Quick Links

Exchange programs for law students

The Faculty of Law has a strong exchange program, consisting of partnerships with leading institutions around the world. Approximately 25% of undergraduate law students participate in an exchange or study abroad semester.

If you are a McGill law student who is interested in participating in an exchange, consult the Law students from McGill section below.

If you are a law student from another institution who is interested in coming to McGill on exchange, see the Law students from abroad section below.

Exchange information for law students from McGill

Important information for 2014-2015 applicants

Please visit the McGill Student Exchanges and Study Abroad (SESA) website and read the "How to apply" section carefully. Note the Faculty of Law application deadlines are much earlier than the rest of McGill. Also, unlike other McGill students, you do not have to indicate your exchange course selection at the application stage.

For more information, please read the following exchange application documents:

Exchange Information Session

Students planning to go on exchange or study abroad must attend the Exchanges information session to be held on Wednesday, October 2, 2013 from 1:00 to 2:30 in the Moot Court. Please note that students can only go on exchange in their 3rd or 4th year of the B.C.L./LL.B. program.

Application process and deadline

For all 2014-2015 exchange and study away programs (Summer 2014, Fall 2014, Winter 2015), students must apply by Monday, November 25, 2013. Should any spots remain available, second round applications for Winter 2014 exchanges will be due in May 2014. The application is a simple two-step process. 1) Fill in the appropriate Minerva online application ("Request for Exchange" or "Request for Study Away" or both). 2) Your CV must be submitted electronically to the Assistant Dean, Student Life & Learning via myFuture (look for the "Exchanges 2014-2015" posting under the "Jobs" tab). Minerva may send you an automated reply instructing you to bring your CV to the SAO - disregard these instructions! The entire exchange application is online.

The Faculty's selection process is based on the student’s stated academic, career and/or personal reasons for wanting to undertake law studies at the host institution, as well as the student’s academic record in the Faculty of Law. Students are required to have a minimum CGPA of 2.70.

In January 2014, students will find out if they have been nominated for an exchange. If you are nominated, you will then receive instructions on how to apply to your host institution. Note the final admissions decision rests with the host institution.

Please note: Students who are applying to an American University and need funding should apply for the Killam Fellowship. The deadline to apply typically falls in mid-January. We strongly recommend that you prepare, in advance, all necessary documents for this funding opportunity if you are applying to an American University.

Partner Institutions

The Faculty of Law and McGill University have entered into a number of bilateral exchange agreements with several universities around the world. The complete list of McGill's partner institutions may be found on the website of the McGill Student Exchanges and Study Abroad (SESA) Office. You are welcome to apply for an exchange at any of the universities listed on the SESA website - provided, of course, that they have a law faculty! When selecting your preferences, keep in mind that we have guaranteed exchange spots for McGill law students with the partners listed below (bilateral exchange partners, NACLE partners, CREPUQ members).

Bilateral exchange agreements (reserved space for McGill law students):

  • Australia:
    • University of Melbourne
    • University of New South Wales
  • Brazil: Fundacao Getulio Vargas (Rio or Sao Paulo campus TBC)
  • Canada: University of British Columbia
  • China: Fudan University
  • Denmark: University of Copenhagen
  • France: Institut d’études politiques de Paris (Sciences Po) (Master de droit économique).
  • Germany: European Business School
  • Hong Kong: University of Hong Kong
  • Italy: Università di Torino
  • Netherlands:
    • Rijksuniversiteit Groningen
    • Universiteit Maastricht
    • Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
  • Singapore: National University of Singapore
  • Spain: Universitat de Barcelona
  • Sweden: Lund University
  • United Kingdom: University of Edinburgh (full-year exchange)
  • United States: Vermont Law School (Environmental Law Center)

North American Consortium on Legal Education (NACLE)

In addition, the Faculty is a member of the North American Consortium on Legal Education (NACLE) which allows students to study at a number of American and Mexican institutions. For more information on NACLE, please consult the NACLE website.

  • Mexico:
    • Universidad Panamericana
    • Centro de Investigación y Docencia Económicas (CIDE)
  • United States:
    • George Washington University
    • University of Arizona
    • University of Houston
    • Southwestern Law School

    Conférence des recteurs et des principaux des universités du Québec (CREPUQ)

    McGill University is part of a multilateral exchange agreement established through the Conférence des recteurs et principaux des universités du Québec (CREPUQ). For a complete list of CREPUQ partners, visit the Programmes d’échanges d’étudiants de la CREPUQ site.

    The Faculty of Law has, over the years, established privileged relationships with the following CREPUQ partners:

    • France:
      • Université d’Aix-Marseille III
      • Université de Grenoble II
      • Université Jean Moulin Lyon III
      • Université Paris I

    Other institutions with no established exchange program ("study away")

    Students may also request permission to study for one term at a law faculty with which there is no established exchange program. If permission is granted, the student is responsible for applying directly to the host institution and must pay the host's tuition fees. In order to attend another university as a "study away" student, one must have sound academic and/or personal reasons for wanting to study at that institution. Please fill in the "Request for study away" form on Minerva. The same application deadline (November 25, 2013) applies.

    Credit equivalence

    The Assistant Dean (Student Life and Learning), in consultation with the student, will establish the student's curriculum of study for the exchange or study away program. At the start of their exchange semester, students must obtain confirmation from the Assistant Dean (Student Life and Learning) that the courses they have selected are approved for credit towards their McGill degrees. Students are expected to take the equivalent of 15 McGill credits during their exchange. Students who participate in a formal university exchange shall be eligible to transfer earned credits back to McGill if the grade earned for each course is equal to or higher than the grade/CGPA required to graduate form the host university. Students who study away at a non-partner institution or another Quebec institution must receive a minimum grade of "C" for credits to be granted. For details, please see the McGill Calendar, University Regulations and Resources.

    Upon receipt of an official transcript sent directly by the student's host institution, successfully completed transfer credits are entered on the McGill transcript (without grades) and are credited towards the law program. Grades for transfer credits do not enter into any McGill grade point calculations (TGPA/CGPA).

    Exchange Experience Reports

    Exchange information for law students from abroad

    To apply to McGill Law as an exchange or visiting student

    All questions regarding coming on exchange to the Faculty of Law of McGill University should be directed to the International Studies/Study Abroad Office of your home university. Every year, our exchange partners are sent a reminder that outlines McGill's Student Exchanges application requirements. McGill University will only review exchange applications that are formally submitted to us by the exchange coordinators of exchange partner universities.

    If your home university does not have an exchange agreement with McGill or if you have not been selected by your home university to study abroad under an exchange agreement, you may apply to the Faculty of Law as a Visiting student through the Undergraduate Law Admissions Office (see the Visiting student paragraph) or undergradadmissions [dot] law [at] mcgill [dot] ca (Email them) .

    You have been accepted as an exchange student to the Faculty of Law

    Congratulations on your acceptance: we look forward to welcoming you at McGill.

    Pre-Departure Information

    For complete pre-departure information, please consult McGill’s International Student Services website, where you can download the McGill Pre-Departure Guide, which is updated yearly.

    You will find also find useful information on McGill's Study Abroad website.

    Faculty-Specific Information

    Exchange students accepted to the Faculty of Law must make an advising appointment with the Assistant Dean, Student Life and Learning, to arrange their course selection. To make an appointment, students should sao [dot] law [at] mcgill [dot] ca (email the SAO) .

    Frequently asked questions by students coming from abroad

    How do I log onto Minerva?

    1. Go to Minerva.
    2. Click on the Login icon on the sidebar.
    3. Log in using your McGill student number and Personal Identification number (PIN), which were provided to you in the application acknowledgment notice which you received by e-mail. Your McGill student number also appears on your letter of acceptance.
    4. If you forget your PIN or have lost your McGill student number, call the Minerva Help Desk at 514-398-4474.

    How do I find out if I have been accepted to the exchange program?

    1. Log in to your Minerva record, select Applicant Menu > View Application Status.
    2. Click on your application(s) to display information, including the status.
    3. Once your offer appears on this status page, confirm or decline our offer of admission using Minerva.

    When can I register for courses?

    1. Once you have confirmed our offer of admission using Minerva, you will be able to register for your courses.
    2. Registration for exchange students will open on Minerva in mid-July, for both Fall and Winter courses.
    3. You may register for courses until mid September (inclusive) for Fall term courses, and until mid January (inclusive) for Winter term courses.
    4. Registration how-to information can be found on Minerva for students: registration step-by-step.

    Where do I find information on courses offered at McGill?

    You will find information on law courses offered, on our Current course information page. Complete course descriptions, including information on the method of evaluation and the schedule, are detailed in the Course Offerings document found on our Current course information page.

    How many credits should I register for?

    The average course load consists of 12 to 15 credits per term; a minimum course load of 12 credits per term is required to attain full-time status.

    How can I register for a full course load if many of the courses that I'm interested in have reached their registration limit?

    1. You should keep trying to register on Minerva for the courses you wish to take, in the event that space becomes available in those courses. This is most likely to happen during the course change period, which takes place each term during the first two weeks of classes.
    2. Upon arrival in Montréal, you will meet with the Assistant Dean (Internal Affairs) to complete your course selection, in keeping with the requirements of your home faculty. Admission to your preferred courses is probable, although not guaranteed.

    Can I register in any undergraduate courses?

    You may register in most upper-year undergraduate courses. Special permission is required for first-year courses.

    A few courses are not available to exchange students. Check the course descriptions in the current Course Offerings document found on our Current course information page, where such a restriction will appear under Maximum Enrolment.

    Can I register in graduate courses?

    Exchange students may register in a maximum of one graduate level course each semester, with permission of the Assistant Dean (Student Life & Learning). These courses are listed in the Course Offerings document found on our Current course information page. Note that some graduate courses are not open to undergraduate students. Registration for graduate courses cannot be done through Minerva.

    I have asked for on-campus accommodation and have received no confirmation of a reservation. Whom should I contact?

    1. If you requested on-campus housing, check on Minerva after you have been admitted to McGill to see if we have been able to offer you housing. On-campus accommodation for exchange students is not guaranteed.
    2. To check the status of your accommodation request, or to have your name put on a waitlist, please contact Residences and Student Housing, at 514-398-6368, or Graduate Housing Office, at 514-398-6050.

    Does McGill have a list of off-campus apartments?

    1. You will find an on-line listing of apartments available in Montréal on the McGill's Off Campus Housing website.
    2. Please note that you must have been admitted to McGill in order to access the Housing Lists shown in this website, and must have confirmed our offer of admission.