Giovanna [dot] Badia [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-7340
April [dot] Colosimo [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-4765
Tara [dot] Mawhinney [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-4764
Jennifer [dot] Zhao [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)• 514-398-1273
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
On this page
- Research toolkit
- Finding journal articles
- Obtaining materials that are not available at McGill
- Finding background information
- Reading journal articles efficiently
- Writing tools
- Writing business plans
- EndNote citation software
Download the Research Toolkit in one of these formats:
- As a PDF form ccom206_research_toolkit_form_fall_2014.pdf
- As a PDF ccom206_research_toolkit_fall_2014.pdf
- As an MS Word document ccom206_research_toolkit_fall_2014.docx
Watch this short video and fill in Step 1 and Step 2 of the Research Toolkit before attending the in-class lecture from the librarian.
YouTube video link (.mp4)
Finding journal articles
comprehensive database providing references to journal articles and conference papers on all aspects of engineering
- Google Scholar
includes non-academic and non-peer-reviewed sources; you need to examine each search result to determine if it points to an appropriate academic source for your term paper
- IEEE Xplore
provides full text journal articles, conference papers, online sources, standards and e-books in electrical and computer sciences, engineering, and related disciplines
Guides: Basic searching (video), Working with results (video), Getting started (PDF)
multidisciplinary database that provides references to journal articles and conference papers, as well as information (back to 1996) about how many times an article has been cited and who cited it; also contains references found in Compendex and Medline/PubMed
Guide: Review of Scopus Search Tips (PDF)
- Web of Science
multidisciplinary database that provides references to journal articles and conference papers, as well as contains information about how many times an article has been cited and who cited it
These databases are a selection of what is available to you. Need more? See subject guides for additional databases to search on your topic.
Find out about accessing the Library's online resources from on and off campus.
McGill students and staff may order articles and books not available at McGill using COLOMBO. Please do not wait until it is too late for us to help you with COLOMBO.
A general overview or summary of a topic can help you obtain a deeper understanding of your subject. Books are one source of topic overviews. Search the library catalogue to find books on your topic, whether in print or electronic format.
You can also search electronic book collections for topic overviews. Any of the following e-book collections will allow you to search for your topic within the chapters of hundreds of engineering textbooks and download relevant content:
- CRC ENGnetBASE
- IEEE Xplore
Guide: Browsing books in IEEE Xplore (video)
Guide: Knovel's Basic Search (video)
- Wiley Online Library
- Checklist for Reading & Thinking Critically about Research Articles (handout)
- How to Read a Scientific Paper (Quick tutorial from Purdue University)
- Anatomy of a Scholarly Article (NCSU Libraries)
- Citation guides:
- Annotated Bibliographies (Purdue University)
- Routes of Writing (McGill University)
- For help on how to write a business plan, see the Business Plans Handbook for sample plans (select 'Business' and then 'Business Plans Handbook' to access this resource).
- Visit the Business plans subject guide for a list of other useful resources on business plans.
- You can download EndNote citation management software for free. With this software you can get references directly from many databases, such as Web of Science.
- EndNote Web is available at McGill University. To access EndNote Web you need to create a personal account. You may sign up for an account with your McGill email address.
- There are library workshops given on how to use this software effectively.
- A Guide to Using EndNote (handout)