History of medicine - Organisations and associations
Christopher [dot] Lyons [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email) • 514-398-4475 x09847
- American Association for the History of Medicine The AAHM is North America's oldest continuously functioning scholarly organization devoted to the study of all aspects of the history of the health professions, disease, public health, and related subjects.
- American Association for the History of Nursing. The American Association for the History of Nursing is a professional organization open to everyone interested in the history of nursing.
- American Institute of the History of Pharmacy. The American Institute of the History of Pharmacy is a non-profit national organization devoted to advancing knowledge and understanding of the place of pharmacy in history.
- American Osler Society. The American Osler Society has been founded for the purpose of bringing together members of the medical and allied professions who are, by their common inspiration, dedicated to memorialize and perpetuate the just and charitable life, the intellectual resourcefulness, and the ethical example of William Osler (1849-1919).
- Australian and New Zealand Society of the History of Medicine. This is a learned society dedicated to sharing all aspects of the history of health - including the professions of dentistry, medicine, nursing, pharmacology and health themes within history itself.
- British Society for the History of Science. General information on the history of science.
- Canadian Association for the History of Nursing / Association canadienne pour l'histoire du nursing
- Canadian Society for the History of Medicine / Société canadienne d'histoire de la médecine
- Center for the History of Family Medicine Established by the Association of American Physicians in 1992 to collect and preserve records and archives related to Family Medicine, including professional and personal papers of physicians and educators.
- Cheiron - International Society for the History of the Behavioral and Social Sciences.
- China Institute for History of Medicine and Medical Literature An Institute, established in 1982, under the Academy of Traditional Chinese Medicine.
- Coalition of Canadian Health - Care Museums and Archives The Coalition is an inclusive organisation of institutions such as Museums, Archives, Historic Sites and Interpretative Centres, as well as individuals dedicated to advancing the understanding of health and health care through the history of health care.
- Commission on History of Science & Technology in Islamic Civilization A component of the International Union of the History and Philosophy of Science.
- European Association for the History of Medicine and Health. EAHMH attracts members world-wide, from North America to Australasia, who are demographers, social historians, social anthropologists and medical historians.
- History of Dentistry Research Group. This group is based in Scotland.
- History of Science Society The world's largest society dedicated to understanding science, technology, medicine, and their interactions with society in historical context.
- International Network for the History of Hospitals The Network is supported by the European Association for the History of Health. It exists to promote studies related to the historical evolution of hospitals.
- International Society for the History of Islamic Medicine
- International Society for the History of Pharmacy The society is established to form an international centre for handling all matters of a pharmaceutical historical nature without commercial interests.
- International Union of History and Philosophy of Science. Division of History of Science. The IUHPS is one of 26 scientific unions belonging to the International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU). As the world's leading non-governmental organization in the field of science, ICSU promotes congresses, publications, and other initiatives designed to facilitate international exchanges and understanding.
- Lindsay Society for the History of Dentistry. The Society, based in London, England, publishes the Dental Historian.
- Medical History Society of Nova Scotia
- Society for the Social History of Medicine. This body promotes a multidisciplinary approach to the history of medicine and related fields and produces the journal Social History of Medicine and a series of edited volumes and single author monographs entitled Studies in the Social History of Medicine.
- UK Centre for the History of Nursing and Midwifery The UK Centre was founded in 2000 by partner organisations, the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) and Queen Margaret University College Edinburgh. It is now based at the University of Manchester.
- Wellcome Trust The Wellcome Trust is a major funding source and resource for medical research and history of medicine in Britain.
- UCL Centre for the History of Medicine Formerly the Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine, this academic research and teaching centre for the history of medicine is part of the University College London.