Law students are invited to participate in the Faculty of Law’s High School Outreach Program (HSOP). What follows is a brief description of the program, how you can be involved, and when and where you can learn more about what we do.
The HSOP links McGill law students with students in five Montreal area high schools, some of which serve communities that have been historically underrepresented in legal academia and the legal profession. Our partner schools are:
- Kahnawake Survival School, Mohawk territory of Kahnawake
- James Lyng High School, Little Burgundy
- LaSalle Community Comprehensive High School, LaSalle
- École secondaire Pierre-Dupuy, Hochelaga-Maisonneuve
- Beurling Academy, Verdun
What can you bring to the program?
- Your perspective as someone who has successfully completed high school and made the transition to post-secondary studies;
- Your experience as someone who may have overcome adversity or systemic barriers to access post-secondary education;
- Your passion for learning and your belief in the power of education;
- Your curiosity about the rewards and challenges of teaching;
- Your commitment to putting your education and experience to work in the service of others.
HOW YOU CAN BE INVOLVED:
Be a facilitator In teams of three or four, you will be responsible for preparing and delivering law-related workshops to the high school students two or three times per term. Workshops cover such themes as: the legality of downloading; graffiti as vandalism or public art; mock sentencing circles, etc. You and your team will go to the same classroom each time, so as to build trust and cultivate relationships with the students. Facilitators will also be asked to be present for a February or March event when the high school students are invited to the Faculty and McGill campus for a day-long visit.
Be a Team Leader You will be responsible for a group that includes three other law student facilitators. You will organize a meeting with the other facilitators prior to each visit and guide the selection and creation of lesson content. You will participate in facilitating the lesson with your co-facilitators.
Be a Point Person You will be assigned to a participating high school and will schedule visits to that school for groups of law student facilitators.
POUR EN SAVOIR PLUS
Venez nous voir durant CLUBS DAY, organisé chaque septembre. Des dates seront annoncées.
SESSION OBLIGATOIRE DE FORMATION POUR LES ANIMATEURS
Les animateurs doivent suivre une formation obligatoire en préparation. La formation est prévue pour la fin de septembre 2011, d’autres détails suivront.
Si vous avez des questions, veuillez joindre Jean-Marc Lacourcière (outreach [dot] law [at] mcgill [dot] ca).