- Africa and the Americas: culture, politics, and history: a multidisciplinary encyclopedia
- Cultural geography: a critical dictionary of key concepts
- Encyclopedia of Africa
- Ethnic groups of Africa and the Middle East: an encyclopedia
- Encyclopedia of African history
- Encyclopedia of African religion
- Encyclopedia of food and culture
- Encyclopedia of the modern Middle East & North Africa
- Handbook of cultural geography
- International encyclopedia of human geography
- The Oxford encyclopedia of African thought
Newspaper article databases for current events
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management - Covers topics on ecology, water pollution, water resource issues.
- Africa-Wide Information - Multidisciplinary database covering all aspects of Africa and African Studies.
- CAB Abstracts - Covers research and development literature in the fields of agriculture, forestry, health, natural resources management and tourism.
- GEOBASE - Covers topics on human and physical geography, ecology, geology, oceanography, geomechanics, and development studies.
- GeoRef - Database for geoscience literature, including topics on soils, hydrology, geomorphology, maps, etc.
- GreenFILE - Focuses on human impact on the environment. Topics covered include green issues, global climate change, green building, pollution, sustainable agriculture, renewable energy, recycling, and more.
- GREENR - Devoted to the study of sustainability and the environment and provides access to academic articles, news articles, background information, video, primary source documents and statistics.
- OECD iLibrary - Online library of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. OECD publications cover economic, environmental, and social issues including trade, education, labour, social policy, health, finance, development, energy, sustainability, and science and innovation.
- Scopus - A full-text science and social sciences database that is capable of backward and forward citation linking and includes citation counts.
- Web of Science - A multidisciplinary index to the journal literature of the Social Sciences, Arts & Humanities, and the Sciences. Allows for cited reference searching to find articles that cite a previously published work.
This is a multidisciplinary course. Articles on topics that are covered in this class can be found in many journals. Below are some sample journals:
- American journal of agricultural economics
- Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies
- Eastern Africa journal of rural development
- Food Security
- Feminist Africa
- Journal of Eastern African Studies
- Mountain Research and Development (open access)
- Agriculture and Human Values
- Gender, Place and Culture: A Journal of Feminist Geography
- Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics
- Journal of Southern African Studies
- Journal of Women and Aging
- Social Forces
Sources for grey literature
Non-academic or "in-house" literature outside of traditional publishing - government documents, urban plans, reports, working papers, etc. If the source is a Google Custom Search, use the Google search tips here: google_tips_handout.pdf. If the source is a website, look for a "Publications", "Documents", "Research", or "Data" section.
- IGO Search
Google Custom Search of websites of over 3000 IGOs for reports and other publications. Maintained by the Union of International Associations (UIA).
- NGO Search
Custom Google Search of websites of IGO websites for reports and other publications.
- Poverty Reduction and Equity: World Bank
- World Resources Institute
- The Constitution of Kenya
Writing and citing resources
Citation style guides
- Writing with style: APA style made easy
- An easy guide to APA style
- Purdue OWL: APA Formatting and Style Guide (free online resource)