Tara [dot] Mawhinney [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-4764
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
On this page
- Library workshop documentation
- Office hours
- Useful reference sources
- Finding books
- Finding journal articles
- Obtaining materials that are not available at McGill
- Writing and referencing your paper
- Library resources for CIVE 432
(slides from in-class presentation on Nov. 13, 2014)
- Researching and Citing for your Technical Paper
(workshop slides from May 27, 2014)
- "Researching and Citing for your Technical Paper" Research Toolkit (handout)
- Guide to Using EndNote (handout)
- Checklist for Reading and Thinking Critically about Research Articles (handout)
Office hours are held in Room 206 on the main floor of Schulich Library. Please tara [dot] mawhinney [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email me) to make other arrangements if you are not available at the following time:
- Tuesdays, 11-12pm for the fall 2014 semester
|Civil engineer's reference book||eBook|
|Dictionary of civil engineering English-French||eBook|
|Eshbach's handbook of engineering fundamentals||eBook|
|Van Nostrand's scientific encyclopedia||eBook|
|Dictionary of environmental science and engineering|
|Environmental engineers' handbook||eBook|
|Sustainable development for engineers: a handbook and resource guide||eBook|
|Geotechnical earthquake engineering||eBook|
|Geotechnical engineering investigation handbook|
Hydraulic and water resources engineering
|Dictionary of water and waste management, second edition||eBook | Print|
|Encyclopedia of hydrological sciences||eBook|
|Handbook of water and wastewater treatment technologies||eBook|
|Structural engineering handbook|
|Handbook of construction tolerances||eBook|
|Handbook of transport systems and traffic control|
|Handbook of transportation engineering|
Suggested subjects to search in the library catalogue:
You can replicate these results by going to the Advanced Search and typing words into the Subject field.
To refine any of these searches, type additional words into your search.
Useful databases for finding journal articles:
- Compendex – for all aspects of engineering
- Web of Science – multidisciplinary
- Scopus – multidisciplinary
- Environmental Sciences and Pollution Management – includes environmental engineering, energy resources, waste management, and water resource issues
- Applied Science and Technology Full Text – intended for undergraduate students
- Environmental Engineering Abstracts – covers technological and engineering aspects of air and water quality, environmental safety, and energy production
- Transport – covers transportation research information on all surface transportation modes, air transport, and highway safety
- Water Resources Abstracts – covers the world's literature of water-related topics including the characteristics, conservation, control, pollution, treatment, use and management of water resources
How to find articles using keyword searching in databases:
Sample search: biodiesel fuel AND energy source in Scopus
Ways to decrease results
Search words as a phrase
e.g. "biodiesel fuel" AND "energy source"
Combine additional terms with AND to generate fewer results
e.g. "biodiesel fuel" AND "energy source" AND soybean
Select one of the database's limit types
e.g. publication type, language, publication date
Search for words only in a particular field
e.g. biodiesel AND energy in article title only
Ways to increase results
Search using fewer terms
e.g. biodiesel AND energy
Use truncation to allow the terms to end in various ways
e.g. biodiesel AND soybean*
Use synonyms or similar concepts, combining them with OR to generate more results
e.g. (biodiesel OR biofuel) AND (energy OR heating)
Get new ideas for search terms
Use descriptors in the database if they are available (also called subjects, controlled vocabulary or controlled terms)
McGill students and staff may order articles and books not available at McGill using COLOMBO (interlibrary loan).
There are no charges for ordering through COLOMBO; McGill subsidizes these services.
Please do not wait until it is too late for us to help you with COLOMBO.
Consult these resources for tips on how to write a research paper. Click on the call number to find out where the book is located.
|Publication manual of the American Psychological Association|
|The Elements of style||eBook | Print|
|The Little, Brown essential handbook|
|The Little, Brown handbook|
Making sense: a student's guide to research and writing : engineering and the technical sciences
|Pocket book of technical writing for engineers and scientists|
|Style and ethics of communication in science and engineering||eBook|
|Writing research papers: a complete guide|
- You can download EndNote citation management software for free. With this software you can get references directly from many databases, such as Web of Science.
- EndNote can automate the formatting of your references in APA 6th style. A guide to APA can be found here.
- There are library workshops given on how to use this software effectively.
- EndNote Web is also available at McGill University. To access EndNote Web you need to create a personal account. You may sign up for an account with your McGill email address at www.myendnoteweb.com.