ARTH 207 Introduction Early Modern Art 1400-1600
Jennifer [dot] Garland [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email) • 514-398-4785
- McGill users only
- Open access resource
- Free resource
- In-library-use only
- Catalogue record
Guides and Handbooks
- 17th and 18th Century Art
N6415 B3 H4
- Art and Architecture in Italy 1600-1750
N6916 W5 1965
- Guide to Artistic Italy
N6911 D5613 1981 (Ref)
- Guide to Baroque Rome
NA1120 B55 1982 (Ref)
- Renaissance Artists & Antique Sculpture: A Handbook of Sources
NB85 B6 1986 (Ref)
Encyclopaedias and Dictionaries
- Dictionary of the Renaissance
CB361 S45 (Ref)
- Baroque Art: A Topical Dictionary
N6415 B3 E18 1996 (Ref)
- Renaissance Art: A Topical Dictionary
N6370 E27 1987 (Ref)
- Oxford Art Online
folio N31 A77 2002 (Ref) v. 1-6
- A Concise Encyclopaedia of the Italian Renaissance
DG445 C66 (Ref)
- Encyclopaedia of the Renaissance
CB361 B43 1987 (Ref)
- Encyclopaedia of World Art
N31 E533 (Ref)
- Larousse Encyclopaedia of Renaissance & Baroque Art
N6350 H813 (Ref)
- New Century Italian Renaissance Encyclopaedia
DG537.8 A1 N48 (Ref)
Finding Books and More in the Library Catalogue: Helpful Tips
To search an exact phrase...use Quotes
To search a particular artist, search under subject and use the last name first, followed by the first name (if known) or the first letter of the first name
Perugino or Buonarotti, Michelangelo
To narrow your search...use AND
renaissance and sculpture
To exclude certain words from your search...use NOT
(renaissance and art) not literature
To use various terms for similar concepts...use OR
(italian or roman) and renaissance
To search the root of a word...use ?
art? will retrieve
Search with LC Subject Headings
Try entering these subject headings in the library catalogue to help you get started!
Select "Subject begins with..." in the 'Choose type of search' box, and then try the following headings:
Art, Renaissance -- Italy
Art, Renaissance -- France
Art, Renaissance -- Germany
Artists -- Italy
Mural painting and decoration, Renaissance
Finding Journal Articles
Search first in these Art History databases. You may also wish to search these specialized databases:
- ITER: Gateway to the Middle Ages and Renaissance
- Art and Archaeology Technical Abstracts (AATA)
AATA Online is a comprehensive database of more than 100,000 abstracts of literature related to the preservation and conservation of material cultural heritage.
Selected Internet Sites
- Art History Resources on the Web
Over 7000 links to art history sites from all over the world and from all time periods. Additional links to museums & galleries, research guides, image resources, and online journals.
An internet portal for research and teaching in the history of art. Provides printed and electonic publications as well as image databases.
- AskArt: American Artists on the Internet
Produced by AskART, a team of art dealers, historians, and archivists. Provides access to auction records, image galleries, artists' bibliographies, and information on museum holdings and dealers.
- Dictionary of Art Historians
A scholarly database offering biographical and methodological information of major art historians of western art history.
- International Research Portal for Records Related to Nazi-Era Cultural Property
The Portal is a collaboration of national and other archival institutions with records that pertain to Nazi-Era cultural property.
- Smithsonian Institution Research Information Systems
Specialized art databases containing bibliographic records and selective images from the Smithsonian Institution.
- Timeline of Art History, Metropolitan Museum of Art
The Timeline of Art History is a chronological, geographical, and thematic exploration of the history of art from around the world, as illustrated by the Metropolitan Museum of Art's collection. Provides theme specific searches, as well as general browsing.
- Voice of the Shuttle
The VoS mission has been to provide a structured and briefly annotated guide to online resources in the humanities disciplines and at the same time reflect the transformation of those disciplines as they interact with the sciences and social sciences and with new digital media. Related categories include: Art (Modern and Contemporary), Art History, and Archaeology.
- Web Gallery of Art
The Web Gallery of Art is a virtual museum and searchable database of European painting and sculpture of the Romanesque, Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, Neoclassicism, Romanticism periods (1000-1850).
Biographical Dictionaries and Biographical Information
- Allgemeines Künstlerlexikon / Artists of the World (includes Thieme-Becker Künstler-Lexikon)
A biographical dictionary of artists. Includes, as nearly as possible, all known painters, sculptors, engravers, architects, and decorative artists.
- Artist Biographies Master Index
N40 A78 1986 (Ref)
- Benezit. Dictionnaire des peintres, sculpteurs, dessinateurs et graveurs
N40 B47 1976 (Ref)
- Havlice. Index to Artistic Biography
N40 H38 (Ref)
- Lives of the Painters, Sculptors, and Architects
N6922 V4813 1963 (Ref)
- Michelangelo: Selected Scholarship in English Life and Early Works
N6923 B9M553 1995 (Ref)
- Central Italian Painting, 1400 -- 1465: an annotated bibliography
Z5961 I8D86 1986 (Ref)
- Iconographic research in English Renaissance Literature...
Z2012 S56 1995 (McL Ref)
- Italian Printmaking, 15th & 16th Centuries: An Annotated Bibliography
Z5947.3 I8K57 1987 (Ref)
- The Baroque Ceiling Paintings in the Churches of Rome: 1600-1750
Z5948 M85 E53 (Ref)
- Genre in the Age of the Baroque: A Resource Guide
Z5918 G45 W56 1991 (Ref)