Email changes coming soon - what you need to do
In our ongoing efforts to provide the McGill community with the most up to date, secure and reliable email service possible, McGill IT Services will be implementing several changes to the email infrastructure over the coming weeks and months.
- We will be migrating all McGill email accounts to Exchange server 2010. For more details, see the articles Exchange 2010 - Coming soon and New features of Outlook Web App on Exchange 2010.
- We have already introduced a new secure SMTP server for email clients using IMAP and POP protocols.
- We have updated all email configuration articles in the IT Knowledge Base with the optimal settings for the coming changes.
You will receive an email notification from IT Services before your account is moved to the new Exchange 2010 server, with an approximate date and any pertinent details about the move, including any updates you need to make in preparation.
Why wait? Here’s what you can do now for a smooth transition:
If you are using an email client, such as MS Outlook or Entourage, or a device such as an iPod Touch, we strongly recommend the following:
- Go to the Index of configuration articles for recommended email clients and devices.
- If you are not already using one of the recommended clients and versions, please install one and use the instructions provided to configure it to access your McGill Email.
- If you use IMAP or POP protocols for McGill Email, change your outgoing server to use the new SMTP server. For instructions, see the appropriate configuration article from the Index article mentioned above.
If you only access your McGill Email via the myMcGill portal or via Outlook Web Access (https://exchange.mcgill.ca) you don’t need to do anything. You will soon enjoy all the features of OWA on Mac as well as Windows, and across Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer.