- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Sources for background information
Dictionaries and encyclopedias
- Encyclopedia of ecology and environmental management
- International Encyclopedia of Human Geography
- The Oxford Companion to Global Change
- Dictionary of ecology
- Dictionary of environment and conservation
- Dictionary of geography
- Dictionary of physical geography
Journal article databases: find peer-reviewed articles on your topic
- GEOBASE (physical and human geography)
- GeoRef (geosciences)
- GreenFILE (focuses on human impact on the environment)
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management Database (environmental sciences)
- Scopus (multidisciplinary, with excellent coverage of the environmental sciences)
- PAIS International (political, social, and public policy issues)
- Web of Knowledge (multidisciplinary, with excellent coverage of the environmental sciences)
Most of the Library's licensed online resources, such as databases, full-text online journals, and e-books, are restricted to McGill students, faculty, staff and other authorized users of the McGill Library. Find out about accessing the Library's online resources from on and off campus.
Newspaper article databases: search for news articles on your topic
- ProQuest Newsstand
- 1984 - present for most titles.
- Includes New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, USA Today, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, The Guardian and other national and regional titles.
- Also includes news websites and blogs.
- Canadian Newsstand
- Canadian newspapers.
- Search by date, newspaper, author, keyword.
- Publications available through Canadian Newsstand
Grey Literature sources
Grey literature is information produced outside of traditional publishing--government documents, policy documents, reports, working papers, urban plans, etc. This information is often produced by organizations "on the ground" (such as NGOs and IGOs) where dissemination of information and reporting on activities is the goal before publishing an academic article or book. If the source is a Google Custom Search, use the Google search tips document here: google_tips_handout.pdf.
- Carleton University's Find Canadian Government Publications on the Web
Google Custom Search that searches across Canadian government websites with the option to limit to federal, provincial, or municipal information.
- Canadian electronic library: Canadian public policy collection
Publications from Canadian public policy institutes, government agencies, advocacy groups, think-tanks, university research centres and public interest groups.
- IGO Search
Google Custom Search of websites of over 3000 IGOs for reports and other publications. Maintained by the Union of International Associations (UIA).
- NGO Search
Custom Google Search of websites of NGO websites for reports and other publications
- Google Scholar
Searches scholarly literature across disciplines and sources and includes some grey literature.
- McGill Library Subject Guide for Theses and Dissertations
Lists sources for locating theses and dissertations from McGill and beyond.
- McGill Library Subject Guide for Conference Papers
Lists sources for locating conference papers and presentations. Conference papers and presentations report research in-progress.
Searching the library catalogue
|Truncation symbol:||*||e.g. sustain* will retrieve catalogue records containing the words sustain, sustainable, sustainability, etc.|
|Phrase searching:||"___"||e.g. "Fishery management" will retrieve catalogue records containing the phrase fishery management|
|Boolean operators:||(), AND, OR, NOT
|e.g. fisheries AND (ecology OR environment) will retrieve catalogue records containing the word fisheries AND either ecology OR environment|
Writing and referencing your research paper
Consult these resources for tips on how to write a research paper. Click on the call number to find out the McGill Library where the book is located.
|Introduction to scientific geographic research||G73 H36 1992|
|An introduction to scientific research methods in geography||G73 M58 2006|
|How to do your essays, exams & coursework: in geography and related disciplines||e-book|
|Making sense : a student’s guide to research and writing : geography & environmental sciences||G70 N67 2007|
|The Little, Brown essential handbook||PE1112 A27 2008|
|The Little, Brown handbook||PE1112 F685 2008|
|Writing research papers : a complete guide||LB2369 L4 2005|
- For assistance with writing book a tutorial at The McGill Writing Centre. These tutorials are for students of all levels. Students are permitted to five tutorials per term.
Endnote and Refworks
- All McGill students have access to Endnote and Refworks for free.
- The Library offers workshops every week on how to use this citation management software.