- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Searching the Catalogue by newspaper title
Search the Catalogue for newspaper holdings at McGill, both print and electronic.
Selected current news sources (online)
- Browse online newspapers as if you were browsing their print counterparts.
- National and international newspapers.
- Browse by country.
- ProQuest Newsstand
- 1984 - present for most titles.
- Includes New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, USA Today, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, The Guardian and other national and regional titles.
- Also includes news websites and blogs.
- Canadian Newsstand
- Canadian newspapers.
- Search by date, newspaper, author, keyword.
- Publications available through Canadian Newsstand
- International and Canadian publications.
- Search by date, newspaper, author, keyword, subject.
- Local, international news,legal sources.
- Publications available through Lexis-Nexis.
Formerly Virtual News Library / Biblio-Branchée. Includes Canadian English and French language as well as European French language news.
- Selected titles include:
- The Canadian NewsWire
- The Canadian Press
- La Presse (PDF search available)
- Le Devoir (PDF search available)
- Le Soleil (PDF search available)
- Le Droit (PDF search available)
- Le Monde (France)
- Alt-Press Watch (ProQuest)
- 1970 - present.
- Unique, independent voices from respected and cited grassroots newspapers, magazines, and journals. The database features over 670,000 articles from more than 210 publications.
- Alternative Press Index (EBSCO)
- 1991 - present.
- Journal, newspaper, and magazine articles from over 300 international alternative, radical, and left periodicals.
- ISI Emerging Market Information Service (EMIS)
"delivers news, company and financial data direct from more than 70 emerging markets in Asia, Latin America, Central and Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Africa." On landing page, click on "Access now".
EMIS Quick User Guide
- FBIS: Foreign Broadcast Information Service Electronic Index
Selected historical news sources (online)
- 17th-18th century Burney Collection newspapers
British Library’s collection of the newspapers, pamphlets, and books gathered by Reverend Charles Burney (1757-1817).
- Atlanta Constitution (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
- Boston Globe (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
- Chicago Defender (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
- Chicago Tribune (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
- Christian Science Monitor (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
- Chronicling America Historic American Newspapers
Contains digitized newspapers from 1836-1922 and the U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present.
- Compact Memory: Internetarchiv Judischer Periodika
A virtual archive of 118 Jewish historical magazines and newspapers in German speaking countries from 1806 until 1938 when these were banned by the Nazis.
- Early American Newspapers, Series I, 1690-1876
Historic newspapers listed in Clarence Brigham's History and bibliography of American newspapers McLennan Reference Z6951 B86.
- Financial Times Historical Archive
- Gale NewsVault
Extensive collection of historical newspapers. Over 400 years of content to be explored. Search the full text of over 10 million page images.
- Globe and Mail (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
- Google News Archive Search
Provides searchable archives of many Papers of Record. Users can search these digitized newspapers, however in 2011 Google stopped adding to the database.
- Hartford Courant (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
- Historical Jewish Press
A collection of Jewish newspapers published in various countries, languages, and time periods.
- Los Angeles Times (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
Searchable historical American newspapers 1690-1922 (Archive of Americana) and Foreign Broadcast Information Service (FBIS) Daily Reports 1975-1996.
- New York Times (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
- Paper of Record
Searchable archive of historical newspapers from Europe, Australia, and the Americas. Coverage varies, from the mid-1800s to 2000s.
- The Times Digital Archive (U.K.)
- Toronto Star (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
- Wall Street Journal (Proquest Historical Newspapers)
- Washington Post (Proquest Historical Newspapers)