Admissions to the MA Program
Admissions to the Institute of Islamic Studies
The primary focus of the Institute of Islamic Studies is on graduate education and offers programmes for the Master's and PhD degrees. Admission to the Institute of Islamic Studies is highly competitive and spaces are limited.
N.B. Application deadline – January 15th of every year for admission in the following September
All documents must be received at the Institute by this date. A file with late documents will be rendered incomplete and might not be reviewed by the admissions committee.
Admissions to the MA programme
All prospective students must meet the following admissions criteria:
- BA degree (or equivalent)
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 out of 4.0 or GPA of 3.2 out of 4.0 in last two years of full-time study
- English proficiency
- Complete application file
- Prospective students must have a BA degree (or equivalent) from a recognized university, with a minimum Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0 out of 4 (or equivalent), OR a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.2 out of 4 in the last two years of full-time studies, according to Canadian standards. The BA degree should be in the Humanities or Social Sciences, preferably with a Major in Islamic Studies or Middle Eastern Studies.
- Applicants whose first language is not English and/or who have not studied in an institution where English is the language of instruction, must submit acceptable evidence of competence in English before their application for admission can be considered. The Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies’ website provides detailed information on English Requirements.
- Knowledge of Arabic at the first-year level is an asset to any student applying to this programme.