McGill Password Reset Checklist
This checklist guides you through the process of resetting your McGill Password & other credentials, such as your Minerva PIN & Banner password (optional step #10).
If you have configured McGill services such as email, wireless, webfolders (WebDAV), on your computer, laptop or mobile device, have saved your McGill credentials in your browser for use in logging into myCourses, OWA, etc., you will have to change the password, or in some cases, delete and recreate the connection, to avoid being locked out of McGill systems by the old password.
IMPORTANT! Before starting this process you should:
- Close any other browser windows that may be logged in to McGill systems (myCourses, myMcGill, OWA, CenterStage, etc).
- Close any of your email clients that access your McGill email.
It is recommended that you follow the steps in this checklist in the order given. If you need additional assistance despite following these steps, please contact the IT Service Desk.
1. Change your McGill Password
Faculty, staff, students and alumni:
- Log into Minerva.
- Go to the Personal Menu, click on Password for McGill Username.
- Enter a new McGill Password, according to the onscreen instructions. Re-enter the new Password and click Submit.
Note: it may take up to 5 minutes for your new Password to take effect.
Affiliates and resource account sponsors:
- Go to Reggie > Change Account Information.
- Select McGill Password.
- McGill Username: enter the account's McGill Username or Short Username
- McGill Password: enter the account's password
- Click Next.
- Follow the instructions to change the password. It will take effect immediately.
2. McGill Faculty & Staff - restart your computer
If you log into your work computer with your McGill Username and Password, restart your computer as soon as possible and login with your new password so that your cached McGill credentials are updated. This will synchronize your connections to email, departmental folders, etc. so they use the new password.
Laptop users: once you've changed your password, it is extremely important to restart your laptop and login with your new password while connected to the McGill network, especially if it’s a laptop that you bring home. Otherwise, it might not recognize your new password. If you forget, you should still be able to log into it using your old password until you are again connected to the McGill network.
3. McGill Wireless users - delete your saved WiFi connections
If you have mobile devices (laptop/tablet/smartphone) that are configured to use McGill Wireless, you must delete the saved connections and then recreate them. Otherwise, you may be unable to connect to the McGill Wireless network even if you were prompted to enter your new password.
4. McGill Email / EVault
- The majority of email clients will prompt you to enter your new password.
- If you have McGill email set up on your mobile device (smartphone / tablet), you will have to manually change the password.
- If you access your McGill email through Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo or another web-based email service, you will have to delete and then re-add the account.
- Depending on your EVault setup, you may be prompted to enter and save your new password.
See change a saved password in your email client for detailed, client-specific instructions.
5. Saved passwords in browsers
If you use your browser’s ability to save your login credentials for any of McGill’s online systems or services, such as myCourses, OWA, CenterStage, etc., you will have to delete saved passwords.
6. Webfolders (WebDAV)
If you have set up access to personal (P: or R: drive) or departmental network drives on your home computer or laptop, you must delete the existing connections and reconfigure them.
7. Lync phone users
You will have to log in and out of the computer that your Lync phone is connected to in order to ensure your phone remains synchronized. Once you log back in to your computer, open the Lync client and enter your new password in the Credentials are required window. See change your saved password in Lync for detailed, client and phone-specific instructions.
8. Other systems
If you have subscribed to RSS feeds from CenterStage or other online McGill systems (not including Channels) that required you to sign in to them in order to set up the feed, you will need to update the stored McGill password.
Windows 7 & 8 identity management:
If you use Windows 7 & 8 Credential Manager (on a personal computer/laptop), you must update or delete any saved entries for your McGill Username and McGill Password.
Note: this checklist only covers systems managed by McGill IT Services. Your department may have additional systems that you log into with your McGill Username and Password.
9. Optional: change other credentials
Present, Starfinder, DASTools: these systems do not use your McGill Password; however you can choose to change the password they use at this time.
Change your Minerva PIN
Note: These instructions are for users who know their current Minerva PIN.
- Log into Minerva.
- Go to the Personal Menu, then click on Minerva PIN.
- Enter your old PIN, then enter your new PIN twice, following the onscreen instructions.
- Click Change PIN to finish.
Verify/set your Minerva Security Question
- Go to the Personal Menu, then click on Minerva Security Question.
- If you already have a Security Question selected, ensure you know the response. Otherwise, select a new question and enter a response.
Note: If you had previously entered a response you will not see it, you will only see the selected question.
(Staff only) Change your Password for Banner, ApplicationXtender, and the Data Warehouse
While you can choose to set this password to match your McGill Password, for added security, we recommend using a different one.
- In Minerva, go to the Personal Menu, then click on Password for Banner/Imaging/Data Warehouse.
- Enter a new password, according to the onscreen instructions. Re-enter the new password and click Submit.
- Click Submit to finish.