Christopher [dot] Lyons [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-4475 x09847
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
- American Medical Association Deceased Physicians Card File
From the mid 19th century until 1969, the AMA maintained card files containing biographical information on physicians, including their education, state licensing, places of practice, cause of death, and obituary citations. The collection consists of approximately 350,000 biographical entries.
- American National Biography Online About 17,500 deceased notable American men and women from all eras of American history. Includes illustrations and links to other web resources. Search methods include name, occupation, sex, birth date, death date, birthplace, contributor, keyword.
- Australian Medical Pioneers Index A listing of early physicians in Australia with additional information on early medical settlers in Australia.
- Canadian Directories - Who was Where Library and Archives Canada's digitisation of many pre-1901 directories from selected Canadian cities, counties, provinces and territories. Keyword searching is available either within specific directories or across all of them. One can also view and go through the individual directories.
- Canadian Health Obituaries Index File This searchable database contains listings for obituaries and death notices which appeared in almost thirty Canadian medical journals between 1833 and 2000. Does not contain the full text of the obituary, but gives the biographical of where it can be found. For help in locating full text obituary, contact your liaison librarian or the Osler Library.
- Canadian Medical Hall of Fame Includes biographies of physicians and surgeons elected to the Hall of Fame.
- Canadian Necrology Database A unique source of obituary and death information for both prominent and lesser-known Canadians, covering a time span from the late 18th century to 1977.
- Catalog of the Scientific Community: 16th and 17th Centuries Galileo Project, Rice University.
- College of Physicians and Surgeons Obituary Database Columbia Unversity. Augustus C. Long Health Sciences Library.
- CPL Database: College of Physicians of London and Irregular Medical Practioners, 1550-1640 This is a searchable database of practitioners who ran afoul of the the College of Physicians, who tried to impose a monopoly on medical practice in the London area. Entries include information on charges and sentences. This work is a companion to the book Medical Conflicts in Early Modern London: patronage, physicians, and irregular practitioners, 1550-1640.
There are also listings for some members of the College, but this does not replace the more detailed information contained in Munk's Roll (see below).
- Dictionary of Canadian Biography Contains authoritative information on many Canadian scientists and physicians. Also available in print.
- Dictionary of Medical Biography This work has over 1,000 entries on practioners, primarily in the Western medical tradition, but also including those in alternative and traditional Chinese, Indian and Islamic medicine.
- Dictionary of Scientific Biography (Complete) This is the digital version of the entire back-file of the original Dictionary of Scientific Biography. This comprehensive eBook includes the complete text of the 18-volume original (including supplements) plus the New Dictionary of Scientific Biography. Comprising 26-volume eBook.
- Distinguished Women of Past and Present: Health and Medicine Maintained by Danuta Bois as part of the larger site "Distinguished Women of Past and Present".
- Faces of Science: African Americans in the Sciences Profiled here are African American men and women who have contributed to the advancement of science and engineering. Based at Princeton University.
- Indexes to Canadian Newspapers Held By Library and Archives Canada This listing includes many indexes of births and deaths annoucements from newspapers across the country.
- Lovell's Montreal Directory The digitised version of the annual directory for Montreal and the surrounding area covering the years 1842 to 1999. There are name and business directories (e.g. physicians' listings), plus other information.
- Munk's Roll of Members of the Royal College of Physicians This online cumulative index will allow you to look up any of the physicians who have been listed in Munk's Roll. Though more recent online entries include the full biographical data (some of which has yet to appear in print), detailed information on most people will not be available online; however the online Index will tell you in which volume information is recorded. The printed volumes are available in the Osler Library.
- National Academy of Sciences, Biographical Memoirs This is an online version of the print biographies of deceased members, which began publication in 1877 and contains detailed biographies of scientists and medical researchers such as William Henry Welch, Silas Weir Mitchell and Thomas Edison, as well as more recent members.
- Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine Official site of the Nobel Foundation, Sweden, includes list of laureates.
- Nova Scotia - Medical Registers, 1857-1959 Scanned PDFs of the annual Medical Register of the Province of Nova Scotia, hosted by the Kellogg Library of Dalhousie University, Halifax.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography An outstanding resource for biographies of British citizens or people connected to Britain - also available in print.
- Plarr's Lives of the Fellows Online This is the online version of "Lives of the Fellows of the Royal College of Surgeons of England" (Print available at the Osler Library).
- Profiles in Science Information on significant people in twentieth century biomedical research and public health, including detailed biographies and scans of archival material held by the National Library of Medicine. Physicians featured include Charles R. Drew, Francis Crick and Linus Pauling.
- Profiles of Canadian Scientists Produced by Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, includes nearly 40 doctors and medical researchers.
- Royal College of General Practitioners RCGP History, Heritage & Archives. College history, archives, obituaries and tracing your medical ancestors.
- The Royal Society: Online biographies - Sackler Archive Resource The Raymond and Beverly Sackler Archive Resource is a database of biographical information on past Fellows of the Royal Society from 1660 onwards. The Sackler Foundation generously funded the creation of the Resource
- WhoNamedIt Dictionary of medical eponyms. Survey of medical phenomena named for a person, with a biography of that person.
- World Biographical Information Service
- World Biographical Information System Online (WBIS Online) is a very comprehensive biographical database. Based on the digitization of K. G. Saur's Biographical Archives, it compiles biographical articles from printed reference works published from the 16th to the 21st century and provides full text PDFs. Large coverage of centuries and countries.