Law Student Affairs Forms


Report a conflict in your examination dates. Examination conflict report [.doc]
Defer an exam.

PDF icon Deferred examination form Winter 2016

First-time Final Exam Deferral-Pilot Project 2016-2017

PDF icon First-time Final Exam Deferral Application Request form-Winter 2017

PDF icon First-time Deferral-Affidavit Fall 2016

Extension Request Term Essay or Final Paper

PDF icon Extension Request Form Fall 2015

Sign an exam confidentiality agreement.

File Exam Confidentiality Agreement 2016

Review the mark of an exam or graded paper. Review of a Final Grade Application Form [.pdf] (rev. June 05, 2014)

Course Selection

As a Comité des Equivalence student

Microsoft Office document icon Bar Equivalence - Course Selection

As a Transfer or Advanced Standing student Transfer Student or Advanced Standing Student - Course Selection Form [.doc]
As a Exchange or Visiting student Exchange student and visiting student course selection form [.doc]
Become a Group Assistant. Group Assistant Application Form [.docx]
Take a graduate level course as an undergraduate or graduate student. MINERVA course form [.pdf]

Take an outside course (Law or Non-Law), students can now apply via the Minerva Exchange/Study Away menu.

Processing time is normally 5 to 10 working days of submission.

If approved, student will be issued a Letter of Permission (downloadable from Minerva) and the student's McGill record will be updated to “Term Away” (summer term).

Change a course (add/drop) a course (only if Minerva cannot be used to add-drop).

Course Change Request Disclaimer: Note that withdrawing from one or more courses during the semester may – where applicable – affect your government aid and/or McGill work--study eligibility.

For international students, it may also impact your immigration status and/or permission to work in Canada.

Please ensure that you are aware of any consequences related to this course withdrawal request: consult with Scholarships & Student Aid Office, International Student Services, and/or your Faculty Student Affairs Office, where relevant.

You are a non-Law McGill student who wants to take a course at the Faculty of Law.


PDF icon Application to register for law courses for McGill students?

(rev 2015) [.pdf]


Verify your degree requirements (degree audit) and complete surveys after receiving Advising.
Graduating? Complete the CDO Graduation Survey
Did you recently visit the SAO? Let us know about your experience!

Majors and Minors

As part of a Major, take an outside course at another law Faculty or a non-law course at McGill or another university.

(For courses at an institution in Quebec, you must go through CREPUQ)

Outside credits form for students in a major [.doc]
Apply for a Minor at McGill's Faculties of Arts or Science.

Microsoft Office document icon Application for a Minor

Apply for one of the two Major programs at the McGill Law, which are offered in Commercial Negotiation, and in International Human Rights and Development.

Microsoft Office document icon app-majors_0_3.doc

Completing a Major Internship and Mid-Term Final Report Major Internships mid-term and final reports – 2008-2009 [.doc]

Honours Program

Apply for the Law Faculty's Honours Program. Honours application form [.doc]
Complete Thesis Proposal and Literature Review Honours Thesis I (WRIT 450) Report [.doc]
Complete Thesis Research Report Honours Thesis II (WRIT 451) Report [.doc]
Complete Honours Thesis. Honours Thesis III (WRIT 452) Report [.doc]

Essay Forms

Use the Faculty of Law cover page for your written works. Cover page for written work [.doc]

Apply to write a Term Essay.

When deciding on the subject of your term essay, look at essay contests posted on this site and elsewhere. This may help select your subject and provide an opportunity to compete in various contests.

A supervisor for a Term Essay MUST be a fulltime Faculty member only. You may review the list and research areas here:

Term Authorization online form [web]. Please make sure to have your outline, bibliography and table of contents ready in a single file.
Apply to write a Senior Essay. Senior essay authorization form [.doc]
Senior essay tracking form [.doc]
Apply for a one-credit Writing and Drafting Project (WRIT 520) Writing and Drafting Project (WRIT 520) authorization form (2012) [.doc]

Internships, Clerkships, and Legal Clinic

Apply to student clerk at a court or administrative tribunal, or at one of the Montreal Courts.

PDF icon Student Clerkship Application Form (2017-2018) - Fillable PDF

Apply for the Legal Clinic Course.

PDF icon Application Form Informal RecruitmentPDF icon Information Booklet 2016-2017 Informal Recruitment

Write up your Student Court and Administrative Tribunal Clerkship report.  

Prizes and Scholarships

Nominate yourself or a fellow student for a prize or scholarship. Discretionary prizes online application form [web]
Apply for a post-graduate scholarship or travelling fellowship. (students will need to provide an updated CV with a projected budget, and get two respondents to email PDF letters of recommendation) Post-graduate scholarships online application form [web]
Apply for the Johnston Medal for outstanding contribution (graduating students). Students who graduate in the top 10% of their cohort are encouraged to submit this application form. Principal David Johnston Medal for Contribution online application form [web]

Attestation Letters

Request an attestaion letter from the SAO. Attestation Letter Request Form

Request an attestation letter for the LSUC, QC and/or NY Bar exam.

Bar Attestation Letters


Book an event at the law Faculty.

Before submitting a request to book an event, please read the McGill University Guildelines for Booking Occasional Events

SAO online room bookings [web]
Apply for after-hours access to McGill Law buildings. After Hours Access [.docx]
Request to view your student file at the SAO Request to view your student file [.doc]