literature and either physicians or doctors|
You can also browse the Catalogue, or the shelves of the Osler Library at the following call numbers (note that there are a few items in the Life Sciences Library as well)
|N to NC||Medicine in the visual arts, architecture, drawing and illustration|
|WM 49||Art and literature as related to psychiatry|
|WZ 330||Medicine as depicted in art and literature|
|WZ 350||Literary and artistic works by physicians and other association items|
Core and additional databases
- Humanities, Arts & Medicine Database
- Literature, Arts and Medicine Database
- UCL Medical Humanities Resource Database
- Art Index
- MLA International Bibliography
- Proquest Dissertations and Theses
- RILM - Répertoire international de littérature musicale
Selected Internet Sites
- Art Annotations A listing of artists and their works related to medical themes, with links to digital images of the described works.
- Film Annotations Films listed by title dealing with aspects of medicine, health and disability.
- Image Collections A listing of sites and databases of visual images related to medicine and medical history maintained by the Osler Library of the History of Medicine, McGill University.
- Literature Annotations Literary works listed by author and title.
- Medical Humanities New York University's list of links to sites about medicine related to the arts and humanities, including journals, databases and societies.
- Recent Dissertations in the Medical Humanities Index of dissertations organised by topics, such as "Art and Medicine" and "Literature/Theatre and Art". Please check Proquest Dissertations and Theses using the link above to look for the full text of items listed here.
- Roster of Physician Writers An annotated list of physicians who have published at least one book of creative writing.
- Global Alliance for Arts & Health A non-profit U.S. organization dedicated to advancing arts as integral to healthcare.