Amit Assis, Simon and Ethel Flegg Postdoctoral Fellow
Areas of Interest
Native Israeli (‘Sabra’) Literature and Culture.
Cultural and literary Semiotics.
Authorship Function in Jewish Studies
B.A.: The Hebrew University 2000 (Cum Laude) Philosophy
M.A.: Bar Ilan University 2005 Cultural Studies
Ph.D.: Bar Ilan University 2012 Cultural Studies
Dissertation title: 'S. Yizhar: Poetics and Persona of an Author'
Supervisor: Dr. Rachel Albeck-Gidron.
Some publications download available here.
Other thoughts and writings about textuality, literature and Judaism and Israel at the Hebrew blog Con-text.
Current Research in Progress
- "'A Silent Autumn Evening': S. Yizhar and the Birth of the Sabra from the Spirit of Literature" – A book in Hebrew based on the dissertation.
- “The Poetics of Facing the Unrepresentable” – an introductory essay to S. Yizhar’s poetics and social agency, based on his works that were translated to English.
- “Terminal” – an analysis a site of contemporary sense of place based on lyrics by Meir Ariel.
- “On Bialiks Conception of Jewish Authorship” – an inquiry into a conceptual turn in Jewish textuality.
- “Rabbinic Narrative and Digital Narrative: an inquiry to shared characteristics”.
Articles in periodicals:
- "Literature, Identity and Identification in S. Yizhar's Work and its Reception", Iyunim Bitkumat Israel (studies in Israeli and modern Jewish society) 22 (2012), pp. 260-289.
- "Author-ity", Mafte'akh: Lexical Review of Political Thought 2e (2011), pp. 1-28.
- "Two Kings, One Crown, and Raban Gamliel's Court: Between Strategies of Justifying Authority and Signification of Time", Jerusalem Studies in Hebrew Literature XXIII (2009), pp. 53-75. [in Hebrew]
- "‘A Totally Different This’ – A Close Reading of Linguistic Strategies and of Representation Relations in a Paragraph of S. Yizhar’s ‘Yemei Ziklag’", Jerusalem Studies in Hebrew Literature XXII (2008), pp. 457-485. [in Hebrew]
- "The Deposit", in: Y. Elstein and A. Lipsker (eds.), Encyclopedia of the Jewish Story, Vol III, Bar-Ilan University Press, pp. 83-114 [in Hebrew]
- "The Loan", in: Y. Elstein, A. Lipsker and R. Kushelevski (eds.), Encyclopedia of the Jewish Story, Vol II, Bar-Ilan University Press: Ramat-Gan 2009, pp. 129-144. [in Hebrew]
- Co-Translated into Hebrew with Daniel Epstein: Emmanuel Levinas, God and Philosophy, Resling Publishers: Tel Aviv 2004.