Access to Statistics Canada microdata and metadata
With the advent of the DLI, participating post secondary institutions pay an annual subscription fee that allows their faculty and students unlimited access to numerous Statistics Canada public use microdata files, databases and geographic files. Academic researchers now have affordable and equitable access to the most current statistics and other data, which gives them powerful tools to use in their analysis of Canadian society.
Access to DLI data at McGill:
Researchers and students needing DLI data should contact: 514-398-3702.
- What is the Research Data Centre Program?
The Research Data Centres (RDC) program provides secure settings to permit researchers access to population and household data-sets from Statistics Canada, which would otherwise be unavailable due to privacy considerations. Click here for a list of currently available data-sets.
- Research Data Centres in Quebec
The QICSS provides Quebec researchers with access to detailed micro-data from Statistics Canada and Institut de la statistique du Québec surveys; it also provides the infrastructure needed to exploit these data – a workplace, equipment, and technical and professional resources. Click here for more details.
- The McGill-Concordia Laboratory of the Quebec Inter-University Centre for Social Statistics (QICSS).
For further information, contact Genvieve Brunet, 514-398-4523.
- Search - General search of the StatCan site (including The Daily, CANSIM, Catalogue, Trade Exports and Trade Imports, Research papers)
- The Daily - Highlights of newly released data, schedules for major releases and announcements of new products and services.
Government of Canada publications- Publications by subject across all areas of government.