- USA.gov - The U.S. Government's Official Web Portal
- United States Government Manual - Annual handbook of the federal government (1935 to present).
- The Oxford Guide to the United States Government
Executive Branch Information
- White House Website
- Executive Branch Websites
- Public Papers of the Presidents of the United States (PPPUS) - Text of presidential speeches and statements (1929-).
- Weekly Compilation of Presidential Documents - Papers released since the most recent edition of PPPUS.
- House of Representatives Website
- Senate Website
- Debates - What was said in Congress.
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress - Biographies of members of Congress from 1774 to the present.
- U.S. Code - Consolidated legislation, organized by subject.
- Statutes at Large - Annual collection of all laws passed during a given session, from 1789 to the present. Contains treaties prior to 1945.
- Public and Private Laws - Text of laws are added here as they are enacted (1995-). Good source for laws not yet integrated into the U.S. Code or Statutes at Large.
- Code of Federal Regulations - Consolidation of regulations, organized by subject.
- Data and Statistics - Business, trade, and economic statistics.
- Fedstats - Portal for locating statistics from over 100 federal agencies.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States - Yearly publication covering a wide range of current and recent statistics (1878-). Recommended as a starting point.
- Historical Statistics of the United States - Contains data from colonial times through the twentieth century.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics - Gateway to labour and economic statistics.
- American Community Survey - Replaces the long form of the decennial census, providing population figures on a more frequent basis.
- Using the American Community Survey: Benefits and Challenges - Useful descriptive guide to ACS data.
Indexes and Full Text Documents
- U.S. Congressional Serial Set - Reports and documents submitted to Congress from 1817-1980. Collection to be completed in 2009..
- Catalogue of U.S. Government Publications - U.S. federal publications since 1976, with links to online content.
- LexisNexis Congressional - Full text of several congressional publications. Coverage years vary.
- HeinOnline - Archives several government publications, mostly legal in nature.
- Thomas - Full text congressional documents from the late 1980s to the present.
- A Century of Lawmaking for a New Nation - Congressional documents and debates from 1774-1875.
- Primary Documents in American History (Library of Congress) - Access to pivotal government documents from 1763-1877.
- Digital National Security Archive - Declassified intelligence documents.
- Google U.S. Government Search
- Economic Report of the President - Annual report on the state of the U.S. economy, with useful statistical tables. Includes all reports back to 1947.
- RAND Documents and Reports - Publications of the RAND Corporation, sometimes commissioned by the government.
- Finding U.S. Congressional Reports/Documents/Hearings in the McGill University
- Foreign Relations of the United States series at McGill University
- Federal Legislative History - Comprehensive guide to researching the legislative history of a bill.