HIST 458 and 640: What is this Thing Called Disease?
Note: Items marked McGill only are only accessible from computers on the McGill campus network or remotely via EZproxy or VPN. To find out how to access these resources, go to Accessing online resources.
- Dictionary of Medical Biography McGill only Biographies of over 1,000 doctors and practitioners.
- Biographical Books *In-library use only. 40,000 biographies and autobiographies arranged alphabetically by name. See the vocation index to locate physicians.
- Biographical sources in history of medicine subject guide.
- Dorland's Illustrated Medical Dictionary McGill only Source for information about medical terminology.
- Oxford Reference Online McGill only Searches multiple reference books. Useful for definitions and brief information about terms and people in medical history. You can narrow down a search by specific subject area.
- Cambridge Historical Dictionary of Disease McGill only Detailed entries for 161 diseases, describing both their histories and characteristics.
General history of medicine
- Companion Encyclopedia of the History of Medicine *In-library use only.
- A Dictionary of the History of Medicine *In-library use only.
- The Cambridge World History of Human Disease *In-library use only.
Article indexes and databases
Specific to history of medicine
- History of Science, Technology and Medicine (HSTM) McGill only Journal articles, conference proceedings, books, book reviews, and dissertations in the history of medicine and allied fields, science and technology.
- Subject Catalogue of the History of Medicine and Related Subjects Published by the Wellcome Library and includes items published between 1900-1978. Good to find earlier articles that may not be in HSTM.
- LocatorPlus Online catalogue of the U.S. National Library of Medicine, one of the most important collections of historical material and writings about the history of medicine. Contains records of books and some book chapters and articles.
General history and social sciences
- America: History and Life McGill only Journal articles, book reviews, and some dissertations on Canadian and US history. Broad subject coverage includes medical topics.
- Historical Abstracts McGill only Journal articles, book reviews and some dissertations on world history from 1450 (particularly the West). Note: Excludes Canada and the United States.
- Academic Search Complete McGill only Multidisiplinary database of scholarly articles, includes a broad range of topics on history and sociology, including medical sociology.
- Sociological Abstracts McGill only Specialized database in sociology and the social and behavioral sciences from 1952.
Article indexes - medicine
- EMBASE McGill only Major database of biomedical research with a lot of international, particularly European, content. Some overlap with MEDLINE. Contains articles dating to 1947.
- IndexCat (Index-Catalogue of the Library of the Surgeon-General's Office) Both a catalogue and an index, with records for journal articles, books, pamphlets, reports, dissertations and portraits. A great source for locating primary resources. References are multilingual and cover medicine and allied areas. Coverage is through 1950. (Note: for a comparison of coverage between IndexCat and Index Medicus, see the NLM explanatory page.)
- MEDLINE McGill only Major bibliographic index of journal articles in medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, and the pre-clinical sciences. Limit results to only "History of Medicine" by clicking on "More Limits"
Newspapers and magazines
- Google News Archive of newspapers and periodicals going back aproximately 200 years, including the "Montreal Gazette." (Note: Not all content is freely viewable.)
- Newspapers List of online historical and contemporary newspapers and newspaper/magazine databases available at McGill.
- Readers' Guide Retrospective McGill only Online version of The Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature, an index to U.S. popular periodicals. Contains material from 1890 to 1982.
Other article databases
- Web of Knowledge McGill only General academic database. Science citations go back to 1900, making this a source for finding historical, primary material.
- JAMA: The Journal of the American Medical Association, McGill only 1883-present. Major North American medical journal. *Full text
- The Lancet, McGill only 1823-present. Major British medical journal. *Full text
- PubMed Central has digitised a number of nineteenth and twentieth century medical journals, including The British Medical Journal and Journal of the Royal Medical Society. *Full text
- Government information from Canada, Quebec, other provincial governments, the UK, the US, the European, and some intergovernmental organizations dating back centuries available at McGill. Much is available online.
Other Useful Information
- How to write annotated bibliographies From Memorial University Libraries
- Writing an annotated bibliography From Guelph University. See esp. the useful tips on evaluating sources while reading.
- How to prepare an annotated bibliography Cornell University Library guide.
- Is it scholarly? Tips for critically evaluating your information resources From the University of Illinois library