Quick Links

International Fee Exemptions

In accordance with the regulations prescribed by the Quebec Ministry of Education (Ministère de l'Enseignement supérieur, de la Recherche et de la Science, i.e. MESRS), there are eight categories of exemption from international tuition fees. A complete list of the guidelines and regulations can be found on the MESRS website in the document Politique Relative aux Droits de Scolarité Exigés des Étudiants Étrangers par les Universités du Québec. The deadline for the submission of claims is the last day of classes in each term. Claims will only be considered for the semester in which the complete documentation is received.

For further information on tuition and fees, please visit the Student Accounts website.

The following are the eight categories for International students wishing to qualify for a fee exemption and the supporting documents they must provide.


  1. Citizens of France
  2. Citizens of certain countries
  3. Diplomatic, consular or other representatives
  4. Convention refugees
  5. Enrolled in certain French language courses
  6. CSQ Exemptions
  7. Spouse or dependent of an individual with a temporary work permit
  8. International non-governmental organization
  9. Fonds de la recherche en santé du Québec

1. Citizens of France

An existing bilateral agreement between the French and Quebec governments allows French citizens registered in a degree program to pay the Quebec rate of tuition.
Documents required: Valid French passport or French National Identity Card, study permit issued by Immigration Canada, and Certificat d'Acceptation du Québec (CAQ) issued by Immigration Quebec.

Students with dual nationality: French and other (except Canadian): please ensure that both valid passports are submitted along with the required documentation. If this is not the case, McGill is not permitted to exempt you from international tuition supplements.

Dual French and Canadian citizens coming to McGill as international students, i.e. your place of study immediately prior your first semester at McGill was not in Canada, qualify for this exemption.  N.B. You will be required to submit proof that you were not living in Canada for at least the 12 months previous to your first semester at McGill.
Documents required: Proof of Canadian citizenship and either a Valid French passport or French National Identity Card

2. Citizens of those countries which have signed an agreement with MESRS

A complete list of the treaty countries involved can be downloaded from the MESRS website. Students interested in this option should contact their consular authorities to make an application.
Documents required: The University will receive a list of the exempted students directly from the MELS during the applicable semester. Please also see pages 5 and 6 of the Politique.

3. Students admitted to Canada under section 7(1)(a) of the Immigration Act - diplomatic, consular and other representatives of foreign countries, the UN and other international agencies, their dependents and entourage

Students are exempt from international tuition by holding diplomatic status or by being dependents of those holding such status, and who hold one or more of the following:
Documents required: Canada Identity Card (both sides) issued by the Canadian Federal Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade, diplomatic passport or visa, and "Le Protocole" letter from the Québec Government.
From the Winter 2000 session, the only document accepted will be a signed original attestation carrying the seal of the Protocole du gouvernement du Québec. McGill is required to retain the original document, so please be sure to make copies for your records; see pages 4 and 14 of the Politique for an example of this attestation. Please note that proof of kinship is required for all students who are dependants of those holding diplomatic status. Students must also submit a copy of the serving diplomat's or consular official's diplomatic visa.

4. Students whose status as a convention refugee has been accepted by the Canadian Government

Documents required: A valid study permit issued by Immigration Canada and a letter from the Immigration and Refugee Board (Convention Refugee Determination Division) confirming final acceptance as a Convention Refugee, and a letter from Immigration Canada attesting that the student is awaiting permanent residency status, and a valid Certificat de Sélection du Québec (CSQ) issued by Immigration Quebec. See the Politique, pages 6 and 7. Note: Those refugees who do not have a CSQ are required to obtain a CAQ (Certificat d'acceptation du Québec).

5. Tuition reduction eligibility requirements for certain French course(s): (Based on your legal status in Canada)

International students enrolled in certain Bachelor's, Masters or Doctorate programs AND who are registered in an eligible French course(s) (Summer_2014.pdf, Fall 2014.pdf, Winter 2015.pdf) are eligible for an exemption from the international tuition supplements for eligible French course(s). No documents are required for students to claim the exemption as the fee system will automatically calculate the credit and reflect the accurate assessment in your fee account.
** Please check the class schedule in Minerva to ensure courses on the list of eligible courses are open for registration in Fall 2013 or Winter 2014.


  • Students who are in programs where the fees are charged on a flat rate basis (such as thesis programs) and who take French courses as part of their program will not benefit from any reduction in fees.  Students taking French courses (that are eligible for reduction) that are taken as extra to their program will be charged additional fees at the Quebec rate.  Students should consult with their department in order to determine if such courses are part of their program or deemed to be extra.
  • Graduate Diploma, Certificate (Graduate or Undergraduate), Special, Visiting and Qualifying students.
  • Students in the following programs: Quebec Summer Studies Institute, International Masters Program in Practicing Management, International Masters for Health Leadership, Management International Summer Program, Distance programs in the Certificates in Educational Leadership, Masters of Business Administration, Executive Masters of Business Administration.

For further details, please visit the Student Accounts website.

*Important note: this information may be subject to change.

6. Students awaiting permanent residency in Canada and holding an eligible CSQ

Documents required: A valid study permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), a letter from CIC attesting that the student is awaiting permanent residency in Canada and a valid Certificat de Sélection du Québec (CSQ) issued by Immigration Québec.

Note: the CSQ must have one of the following category types: C0, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7, C8, F1, F8, H1, H2, H3, H4, H5, H6, HA, HB, HC, HD, HE, HF, HG, HH, HI, HJ, HK, HL, HM, HN, HO, ID, I4, I5, I6, IJ, IK, IL, IP, IT or RA AND the federal processing center must indicate one of the following: CTD of Vegreville, CIC of Missisauga-CTD, CIC of Montreal, CIC of Quebec, CIC of Hull, CIC of Sherbrooke or CIC of Trois-Rivières. If the CSQ does not have both these requirements, then the exemption is not applicable. Please see page 7 of the Politique.

7. Student is the dependent or the spouse of an individual with a Temporary Work Permit valid for a position in Quebec

The duration of the exemption is usually determined by the expiry date of the work permit. Please note that in order to be exempted for the semester, the expiry date of the work permit must be greater than or equal to the end date of the semester.

Note that this exemption is not applicable if:

  • The temporary worker who has been authorized to work on campus (part-time or full-time) is pursuing studies at the same time.
  • The temporary worker has been authorized to work in Canada for a maximum of one year after gaining a degree or diploma.
  • The work permit is open.

Documents required:
From the temporary worker:
A valid passport, and a valid work permit issued by Immigration Canada with one of the following case types: 07, 08, 20, 22, 23 or 26. The permit must also indicate the employer's name and location in Quebec (employment letters are NOT acceptable).
From the student: A valid passport, and study permit, and CAQ, and proof of relationship (e.g., marriage or birth certificate). Note that a statement on the work permit or visa regarding the relationship, e.g., "accompanied by (spouse or dependent's name)" is acceptable.

8. International organizations

Students who work for, or who are dependants of individuals employed by one of the international non-governmental organizations outlined in Annexe III of the Politique may apply for a tuition exemption. Like category 6 above, the exemption is only valid for the duration of the employment with the organization.

Documents required: A signed original attestation carrying the seal of the Protocole du Gouvernement du Québec. A valid Study Permit and CAQ are also required. Please see pages 5 and 14 of the Politique for an example of this attestation. Students must also submit a copy of the serving representative's diplomatic visa.

9. Fonds de la recherche en santé du Québec

Students participating in an FRSQ program.
Document required: Letter from the FRSQ.

For further information on these exemptions, or for clarification on any point above, please contact us.

Note: Students in the School of Continuing Studies should contact their Student Affairs Office.