mary.yearl [at] mcgill.ca (Email)• 514-398-4475 x09847
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Reference sources (Encyclopedias/ Dictionaries/ Exhibitions)
- Dictionary of Medical Biography This work has over 1,000 entries of practioners, primarily in the western medical tradition, but also including those in alternative and traditional Chinese, Indian and Islamic medicine.
- History of Medicine Biographical Sources A list of online biographical reference sources maintained by the Osler Library of the History of Medicine.
- Image Collections A list of online collections and databases of historical medical illustrations by the Osler Library of the History of Medicine.
- Oxford Reference Online This source searches multiple reference books, providing definitions and brief information for terms and people in medicine, history, art and science, amongst other subject areas. This resource can be searched in total or by specific subject areas.
- Rifkin, Benjamin A. Human Anatomy: Depicting the Body from the Renaissance to Today. London: Thames & Hudson, 2006. Osler NC 760 R564h 2006
- Roberts, K.B and J.D.W. Tomlinson. The Fabric of the Body: European Traditions of Anatomical Illustrations. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1992. Osler folio WZ 348 R645t 1992
- Thornton, John Leonard and Carole Reeves. Medical Book Illustration: a Short History. New York: Oleander, 1983. Osler folio N 8223 T513m 1983
Article Indexes and Databases and Full Text Primary Sources
History of Medicine
- History of Science, Technology and Medicine (HSTM) The HSTM database, from the Research Libraries Group, provides access to journal articles, conference proceedings, books, book reviews, and dissertations in the history of medicine and allied fields, science and technology.
- America: History and Life This contains references to journal articles, book reviews and some dissertations about Canadian and United States history from the earliest times. Its subject coverage is broad and includes medical topics.
- Historical Abstracts This contains references to journal articles, book reviews and some dissertations about the history of all parts of the world from 1450, EXCLUDING Canada and the United States. Its subject coverage is broad and includes medical topics.
- JSTOR is a restrospective database containing the full text of over 500 scholarly journals going back to the first volume in a variety of fields, (although the most recent 3 to 5 years are usually not included). One can search the full range of journals, or a specific thematic subset, such as Art and Art History, History, History of Science and Technology, Language and Literature and various sciences. Click here to see a list of journals by subject category. Given the age of JSTOR's content, it is a useful resource for finding both primary and secondary material. Searches can be done on the full text of articles, thus uncovering otherwise elusive material.
Full Text French Medical Material
- Bibliothèque Interuniversitaire de Médecine, Paris Links to a number of history of medicine and dentistry resources. There is also a listing of digitized historical works arranged by subject.
McGill University's WorldCat Catalogue contains information on almost all of the printed holdings in the various branches of the McGill Library and elsewhere, as well as articles and other material.
Suggestions for browsing at the Osler Library: look in N to NC: Art section; there are some works here on medical book illustration (N 8223) and artistic anatomy (NC 760); QS: Anatomy; some works analyze representation; TR 600 to 780: Photography, including medical illustration; WZ 17: History of Medicine: Atlases, Historical Works and WZ 348: History of Medicine: Medical Illustration (general). Check both the regular shelves and Folio ones. Works on representation are also classified within other specific subject categories, such as Biography (WZ 100) or Pathology (QZ).
Information and suggested resources in art history can be found on the Art, Architecture, Urban Planning subject guides.
Other Useful Information
- Contact Chris Lyons, the liaison librarian for this course (see box in upper right corner)
- Contact a librarian using online chat and other services.
- Accessing online resources
- Branch libraries' locations and hours
- Information on Interlibrary Loans for McGill users