Transferring from MSc to PhD
As an IPN MSc student, you can transfer to the PhD program through the Candidacy Exam if:
- You have a GPA > 3.3 out of 4.0 at the Masters level*
- You have the recommendation of your Advisory Committee that you are an appropriate candidate for PhD studies.
*M.Sc. students who wish to pursue a PhD degree but who have not obtained the minimum 3.3 GPA in their M.Sc. course work while in the IPN must submit a Master's thesis and then apply for the Ph.D. level afterwards.
The transfer from MSc to PhD may be completed any time within the time limitations for the MSc degree, but no later.
Steps to transfer:
- Submit Ph.D. Thesis Proposal and present to Advisory Committee.
- Advisory Committee recommends proceeding with Candidacy Exam.
- Complete the Candidacy Exam (the IPN office requires 1 month notice.)
(Register for NEUR700 in the term in which you take the Candidacy Exam.)
- Notify ipn [dot] admissions [at] mcgill [dot] ca of your intent to transfer in order to receive permission to apply to the Fast Track PhD. Then submit an application as a Fast Track applicant on UApply. (NB. if you are transferring to the PhD, you do not have to submit any supporting documents or pay the applicaiton fee.)
MSc to PhD Transfer Application Deadlines
|International Student||uApply Deadline||March 15|
|Candidacy Exam Deadline||May 14|
|Canadian Student||uApply Deadline||June 1|
|Candidacy Exam Deadline||June 30|
|January 2016 Start-date|
|International Student||uApply Deadline||September 10|
|Candidacy Exam Deadline||September 30|
|Canadian Student||uApply Deadline||November 10|
|Candidacy Exam Deadline||November 30|
*Students transfer into PhD2.