Associate Dean, Academic
3644 Peel Street
CANADA H3A 1W9
hoi [dot] kong [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email)
Read his Publications on SSRN
Talking Teaching Profiles: Using feedback
Interview: Law by Design – The Boundary-Blurring Research of Professor Hoi Kong (Focus online, Feb 2013)
Hoi Kong teaches and researches in the areas of Constitutional Law, Comparative Law, Administrative Law, and Municipal Law.
From 2002 to 2003, he was law clerk to Justices Marie Deschamps and Claire L’Heureux‐Dubé at the Supreme Court of Canada. From 2003 to 2006, he was an Associate‐in‐Law at Columbia University, and from 2006 to 2009, he was an Assistant Professor of Law, cross‐appointed with the School of Urban and Regional Planning, at Queen’s University.
He is a recipient of the Queen’s University Law Students Society Teaching Excellence Award (2008).
Hoi Kong joined the Faculty of Law of McGill University in August 2009 and he is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada.
In May 2013, during Convocation ceremonies for the Faculty of Law of McGill University, Professor Kong was awarded the John Durnford Award for Teaching Excellence by the Law Student Association.
J.S.D., Columbia University, 2010
LL.M., Columbia University, 2006
B.C.L./LL.B., McGill University, 2002
M.A., McGill University, 1998
B.A., McGill University, 1995
Associate Dean, Academic, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2014-
Associate Professor, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2013-
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, McGill University, 2009-2013
Assistant Professor, Faculty of Law, cross-appointed with the School of Urban and Regional Planning, Queen’s University, 2006‐2009
Associate in Law, Columbia University, 2003‐2006
Law Clerk to the Honourable Claire L’Heureux Dubé and the Honourable Marie Deschamps, Supreme Court of Canada, 2002‐2003
- NAFTA and Sustainable Development: The History, Experience and Prospects For Reform (Cambridge University Press, 2015) 414 pages (co-editor, with L. Kinvin Wroth)
- L. Kinvin Wroth and Hoi L. Kong, “Introduction: NAFTA and Sustainable Development” in Kong & Wroth (eds.) NAFTA and Sustainable Development: The History, Experience and Prospects For Reform (Cambridge University Press, 2015) 1-12.
- “The Citizen Submissions Process in the North American Agreement on Environmental Cooperation: Theory and Practice in Deliberative Democratic Institutional Design for Transnational Institutions” in Kong & Wroth (eds.) NAFTA and Sustainable Development: The History, Experience and Prospects For Reform (Cambridge University Press, in press, 2015) 351-372.
- “The Unbounded Public Law Imagination of Roderick A. Macdonald” in Janda, Jukier and Jutras (eds.) The Unbounded Imagination of Roderick A. Macdonald (McGill-Queen’s University Press, 2015) 73-82.
- “Election Law and Deliberative Democracy: Against Deflation” (2015) 9 Journal of Parliamentary and Political Law 35-58.
- “Subsidiarity, Republicanism and the Division of Powers in Canada”, (2015) 45 Revue de droit de l’Université de Sherbrooke 13-46 (Special Issue on the Public Law Jurisprudence of the Hon. Marie Deschamps).
- “Democratic Deliberation in the Wild: The McGill Online Design Studio and the Regulation Room Project” (2014) 41 Fordham Urban Law Journal 1527-1580 (with Cynthia Farina et. al.).
- “Republicanism and the Division of Powers in Canada” (2014) 64:3 University of Toronto Law Journal 359-401.
Areas of Interest
Public Law Theory, Comparative Law, Constitutional Law, Administrative Law, Municipal Law, Land Use Planning Law.